Reverb not working. Help please?

JVanDe7

• Members

So I recently bought a used reissue Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12 combo and it turns out the reverb doesn't work. Let me elaborate a little-

When you turn the reverb up and bang on the reverb tank, you can hear the reverb working. It sounds like a normal reverb tank being kicked. Sounds good. But it doesn't alter the sound of my guitar at all. No matter where the reverb knob is, while I play guitar, it sounds like no reverb at all.

It probably isn't the reverb cables, since when I hit the tank it does make noise (so signal is getting through). Could the tank be broken in a way that allows it to make noise when tapped on but not work with the guitar/amp like normal?

I just put all new tubes in it, so I'm fairly sure it isn't the tubes. Also, the amp has a footswitch that allows you to 1- change channels and 2- toggle reverb on/off. The footswitch is missing but I ordered a replacement and it gets here tomorrow. Is it possible I just need to use the footswitch to get it working again? I know for a fact that these amps can have reverb without the footswitch, but maybe something got toggled off and needs the footswitch plugged in the fix it?

• Members

I looked in the tank and the springs seem fine. Don't look broken but who knows. Maybe some internal component that I don't see is loose or broken or whatever? It seems like reverb tanks are somewhat commonly replaced. I hope that's my problem. I don't want it to be anything that I have to take it into the shop for. $$$$

• Members

If it makes a racket when you bang it that just means that the connection from the output of the tank to the reverb return is probably fine.

The connection to the input could still be hosed. Try the easiest stuff first. Unplug the RCA connections (does ampeg use rca connectors? IDK.) and reconnect them. Clean them up if they look crusty/oxidized. If you are lucky that is all it needs.

If you are unlucky it could be several other things from bad reverb tubes, to a broken connection on the tank's input, to??

Just see if messing with the connections helps first.

EDIT: i type slowly. +1 to what beuoy said.

-chris

• Members

Alright. Well, damn. Wish I wouldn't have ordered a reverb tank so quickly. It sounds like the tank is very likely NOT the problem.

The most likely situation is that the cable from the preamp to the reverb tank is bad. The amp is not at my house, it's at my practice space so I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

• 12 years later...

Archived