New way of making music?

DjLamer

• Members

Not sure what impressed you so much about this.

With music driven increasingly by rigid formulae and produced by rearranging pregurgitated bits of preproduced music, it's not hard to come up with something that can generate a typical techno/house mix.

The vid says the tune was created in five minutes -- but as many an "ACID DJ" has found out -- with that tool the producer (hard to call him an artist in this particular context, perhaps) can typically create music faster than the audience can listen... In ACID, you can turn it on and then "paint" loops into tracks wherever you want -- if they're ahead of the now cursor the audience will hear them as the work progresses. (You could presumably also use something like Apple's Garage Band, which was originally copied almost control for control from ACID [supposedly by some of the same people involved with creating ACID for Sonic Foundry, later bought by Sony.])

With regard to aids for more conventional composition, there are already a number out there, from the little-app-that-could, Band-in-a-Box, to elaborate and expensive rule-based compositional tools. (For that matter, BiaB added some rather complex rule based composition tools -- but they're more oriented to tin pan alley/standards type songwriting than orchestral comp -- or contemporary pop. FTM, who needs rule based composition for contemporary pop? A dumb robot can do it. :D )

Now, if this thing do some house and then could turn around and create a minuet or string quartet and then some other very different style -- that, it seems to me, would be something.

• Members

These type of programs have been around for awhile. I suppose if you don't know how to write music then they would be fun. Other than that these programs are worthless. I am personally against all forms of loops, drum machines, or any other "music in a can" type stuff. I would rather be the one who creates the loops rather than the one who uses them!

• Members

I don't have any problems with loops and algorithmic composition -- except that they're usually not as much fun and often not nearly as satisfying as doing it the "old fashioned way."

But if people can make music that's involving and interesting with them, I think that's validity enough.

That said, I find precious little that's come out of the house/electronica loop production paradigm in the last decade that's all that interesting, involving, or just plain fresh.

Let's face it -- the appeal -- to a lot of us, anyhow -- of electronic music was that it was supposed to be new and interesting and point us toward the future.

But when I turn on the local (highly influential) eclectic college station's electronica show 95% of what I hear is the same old cut and past, boring loop-oriented construction I've been hearing on that station for a decade...

But the problem is not really the way the music is made -- it's producers who aspire to little more than coming up with something that sounds like everybody else.

Just like what passes for rock these days...

• Members

I should reiterate myself. . .I have no problem with OTHER PEOPLE using loops or drum machines, as blue2blue said, if it sounds good, it can pass. I just refuse to use them myself. ditaincrociate.gif

But when I turn on the local (highly influential) eclectic college station's electronica show 95% of what I hear is the same old cut and past, boring loop-oriented construction I've been hearing on that station for a decade...

How can it be eclectic if it the same ol' same ol', right? nonso.gif

• Members

Out here, these days, eclectic is a description of the station's formula -- not an accurate, native language description of its actual playlists. :D

(That said, if you stay away from their music director's morning weekday show and the electronica show in the early evenings and gravitate toward the shows by the non-fulltimers, you can still hear some pretty cool stuff, particularly from the late night and weekend DJs.)

The eclectic tag came from the flagship show their music director in the 80s started, Morning Becomes Eclectic -- back when their music programming was broken up into a number of specialty shows (a reggae show, a folk show, after a while an African music show). That DJ went on to work in the record and movie music industries but still holds down a show on Sundays -- but once he was just coming in on weekends he started playing the same tracks over and over, almost obsessively, with a heavy accent on super-slick commercial pop from Brazil, and his personal old favorites from around the world. (I used to love the guy's show when he was full time -- but it's pretty embarrassing in recent years.)

• Members

Ya gotta be referring to KCRW.....

I'd agree much of the ambient and electronic and particularly trance/dance sounds too much alike. I've been exploring ambient for the last few weeks though and there are a few interesting things out there. I think there is something to be said for the ambient area, I mean the intent is to be in the background and not particularly stand out. :)

KAC

• Members

I've gotta work on my obfuscation skills. :D Oh, well... I was never gonna work in this town, again, anyhow.

