ZZ Top....awesome in the 70's....sellouts in the 80's

Jimmyohio75

• Members

How come ZZ Top had so much great music early in their careers, i.e, Tush, La Grange, Waitin For the Bus, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Heard it On The X, etc., etc. Then when MTV appeared in the early 80's they started playing crap like Sharp Dressed Man and Legs. I love early ZZ Top but can't stand late stuff. Why do bands do this?

Wait, don't tell me...........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, .....yes they did sell out.

Worse thing they did to me was on the 6-pack cd of their old music which was to edit for digital drums :facepalm:

BOOO!

I respect them as musicians but hate what they have become. I had every album up until Eliminator! Then I never bought a one

• Members

ZZ Top did the 80s way better than most 80s bands. At the time, I'm sure most people saw it as keeping in touch with the times or whatever. Playing the same stuff for 40 years is redundant, so you might as well try something new. They made the $ and then left the mainstream again, their latest stuff aint poppy.

• Members

I don't they sold out. Their music fit the 70's just as it fit the 80's. The stuff they did in the 70's wouldn't have fit in the 80's and it probably would have flopped. Personally, I like it when a band isn't afraid to change gears a little. If ZZ had continued their early 70's era boogie blues style, they probably would be remembered now in the same way people remember Foghat.

I thought Eliminator was one of the best records of the 80's and has aged well. Certainly much better than the music of most 80's bands.

• Members

They sell out every gig they play. As said, Rev Billy G plays what he wants and people like it.

The new stuff? Well as a long time Top fan of old, I actually think Mescalero is close to the best, if not the best, ZZ Top album ever recorded. It flat out rocks.:cool:

• Members

I don't they sold out. Their music fit the 70's just as it fit the 80's. The stuff they did in the 70's wouldn't have fit in the 80's and it probably would have flopped. Personally, I like it when a band isn't afraid to change gears a little. If ZZ had continued their early 70's era boogie blues style, they probably would be remembered now in the same way people remember Foghat.

I thought Eliminator was one of the best records of the 80's and has aged well. Certainly much better than the music of most 80's bands.

this has been read and found to be exceedingly correct.

70s zz top rocked

80s zz top rocked as well, to a new beat

90s zz top still rocked

zz top still rocks today.

the management.

• Members

how is using a new tool to expand your musical arsenal "selling out"??? maybe you guys forgot that synths were pretty new in the late 70s/early 80s and people were experimenting with them.

if a group made the exact same {censored} 10 albums in a row with no growth, wouldn't that get boring??

Billy still ripped it like crazy in the 80s thru today, what more do you want?

• Members

Uhhh, seasoned professionals who didn't make a ton of money in the 70s see that they CAN make a ton of money in the 80s. I think that was a shrewd decision.

Session players everywhere cashed in, from Toto, Mister Mister, Missing Persons, Journey, the list goes on.

It is called making money, not very hard to understand and if you are still having issues look at people selling whatever for home heating fuel this year or trading Les Pauls for chainsaws on Craigslist.

Billy is living large thanks to him "selling out".

• Members

They were one of the FEW bands that made a successful transition from radio to video. They deserve kudos. If they kept doing "the same old thing" they would have fallen by the wayside and be just another "classic" lame band.

Once you sign a contract, music is a business, not an art. Get over it.

-W

• Members

ZZ top rocks, and im sure this has been explained before, but what exactly is that hat he wears? no flaming, genuinely curious. i know its some tribal thing, but seriously WTF? i saw them on the salute the troops thing the other night (tarnished horribly by jessica simpson) and he had a hat on over the thing. it appears he never takes it off. whats the deal?

• Members

ZZ top was my nursery rhymes and barney songs. I knew all the words to the deguello album by age 3. I asked for a walkman for christmas just so I could listen to ZZ Top on the school bus. I appreciated the irony of listening to "waitin' for the bus", while waiting for the bus. Then at around age 8, I expanded my tastes to include Van Halen. Then I discovered Deicide at 11, and the rest was history :thu:

But seriously. ZZ Top is one of the greatest bands to ever exist, through all eras.

Archived