FOR PUBLISHERS: ASCAP OR BMI?

9thWardRecords

• Members

I think you're a bit confused as to how the music industry works...neither ASCAP or BMI are "publishers".

Basically, ASCAP and BMI are there to protect your rights as a songwriter. They're non-profit organizations that collect licensing fees from those who use your works (radio, tv, jukeboxes, what have you) and then pays you royalties. They make sure you get the cash you deserve, and they take a small percentage off the top in order to fund themselves.

Really it's a toss-up either way. BMI has been performing a bit better lately than ASCAP, but the difference is negligible. Also, keep in mind that your band and yourself can be associated with different performing rights organizations (personally, I'm affiliated with BMI whereas my band has been affiliated with ASCAP ever since it was formed).

The Wiki artice on PROs is a good place to start for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performing_right_organization

Hope this helps!

• Members

ummmm. for a PUBLISHER? both, man. you have to have both. one for getting royalties when a BMI artist covers your material, and one for getting royalties when an ASCAP artist covers it.

get both. you're going to have to put a slight variation on the name of your company, since both can't be registered under one name. so, it'd be "9th ward music publishing" for one and "9th ward publishing" for another...or "9th ward songs" or ...(you get the idea)

- g

Archived