Help please with my songwriting course

WriteSongs

• Members

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and want to promote my songwriting course Write Your Songs without breaking any forum etiquette.

The course is fairly basic for people who know a few chords on guitar or keyboard and doesn't cost much. It can be downloaded via my website.

Am I allowed to promote it anywhere on this forum? If not can anybody give me any tips about where I could try? I know about Google AdWords and optimising your website, but I can't afford to do that.

• Moderators

I would guess the best way to promote it would be to become a contributing member of the forum. Don't sell your course, don't mention your course, but include a link in your sig line.

Based on your interaction and contributions here and elsewhere... that should drum up interest. Or not depending.

This is what gear venders do. They contribute to a forum religiously and only have a link. But never a mention.

• Members

I would guess the best way to promote it would be to become a contributing member of the forum. Don't sell your course, don't mention your course, but include a link in your sig line.

Based on your interaction and contributions here and elsewhere... that should drum up interest. Or not depending.

This is what gear venders do. They contribute to a forum religiously and only have a link. But never a mention.

mr admin,

you should delete this post i'm making and lock 'er up with lee's comments. i've never seen it so concisely stated. it's the perfect answer . . . . so perfect, in fact, that it could be applied as a rule of the forum for people who want to advertise. let's face it: we ALL self-advertise in here a little bit and it's okay, but success in that comes from membership and participation.

*and a special congrats to be made for Writesongs in his willingness to intermingle tact with spam* :)

• Members

Welcome, WriteSongs!

I'm the mod here in the SW forum and I want to thank you -- and Lee -- for making my job so much easier!

Lee's answer is smack on...

You'll be welcomed as a participating member as you contribute -- and if your insights are good, it can only help draw interested folks to your course.

Go to the user control panel (User CP in the bar menu near the top of the page) and just put the appropriate link(s) to your website in your signature line (you don't need any fancy code, as a rule -- just slap some www's in front of your dot com and the board should turn it into a link.)

I don't think you have to be super-circumspect about letting it be known that you have a songwriting course... I imagine something like the occasional, "In the songwriting course I teach, I often... " would not raise too many hackles -- particularly if you follow it up with some good advice.

I would definitely avoid what might appear to the cynical and over-wary (which I presume is about 80% of web surfers -- or should be :D ) to be direct sales pitches, blatant self-promo, or self-aggrandizement -- a subtle approach will undoubtedly work better with the crowd around here.

I'd say active, generous participation coupled with good insight and advice would probably benefit both your own endeavors as well as the forum!

Again, welcome! :)

Archived