ZZ Top....awesome in the 70's....sellouts in the 80's

Jimmyohio75

• Members

"In 1984, the Gillette Company reportedly offered Gibbons and Hill US$1 million each to shave their beards for a television commercial but they declined, stating "We're too ugly without 'em""

Doesn't sound like they're sellouts to me...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The sound was a natural progression from "cheap sunglasses" on Deguello, then the El Loco album. El Loco to Eliminator isn't a stretch.

Also, MTV was still real new in '83 and hairbands hadn't taken it over yet. It was still fairly eclectic. Def Leppard had the pyromania videos around the same time. So ZZ top wasn't "jumping on the hair band wagon".

• Members
Also, MTV was still real new in '83 and hairbands hadn't taken it over yet. It was still fairly eclectic. Def Leppard had the pyromania videos around the same time. So ZZ top wasn't "jumping on the hair band wagon".

:thu:

The only thing that was a sellout movie, and particularly an MTV sellout move, was the fade-out at the end of the song and music video clip of Sharp Dressed Man.

Even though it was big in the late 1950s & 1960s (eg. Too Many Fish in the Sea, those sorts of songs), I always felt like it was such an 80's MTV-type of thing to have fade-outs. To me it's such a cheapskate & lame way to end a song. :facepalm:

Archived