Going Wireless

• Members

Ive tried a few wireless systems before and I remember them Sucking my tone a great deal. That was about 10 years ago so Im hopeing technology has advanced. Anybody have recomendations? I was looking at the Sennheiser ew172G2 Evolution G2 100 Series. I dont wanna rush int this till I get some feed back. Thanks:wave:

• Members

If you can front the dough, the original X-Wire wireless unit is, from all the reading I've done, king of the hill. But, when they do come up, I think they run like, $600ish? Failing that, the X2 stuff is about as good as it gets.

• Members
If you can front the dough, the original X-Wire wireless unit is, from all the reading I've done, king of the hill. But, when they do come up, I think they run like, $600ish? Failing that, the X2 stuff is about as good as it gets.

Ill be shure to check that one out aswell. I really didnt want to spend more than 500$ but if its worth it ill pay.

• Members
Ive had problems with line6 amps in the past and was trying to steer clear of there products, but if you guys all agree on its capability ill try it out. Tanks

I've only good things about the X2 stuff. It's the second gen of the original X-Wire hardware/software. I haven't personally tried it, but everyone I've heard that has has been totally satisfied (including some hard-to-please mother{censored}ers). X-Wire made about the best wireless unit going, then went under/were bought by Senn (I think it was Senn), who used some of the tech from X-Wire, but it was agreed upon as being inferior to the originals. Now, Line 6 got the rights to the {censored}, and seem to have done it right, their other products notwithstanding.

...of course, that's the sum total of what I know on the subject. I also hear the Shure UHF models are pretty decent, too.

• Members

Another vote for the X2. I've been using it since it was released.

Plusses:

No detectable tone suck at all: near zero. Sounded as good as a 6" Bill Lawrence cable. Very good range: I got to about 125' in a warehouse with no dropout. Extremely easy to use...about as close to "Plug and Play" as a wireless will get. Absolutely zero RF interference.

Minuses:

The transmitter is plastic, with a fairly flimsy wire clip. Hasn't broken on me yet, but the wire clip has come away from the chassis, and I could definitely see it breaking off in the future. Handle with some care.

Overall: A worthwhile purchase at the price.

• Members

Ive had problems with line6 amps in the past and was trying to steer clear of there products, but if you guys all agree on its capability ill try it out. Tanks

the X2 is a new aquisition by Line 6. It was originally made by aseperate company, but in the past year was bought up by the increasingly big Line 6 company. They have added a few new products to the line, but if it's based on the old tech it should be sufficiently reliable.

• Members
the X2 is a new aquisition by Line 6. It was originally made by aseperate company, but in the past year was bought up by the increasingly big Line 6 company. They have added a few new products to the line, but if it's based on the old tech it should be sufficiently reliable.

Thanks for the info , I had a really bad experiance with a flextone 2. Line6 replaced 3 of them , when the 3rd one broke the same way the first 2 did it had been over a year so I was screwed

• Members

I have both the rack unit and the pedalboard version of the X2, and it's the only wireless that doesn't piss me off. I would agree, tho, that the flimsy clip sucks balls. I'm hoping they will actually come out with an upgraded Pro version with sturdier enclosures and beltpacks.

Sounds freakin great tho. I have a pretty revealing rig ( Carvins with medium output Duncans, VHT UL), and it sounds great, and more importantly, feels great. All the dynamics are there, which I am screamingly picky about.

• Members
Another vote for the X2. I've been using it since it was released.

Plusses:

No detectable tone suck at all: near zero. Sounded as good as a 6" Bill Lawrence cable. Very good range: I got to about 125' in a warehouse with no dropout. Extremely easy to use...about as close to "Plug and Play" as a wireless will get. Absolutely zero RF interference.

Minuses:

The transmitter is plastic, with a fairly flimsy wire clip. Hasn't broken on me yet, but the wire clip has come away from the chassis, and I could definitely see it breaking off in the future. Handle with some care.

