Take It To The Grave -looking for some constructive reviews, Thanks

Patient Dreams

• Members

i listened twice.

the vocal effect is very distracting. it doesn't add any musical element to the song for me....at least not in a tasteful way. it's almost like a "mask" for your vocals.

i don't know if i like the drum pattern....i mean that. i don't know. there's a cool linearness to it, but i think it's overdone. it's a great thing to put in a particular section that you want some rhythmic highlighting in, but i don't know for the whole song.

that one drum fill is getting a bit tiring by the end of the tune, man. :) you might want to bite back a bit on that - like once in the whole song.

i feel like this song is better than its production and its arrangement right now. the hook is not jumping out at me, but definitely strong and you seem to know how to use it. i'd like to hear this song flushed out by a strong rock band - i think it holds up.

peace,

g

• Members

Have you tried some harmonies for the chorus parts?

That would be a great idea. The chorus really needs something--otherwise, it kind of melts into the verse.

You've got an arrangement that supports the lyric, and seems to change just enough throughout to maintain interest. I agree w/ BlueSway about the drum fill--it's almost comical by the 8th time it comes up, like you're playing with a novice drummer who just learned a new lick.

• Members

Not bad! I agree with a previous listener that this song has good bones. Just enough musical contrast between the verse & the chorus to let the listener know when you've moved to a new song section. And the overall gritty/country/rock feel of the song supports the lyric idea well.

Because you repeat a lot of the same lyrics, I might consider trying to draw even more musical contrast in the second half of the song compared to the first. You could layer in a counterpoint melody, add vocal harmonies, add or substitute a chord or two in the progression... something to surprise the listener. Good luck with this one.

• Moderators

I think you need to go back and work on the melody a bit. There is very little movement from a just a few notes. The first thoughts I had were of Ronnie Van Zant. And that's a good thing... so why not try to add a bit more flavor in your melody line a la Van Zant?

• Members

The song was more of a "lets see what the hell we can do with this" type of song. The droning was deliberate. Singing and drums still remain to be our weakest points. The mixing chain is'nt helping the problem any either. We'll keep banging away. We take all the input and greatly appreciate any feedback, good or bad. Thanks

• Members

The song was more of a "lets see what the hell we can do with this" type of song. The droning was deliberate. Singing and drums still remain to be our weakest points. The mixing chain is'nt helping the problem any either. We'll keep banging away. We take all the input and greatly appreciate any feedback, good or bad. Thanks

cool, bro. post again when ready!

g

PS - and do try and get some opinions on others' music often...it kind of ensures you getting good feedback here.

• Members

the thing about drum fills is you never hear them on radio. that goes for drum machines too.

most recording sessions could and should be done with a bass drum, a snare, high hat maybe one crash.

everything else, especially the tom toms, should be hidden from the drummer in another part of the building.

• Members

MickeyDean -Nice sound you got there. I agree with the drum comment. Just have a problem getting people to relax. Actually me included. Thanks for the reply and listen.

you know i think the only way people relax in the studio is to do it a million times.

at least for me anyway, studio was all more terrifying that live.

• Members

Now me, I enjoy climbing into and song a recording over and over again. Maybe the trade off is nothings done on the comp. except sometime a finally mix down or converting to MP3. The only problem I have other than the song itself is get the sound to work right. That in itself is a project that I'm finding out is anything but simple. Thats for the replies.

Archived