stuck in a big rut

johnnyswitch

• Members

and stagnating...

I haven't written a new song in months. I have no inspiration or motivation or patience to do so anymore. I still love playing, still love music.. still love the IDEA of writing songs and have hopes and goals and IDEAS but no wherewithal to make them into songs and work with them.

It's really been months. I'm dying here.

Today I picked up the guitar intending to come up with one - ONE - new riff or chord progression that hasn't been drilled into the ground and isn't one of my older songs just moved around on the fretboard. THE BEST THING I CAME UP WITH WAS AN E BLUES. God damnit guys...

what do I do?

My lyric writing has gone downhill to the max in proportion to the downhill of my music writing.. y'know I used to come up with some decently original stuff. I'm all dried up. :( :(

• Members

Listening to completely different music to normal can help me. I can sometimes get inspiration from sources that I would never suspect!

I understand the feeling though, it's common to everyone from time to time. I just accept that I'm not the most prolific writer, but I agree with Randall about forcing it out...don't! It's kind of like trying to get to sleep at night when you know you have a big day ahead and you just HAVE to get to sleep NOW. It just means that the more you try, the less likely it is that you'll sleep.

Maybe your inspiration comes from times of adversity and you are having a really settled time in your life. I know that effects me :)

Apart from that, listen and watch as much music as you can. It will come back.

• Members

Maybe try to play another instrument, if that is possible? I shift regularly between my western guitar and my nice soundbanks. It very "gate-opening"
;)
to have some other sounds come at you - especially if you're dried up.

Very good advice - I play guitar but fiddling on the keyboard can be extremely inspirational. Also I'm working on my chops by doing a cover of a blues tune (in E BTW lol) just to get my fingers moving a bit more.

Sometimes a rest is good - reflect back on what you've done and enjoy it for a while before moving on to the next project.

• Members

what do I do?

i listen to the voices ... when they're not there, i do other things until they get back ...

i try not to force it ... it's all a greater thing than i can understand

you don't HAVE to write songs ... so don't... one day it will click and something will happen

• Members

I was about to start this thread. I want to write songs, I love playing my guitar; I can play rhythm and/or lead. I can also write all kinds of lyrics all day long, I'm very good with words, almost majored in english in college. But when I try to put the two together I usually create a bog of boredom.

As for your dilemma. I usually find inspiration when I am furthest from my tape recorder. The only advice I can offer is to try to spice up your old stuff with new rhythm. Switch old chord progressions around and spice it up with some unusual beats.

I like listening to the Who for "beat" inspiration. Townesend was a great rhythm guitarist.

• Members

and stagnating...

. . . . Today I picked up the guitar intending . . . .

THERE'S the problem. intending.....don't do that.

in all seriousness, it's not helping. you WON'T be creative if you keep stressing like it seems you're doing.

- g

we've all been there

• Members

and stagnating...

I haven't written a new song in months. I have no inspiration or motivation or patience to do so anymore. I still love playing, still love music.. still love the IDEA of writing songs and have hopes and goals and IDEAS but no wherewithal to make them into songs and work with them.

It's really been months. I'm dying here.

Today I picked up the guitar intending to come up with one - ONE - new riff or chord progression that hasn't been drilled into the ground and isn't one of my older songs just moved around on the fretboard. THE BEST THING I CAME UP WITH WAS AN E BLUES. God damnit guys...

what do I do?

My lyric writing has gone downhill to the max in proportion to the downhill of my music writing.. y'know I used to come up with some decently original stuff. I'm all dried up.
:(
:(

You've got the blues.

Embrace the blues.

;)

Q: What did the bluesman's tombstone say?

A: Didn't wake up this morning...

• Members

you're not gonna come up with something brilliant and original just by wanting to. you have to put a lot of consistent effort into it day after day.

and you can put a lot of consistent effort into it day after day and never come up with something brilliant and original

doesn't life suck?

;)

• Members

Today I picked up the guitar intending to come up with one - ONE - new riff or chord progression that hasn't been drilled into the ground and isn't one of my older songs just moved around on the fretboard. THE BEST THING I CAME UP WITH WAS AN E BLUES.

I know the feeling. When I was a teenager trying to write songs, (I had no friends, so this is basically what I spent all my time doing) I had the worst case of writers block for a long time. Fortunately that was over a decade ago, and it hasn't come back since. (Although sometimes, I do find myself short on motivation, but that's a different story.) It's just a matter of having faith in your own abilities and not judging yourself too early in the process. I'm rarely knocked out by a song when I first write it. I just have to trust that I'll end up with something decent, and eventually it grows on me.

Try writing on a different instrument. If that doesn't work (or isn't within your ability), just learn a bunch of songs. Play some of your favorites; play some that you've never played before. Do it for fun. It's just a matter of listening and absorbing. Eventually you'll notice that little echoes of what you've learned from playing other people's music find their way into your own stuff, and you wind up with a wider pallete to draw from. At least that's been my experience.

And if all you can come up with for now is that E blues, then work on that E blues. It might be just the thing to spark your creativity enough to be able to write more.

As for lyrics, try starting with just a hook or title line (doesn't have to be anything extraordinary--just something to point you in a direction), and work from there. Probably one of the most effective ways I've found to get something going.

• Members

+1 to different instruments, old songs, a new approach, all of that stuff.

Sometimes I get in some bad ruts and find myself playing new riffs in the same timing as my old ones, and can't get out. Also sometimes just being totally unable to come up with anything. Sucks big.

If you can plink around on a Banjo, Bass, Keyboards, anything different from your main squeeze, it'll take you to new places and shake the rut, in my experience.

Worst thing you can do is get discouraged and stop. Nothing ever came from that, IMO.

Good luck.:thu:

• Members

I'd like to second the opinions about playing another instrument, if you have access, and trying out alternate tunings. One of my favorites is open G with the low string de-tuned to B. B-G-D-G-B-D. Gives easy access to I, IV, and V (G,C,D) in first position.

Good luck to ya!

• Members

On the note of girlfriends and such, is life kind of stagnant in general? Job, woman, routine, etc.

I've had the girlfriend thing before, but I didn't end it to spice up my writing, it ended because it was already over and that was what kept me from writing.

Stale chips taste bad. Maybe some other aspect of life is keeping your mind still, thereby limiting your expression?

Maybe not, but it does happen.

Keep on:thu:

Archived