Yeah... I listen to music a lot and it often ends up as background music to some other activity. Which is not to say I don't give it attention on some level from time to time. Particularly when I'm listening to someone else's jazz picks I'll sort of listen on autopilot until something really catches my ear and demands a little more attention. But I've also listened to downtempo, dub, and classical, particularly string quartets, for background music -- and, lately, I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass in an offhand sort of way (mind you, a lot of it is already quite familiar to me, I've been listening to bluegrass since I was a kid).

Anyhow, it's all good, as they say. ;)

• Members

What I have impressed about the tool is that it's a small web application which I've never seen before. Yes, I agree that it's more close to the game rather than serious music composing tool.

BTW It seems it recommends you right samples automatically. can't explain properly but it seems to have some cool algorithm.

• Members

I was listening to NPR on the way home today and heard an interesting story about how the Playstation Portable is the music production toolkit of the future.

Can Video Games Save the Music Star?

I can see how if you combine a hand held controller, one of those Zoom field recorders and WIFI capability you could do something pretty cool

• Members

What I have impressed about the tool is that it's a small web application which I've never seen before. Yes, I agree that it's more close to the game rather than serious music composing tool.

BTW It seems it recommends you right samples automatically. can't explain properly but it seems to have some cool algorithm.

Ah!

I did not realize it was a web app... that's pretty interesting to me (as a web guy) if only from a technical standpoint and for where it points to in the future.

Sorry if I sounded over-skeptical above... I've just been kind of going through a little thing over electronic music/production, lately. Ten years ago -- even 6 or 7 years ago -- I was heavily into electronica/downtempo/trip hop and I really identified with the scene, musically. But then it seemed like everything just sort of... ossified... got boring...

It's like folks found The Formula and stopped moving forward. So... typically for me, I guess... I went backward... and now that I have a banjo and a mandolin... :D

• Members

I was listening to NPR on the way home today and heard an interesting story about how the Playstation Portable is the music production toolkit of the future.

Can Video Games Save the Music Star?

I can see how if you combine a hand held controller, one of those Zoom field recorders and WIFI capability you could do something pretty cool

I must admit I think it sounds really cool. Not as a substitute for the system I use now, but for fun. I think it would be great to try them out.

Anyone with wife acceptance factor experience for these particular games/units in here?!? :)

• Members

Ah!

I did not realize it was a web app... that's pretty interesting to me (as a web guy) if only from a technical standpoint and for where it points to in the future.

Sorry if I sounded over-skeptical above... I've just been kind of going through a little
thing
over electronic music/production, lately. Ten years ago -- even 6 or 7 years ago -- I was heavily into electronica/downtempo/trip hop and I
really
identified with the scene, musically. But then it seemed like everything just sort of... ossified... got boring...

It's like folks found The Formula and stopped moving forward. So... typically for me, I guess... I went
backward...
and now that I have a banjo and a mandolin...
:D

Hi blue2blue, no you weren't that skeptical. I should have mentioned that it's a web app like music game. :)

Are u doing some web stuff? Wow. what do u do?

• Members

Hi blue2blue, no you weren't that skeptical. I should have mentioned that it's a web app like music game.
:)
Are u doing some web stuff? Wow. what do u do?

Your basic web design and database work, classic ASP, ASP.NET, a little Flash. Getting into PHP, as well, since it's really taken off as a non-proprietary development tool for server side scripting. Nothing all that cool. ;)

• Members

web-based music applications would be cool. What'd be cooler is if it could be used as a sequencer and you could link up across the net with other people, jam or perform a song and then listen to it and maybe save it or something. And then make it open-source, to promote collaberation and contribution to other people's music, etc.

like that's gonna happen :lol:

but on topic now. At its core music is a way to communicate emotion. Machines don't feel emotion, so it defeats the point of music in my eyes.

Archived