Are Tube Amps Overrated?

VanHalen

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Retubed and biased properly, the TSL 60 sounds fine when cranked way up. (It's not a good low volume amp at all, IMO.) It's not great- I sold mine when I got a 2204- but it's not horrible either. The loop on it is crap though, and I'm not at all surprised that combination didn't work out.

• Members

its not the best marshall tone but it beats the hell out of any modern marshalls.

I've put up my 6100, Silver Jubilee and JVM and preferred them... but prefer the Cameron Modded '59 SLP, Mojave Peacemaker, JTM45, and a few others, that I have lying around. I am fond of options... There is no right or wrong regarding preferences, except when someone with a tin ear is trying to discuss the merits of good tone, and what I SHOULD be going after, as if they had the slightest clue in the 1st place. :lol::thu:

• Members
Tube does not equal great tone automatically. I've heard some crappy tube amps. There are a lot of factors involved. A good quality tube amp with good tubes will blow a Solid state amp away 99% of the time at band volumes.

Good points again. I have always heard that tube amps are better, but after going from the TSL60 tube amp to the Line 6 Spider III HD 150 amp and hearing it sound so much better, I didn't know what to think. I figured you guys would give me the lowdown on the real deal and clear up any wrong assumptions that I had based on my limited tube vs. solid state experience.

:wave:

• Members

Good point. Unfortunately, the 4-cable method doesn't work on the TSL60. I have no idea why not. You would expect for that kind of money it would have a high-end effects loop.

Good points again. I have always heard that tube amps are better, but after going from the TSL60 tube amp to the Line 6 Spider III HD 150 amp and hearing it sound so much better, I didn't know what to think. I figured you guys would give me the lowdown on the real deal and clear up any wrong assumptions that I had based on my limited tube vs. solid state experience.

:wave:

I would figure, YOU... VanHalen, would apppreciate Edward Van Halen's tones and try using some of the methods for running gear, that Eddie did/does--using the gear that he used/does... but that's just me figuring-- wrong I guess.

It's TRUE, just because they say Marshall on them, doesn't mean they're all equal and up to the task of achieving a given result. Using the right tool/tools for the job is KEY to achieving success. The 2nd key is knowing what to do with the "Right" tools.

Archived