Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time ...tone question!

Unstrung

• Members

Hey. I love this album. I'm particularly interested in getting the same sort of hint of swirly chorus or whatever it is on my rhythm guitars in a project I'm doing.

If you havn't heard it you can listen here: [YOUTUBE]SwB9zg7Tbx8[/YOUTUBE]

I've tried a delay in my loop set to a very fast slap back to double the signal... that sounded pretty cool but not there. I also tried a chorus and it got close but no cigar. Maybe because my chorus is this awful sounding piece of shit: GuitarAccessoriesPedalIbanezCF7.jpg

How would you go about getting this tone?

• Members

At this point in time you could probably buy a 250 ML for the price of a boutique chorus. Not bad amps but that sound on that CD is about all they will do. Rush also used GK stuff quite a bit.

I wonder if the speaker in any of them still work.

Talk about wierd combo amp. Could put out {censored}loads of volume with those tiny speakers. Used to work for a GK dealer and we were constantly replacing them.

Wierd amps. Popular as hell for about 1 1/2-2 years then disappeared off the face of the earth. I will always think of them as an amplified Rockman.

• Members

Hmm?

I dont hear chorus at all....?

I owned the Maiden tones back in the day with a JMP-1 and a 9200.
:thu:

Well first of all, Somewhere In Time is not your typical Maiden album in terms of guitar tone. I heard then and I believe now that they used GK's on that album. I used to be around those amps constantly and Somewhere In Time positively REEKS of that tone. Whether or not it's pleasing to anyone else's ear is a matter of taste. If that album isn't a GK, I don't know what is.

As far as chorus being on or not, I'll have to listen to the album later but I swear that there is chorus on the guitars going off of memory. After Somewhere in Time they kind of went back to more normal rigs (though I've wondered if there isn't smatterings of it on Seventh Son).

In a nutshell, Somewhere In Time is definitely not your typical Maiden album in terms of guitar tone. Play a tune off Piece of Mind or Powerslave, then immediately put on SIT. The difference is almost jarring.

• Members

Well first of all, Somewhere In Time is not your typical Maiden album in terms of guitar tone. I heard then and I believe now that they used GK's on that album. I used to be around those amps constantly and Somewhere In Time positively REEKS of that tone. Whether or not it's pleasing to anyone else's ear is a matter of taste. If that album isn't a GK, I don't know what is.

As far as chorus being on or not, I'll have to listen to the album later but I swear that there is chorus on the guitars going off of memory. After Somewhere in Time they kind of went back to more normal rigs (though I've wondered if there isn't smatterings of it on Seventh Son).

In a nutshell, Somewhere In Time is definitely not your typical Maiden album in terms of guitar tone. Play a tune off Piece of Mind or Powerslave, then immediately put on SIT. The difference is almost jarring.

I agree, Somewhere In Time sounds different, it fits. But I dont like it.

I think the best Maiden tone EVER is Dave's guitar in Maiden England. The live one with killers.. WOW! I never heard a guitar sound that good since. It screams....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDaGjFhiA7Y

• Members

I think the best Maiden tone EVER is Dave's guitar in Maiden England. The live one with killers.. WOW! I never heard a guitar sound that good since. It screams....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDaGjFhiA7Y

That actually sounds very similar to Somewhere in Time to me.

I wasn't familiar with this live vid but I just looked it up and it was made two years after Somewhere in Time. I wouldn't be surprised if these are the Gallien Kreugers again...

Wrathchild, I think your least and most favourite Maiden tones are the same. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm not sure I 100% like it either, but the theme of the album is futuristic and there is not doubt that, at the time, the GK was definitely a futuristic type of amplifier. In a wierd way, it kind of fits the theme of the album. The same could be said for the (then somewhat controversial with Maiden fans) usage of the guitar synthesizer on the album.

• Members

I'm not sure I 100% like it either, but the theme of the album is futuristic and there is not doubt that, at the time, the GK was definitely a futuristic type of amplifier. In a wierd way, it kind of fits the theme of the album. The same could be said for the (then somewhat controversial with Maiden fans) usage of the guitar synthesizer on the album.

Could you explain what the hell is those "guitar synthesizer" are? I've heard this for years but could'nt figure it out?

Thx

ps : i'm probably one of the biggest fan of maiden around. It was the first tape (at the time) that I bought in my life. I was seven years old, at k-mart, saw "seventh son of a seventh son" (just came out) and my life was changed forever.

• Members

Could you explain what the hell is those "guitar synthesizer" are? I've heard this for years but could'nt figure it out?

It's a synthesizer that uses a guitar rather than a keyboard as a controller. Some are simple tone generators that use the input signal from a guitar to generate a monophonic synth sound, others are more complex and use a special pickup and are a proper synth and not just an effect pedal.

• Members

I'ma admit something here. That my fellow Maiden fans would skin me for.

The only Maiden album where I actually like the guitar tone, is Number of the Beast. Dunno why. Whoever the recording engineer was, he made sure the guitars didn't sound buzzy or nasal-y. Yeah, the songs on Powerslave and Somewhere In Time were freakin awesome, but the tone always bugged me.

• Members

"Come Somewhere In time, both Adrian and Dave swithed to Gallien Krueger 250RL solid state amplifiers. Adrian was using Jackson guitars in this era, one of which has the guts of a Roland G-707 synth controller in it, although he used a standard Roland G-707 synth controller guitar in the studio. Effects wise, Boss CE-3 chorus, Boss DD-2 delays, Fuman parametric EQ units and Lexicon reverbs.

Then for the synth sounds, this was a Roland GR-700 guitar synthesiser which basically has the same guts as a Roland JX-3P synthesiser"

Not my quote, but I beleive accurate.

Archived