Instrumentals, indie, expiremental...

Fenderman1991

• Members

Bands like Explosions in the Sky, Tera Melos, Stay {censored}ed, and even Minus the Bear...how would one go about composing pieces like theres?

Did I mention I'm all alone? :poke:

I love the sound of these kinds of songs, but being alone as of now leaves me a bit incapacitated of making extremely intricate multiple instrument pieces. I can do guitar, bass, and generic drums or even drums on a machine....

What would you give to me as tips, pointers, or etc.

Thanks.

• Members

Bands like Explosions in the Sky, Tera Melos, Stay {censored}ed, and even Minus the Bear...how would one go about composing pieces like theres?

Did I mention I'm all alone? :poke:

I love the sound of these kinds of songs, but being alone as of now leaves me a bit incapacitated of making extremely intricate multiple instrument pieces. I can do guitar, bass, and generic drums or even drums on a machine....

What would you give to me as tips, pointers, or etc.

Thanks.

Buy a couple of keyboards (Yamaha, Korg, Roland), buy several Soft Synth instruments, I have East West Storm Drum, East West Colossus, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Dimension, and several others that come with my sequencer (Sonar 7). This will give you an expansive library of sounds.

Afterwards, start writing! I have never heard of these artists so I can't tell you how they do it, however, I also write instrumental music, and, I feel my music is "intricate" and full of multiple instruments.

This of course is the cheap way (although still expensive). You could always pay for musicians to play each and every instrument. That might cost you 10's of thousands of dollars in the long run!

• Members

Tela Melos mostly just sounds like noise to me. They have their moments, though.

I think EITS songs are more about creating a feeling than the actual compositions themselves. They're not about technical perfection, but about composing an atmosphere or mood through tonality, effects, and tension and release.

I don't know any Stay {censored}ed yet.

Minus the Bear has vocals in some of their songs. I think their guitar sound is kind of between EITS, the Bravery, and Modest Mouse.

Anyhow, I'm not really sure how writing instrumentals is different from writing other types of music.

• Members

Yeah, they're basically varried styles, Tera Melos and Stay {censored}ed are heavy and noisy, while EITS and MTB tend to be melodic. I'd rather stay more to the MTB and EITS side of things, cause when it comes to the other ones, it normally takes a wild drummer to make it awesome, as in TM and SF.

I've gotten started tonight. I just recorded the bassline and interesting little guitar tidbits, I'll further it along tomorrow. I'll share when I get something down, regardles of it's quality since I currently lack a good recorder...it's what I'm currently GASing for...

I guess I'm satisfied with my guitar, and the drums are computer generated/loop pedal tracks since my set is downstairs and I'm recording upstairs, so until I get my Fostex, I'll have to use synthetic drums.

What I'm mainly concerned about is basslines. I only dabble in bass, whats the key to writing good basslines? And how cna I apply them to these types of songs?

Thanks for all the help! I'm listening to as much of these bands as I can to get insperation too.

• Members

i would say try and layer..i made my own sort of guitar instrumental explosions in the sky piece....i started with a basic guitar riff played through the song..and then i inserted different guitar solos/riffs along the way. Just come up with the foundation and work up. Explosions in the sky is awesome..and minus the bear is really good too...if your looking for any sort of tone...i know eits uses vox amps...but the creativity for songs..well thats just gotta come from you.

• Members

Actually, I think EITS usually mostly fender amps.

Ah, here we go:

PLIFIERS:

Mark plays through a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.

Michael uses a Peavy T-Max bass head, along with an Ampeg SVT-410AV (4x10 cabinet).

Munaf plugs into a Fender Dual Showman head with a Fender 2x12 cabinet.

http://www.rectangular.org/explosions/equipment.htm

• Members

I'd have to say the key to making experimental music is to experiment. Get to it, and see what you find.

Yeah, the impression I get is that people think it's just another type of music, not a.. methodology. Or anti-methodology.. errrrrr maybe!?!?!

• Members

I know it's a methodology. :D

But it's a genre too, amirite?

Anyway, I have something down. It wasn't at all what I was expecting when I heard my song in my head, but things just took off with my looper and this is what popped out in the end. THe lead is basically just improv I did over the main thing.

Listening back, it might be too busy. Like I layered 4 or 5 tracks onto it. But whatever. It was my first try. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. :)

Links will come soon, I'm just settting up a Soundclick so...

Tell me what you think and all. I can take it if you hate it. :(:)

Like I said it's my first, so more will come. :thu:

• Members

I typically string instrumentals together when I'm attempting to capture some type of mood.

Or when I come across a little noodly bit when I'm jamming and it sticks with me. Then I'll build around it and see where it takes me.

I think it's just about finding something that catches your attention and going with it. *shrug*

The only one I've gotten around to recording is "Finally the Sun". You can listen to it here.

(The other song that's up is less like what I'm doing these days, but feel free to take a peek ;))

Archived