2 Songs

The Real Ant

• Members

So I started writing again just over a year ago after about a 7 year break. I was playing off and on with friends during that time but not putting anything down as far real tunes.

I put a modest home studio together last year and have written about 10 songs or so. I've finally got a couple that a feel are worthy of being heard outside the house and I'd love to get some feedback. This is my first foray into writing entire tunes on my own. In the past I've always written with bandmates.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=803672

• Members

Happily, I had a more felicitous reaction to "The Reason."

Not to say that it doesn't need foreground -- it does, for sure.

And it really sounds like it 'wants' a vocal... but, you know, some tasty instrumental parts might work in lieu... still, five minute rock instrumentals have some real challenges in front of them. Just filling five minutes with lead guitar is probably not going to do it.

FWIW, in the sections where I was paying real attention to the drums and instrument interaction, I really didn't hear any big problems. I'm wondering if the beat itself just didn't sit well with Macresto. I like the beat... it has a nice 70s, almost Bonham kind of feel. (It does sound like things get overloaded, though -- the crash cymbals sound particularly squashed and distorted in sections.) I even went back and dropped the needle a few times in different sections looking for big problems with the beat/guitar interaction. It might not be the tightest thing I ever heard but it certainly didn't strike me as terribly problematic.

I think you've done quite well for only a few recording projects under your belt!

Keep at it!

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. :wave:

Those cymbals def need a fix in 'The Reason' and I get what you guys are saying about needing something 'on top' of that tune.

I don't sing and I hate the lyrics I write which is why my songs end up as instrumentals. Maybe I need to get over myself and just try and sing something but I don't know about that. :p

• Members

That Rabbit (Is My Friend) has a nice funky groove that doesn't go anywhere. Didn't like the lead guitar - neither the clean nor the fuzz sounds did anything for me, and the playing seemed pretty haphazard.

When you say 'haphazard' did you mean the lead/melody lines or overall?

Thanks for responding by the way.

Archived