Copyright guitar & vocals?

Test4Echo

• Members

I have a song finished as far as writing the guitar and vocals, lyrics etc... All that's left is to finalize the drums bass and mix. Any reason why I can't send in just a cd of the guitar chords and vocals with lyrics? Does that diminish the copyright in any way not having the finished feel of the tempo with drums etc...

• Members

As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't be so worried about it. If your worried about someone stealing your stuff before you finish it, then I recommend that you record it, date it, seal it in an envelope and mail it to yourself and never open it.

The likelihood of someone stealing your stuff (unless you are godlike) is really slim. You do not need to send everything you do to the Library of Congress/US Copyright Office just as soon as you write it.

For instance, look at me, I write music all the time. When I finish the songs I upload them to my website for those that are interested in my upcoming projects. On my last album, I did not register my stuff until AFTER its release. If you have the MEANS to prove you wrote it/recorded it/conceived it, it is YOUR intellectual property, not anyone else's.

• Members

The way I see it is if somebody steals something from me; this means that I am one bad mofo. I also believe in Karma and if I was able to make a song that "good" I will be able to make another one.

that's noble, but .........:freak: are you serious? lol. have you ever been through a legal situation? :eek: nightmare!

PS - i copyright everything with an acoustic guitar as a PA. NOT as a SR. that way, it's covered, but not that recording. (so, if someone were to sample it.....but who the {censored} would sample a {censored}ty acoustic guitar recording?)

• Members

The legal definition of a song is the lyrics and melody. I usually include the chord progression as well. Once you copyright these, the song is copyrighted. Everything else (drums, bass, backing vocals, etc.) is a specific arrangement of the song.

There are a few exceptions, such as the drum part in "Wipe Out". Unless your song requires a specific part to be recognized, lyrics and melody will suffice.

Archived