ZZ Top....awesome in the 70's....sellouts in the 80's

Jimmyohio75

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also, when I went to that Texas Monthly Talks interview with Billy Gibbons he explained the story about the fuzz hat... Gibbons visited Morocco and met the Prime Minister or Ambassador or some {censored}, and Billy was wearing a cowboy hat. The Amabassador/Minister (cant remember what Billy said he was exactly) said he wanted Billy's cowboy hat. Billy was like, "Im not just giving it to you for free, we barter in Texas." :D

So the Moroccan gave him the hat he was wearing and Billy gave him his cowboy hat. And since then Billy has worn that hat pretty much everday.

• Members

I like the 80s ZZTop {censored}. I saw them on the Afterburner tour and it was great. Sequences and synths aside, it still sounds like ZZTop and those songs stand alone without it. That said, my favorite Billy tones are from Eliminator and Afterburner (particularly Afterburner). I get made fun of it, but I love the guitar work in "Rough Boy".

• Members

I like the 80s ZZTop {censored}. I saw them on the Afterburner tour and it was great. Sequences and synths aside, it still sounds like ZZTop and those songs stand alone without it. That said, my favorite Billy tones are from Eliminator and Afterburner (particularly Afterburner). I get made fun of it, but I love the guitar work in "Rough Boy".

Cool. My fav Billy tones are on Mescalero. Those downtuned fuzzy tones are just sick. Of course I love all the old classic tones too.:cool:

• Members

Rough Boy is a great song. I actually liked that version they did on Crossroads with Brooks and Dunn too. :eek:

• Members

Also, when I went to that Texas Monthly Talks interview with Billy Gibbons he explained the story about the fuzz hat... Gibbons visited Morocco and met the Prime Minister or Ambassador or some {censored}, and Billy was wearing a cowboy hat. The Amabassador/Minister (cant remember what Billy said he was exactly) said he wanted Billy's cowboy hat. Billy was like, "Im not just giving it to you for free, we barter in Texas."
:D

So the Moroccan gave him the hat he was wearing and Billy gave him his cowboy hat. And since then Billy has worn that hat pretty much everday.

That's funny as {censored} :D

• Members

The first three ZZ albums and the last three have my favorite tones
:love:

Me too, until recently. My least favorite of their stuff has always been Tejas.

A few months ago I sat down and listened to it again from start to finish. I don't know if it was the weed I was smoking or what but I fell in love with that record! Completely different from anything else Billy did, to my ears anyway. Probably because he did most of the record on SS vox amps. :eek: The two wacky harmonics he hits in the first 15 seconds of Ten Dollar Man is one of my favorite Billy moments of all time.

Give it a listen, if you get the chance. I suggest around 11:30 pm with a good smoke or a drink.

BTW, it contains no disco.

• Members

oh my god people they didn't even sell out anyway.

synthesizers were NEW MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS that they EXPERIMENTED WITH. they could *always* write catchy hooks --- that was NOTHING NEW. The only new thing was SYNTHS and DRUM MACHINES which were NEW TOYS TO EXPERIMENT WITH.

*****that is NOT selling out***** it is expanding your musical horizons/abilities.

The fact that it rocketed them to superstardom was merely a byproduct of making kick ass songs.

Billy and Dusty and Frank did not sit down and say.... hmmm, ok, on this album, we want to get super {censored}ing rich and screw our old fans.

Billy said, wow, this synth is {censored}ing fun as hell to play with and makes some crazy sounds ---- i wonder if i could use it on the record???

they are not a sellout band yall are retarded

Archived