Overall: A worthwhile purchase at the price.

yes, the clip that come with the transmitter really sucks.

• Members
Without a buffer in the chain? Yes.

However, you will notice a millisecond or two of latency with the X2 as you get that far away from your amp.

I've heard a lot of good things about the X2 as well - I need to check one out. I would agree that with a 30 ft. cable, you'll get some capacitive loss of the high end. However, there are some cables out there (Eric Johnson uses a long one, for instance) that minimize the loss with low capacitance.

Regarding the latency, any digital product will have some. I believe that with the X2, it is about 4mS. That's not very much, and you are unlikely to hear it. It's like standing 4 ft. further from your amp (sound travels about 1 ft. per millisecond). But some players can hear it, or feel it at 4mS, or they think they can.

However, it's not that you notice it when you get further from your amp - because radio waves travel at the speed of light. When you get further from your amp, it takes more time for the sound to travel from your amp back to you. For a 30 ft cable, if you got that far way, the sound would be 30mS late in getting to you from your amp, but with the X2 system, it would be only four more, or a total of 34mS. See what I mean? But sometimes the freedom of wireless is startling (especially with a really good system) and leads some to believe that this "latency" is due to the wireless system. It's just your distance from the amp and how long it takes sound to travel that far.

-K

• Members

X2. There really isn't anything else out there that can touch it for sound quality and price. I love mine, especially the feel; it's hard to explain but it still feels like having a cable between guitar->amp. The dynamics are all there, no compression added like most other wireless devices.
As previously mentioned, the transmitter is somewhat fragile, but it fits perfectly in the medium sized wireless padded wireless pouch on Musicians Friend.

• Members

I've been abusing an Senny EW172 for years now. Never given any trouble and a great range on it.

I would heartily dissuade anyone from the "bug" lines of wireless. I went through the samson guitar bug and the Shure body pack thing. Both were cheapies and boy did they show it. The deadish tone was one thing but the lack of range and interferance once you got more than a coupla meters away was a deal break. Sold both very quickly, despite screwing around with them loads. They're OK for small pub gigs, but once you get a proper venue with stage lighting, etc, forget it. No chance!

I've not tried any of Sennheiser's later offerings, however given my EW172s performance, I wouldn't have trouble bagging another one if mine ever died a death. Its still going 7 years on! Never been in a "case" - always stored in my toolbox. Its been dropped a bunch of times, had drinks put on it, the transmitted has dropped more times than I can count. Only thing its had is the belt clip is a bit crap. You either need a pocket or get the tape out and strap it to your guitar strap.

• Members
I've only good things about the X2 stuff. It's the second gen of the original X-Wire hardware/software. I haven't personally tried it, but everyone I've heard that has has been totally satisfied (including some hard-to-please mother{censored}ers). X-Wire made about the best wireless unit going, then went under/were bought by Senn (I think it was Senn), who used some of the tech from X-Wire, but it was agreed upon as being inferior to the originals. Now, Line 6 got the rights to the {censored}, and seem to have done it right, their other products notwithstanding.

...of course, that's the sum total of what I know on the subject. I also hear the Shure UHF models are pretty decent, too.

I owned one of the original X-Wire systems and now own the new X2 Rack wireless. It's every bit as good as the original X-Wire IMO, so trying to hunt down the original X-Wire to me, would be a big waste of time and money, especially since the original X-Wire is 3 rack spaces (it's been a few years since I had the X-Wire) I think compared to the 1 space the X2 occupies. The X2 is a win-win. With the STOCK cable on the X2 transmitter I can find no tone loss as compared to my Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables and have no latency or drop out issues at all.

That being said, I do hope they at some time come out with a more sturdy, metal housing based transmitter with a stronger clip and higher quality cable, just for my own peace of mind. But other than that, no complaints at all. Definitely worth the cash I dropped on it.

-Ans-