Multiple instruments

sabriel9v

• Members

Has anyone ever needed a myriad of instruments in order to completely carry out their full songwriting vision...but not had the resources? For instance, where's a french horn or tuba player when you need them? Or a full strings section.

• Members

A lot of times it's all about EQ and how it fits into the overall sonic tapestry. It doesn't have to necessarily be an out there and naked instrument necessarily. A lot of real instruments don't sound like the real thing in the context of a processed mix, but they work because they fill the hole they need to fill.

• Members

Most synth/sampler libraries have usable versions of strings, french horn and tuba. Saxophones, on the other hand
:cry:

My East West Colossus has an AMAZING saxophone! I doubt if I'll ever use it, though! I have only written one song with a sax and it will probably be my last one (click on "The Rising and Setting of the Sun). That sax was from my Motif ES rack (it's not that bad). The one on the Colossus is several times better and has more natural articulations.

• Members

Part of it is that I conceive of sax parts in terms of extremely expressive players like Coltrane, Rollins, Shorter, Parker etc. Horn parts I can conceive of in more generally functional terms (a stab here, a three note phrase there) so I can be pretty happy with a horn part played on a keyboard and voiced on a sampler while a sax in the same keyboard/sampler setup just doesn't cut it for me at all.

BTW - I use Reason with Miroslav Brass for my brass samples.

• Members

My East West Colossus has an AMAZING saxophone! I doubt if I'll ever use it, though! I have only written one song with a sax and it will probably be my last one (click on "
). That sax was from my Motif ES rack (it's not that bad). The one on the Colossus is several times better and has more natural articulations.

I think one of the most important things when doing horn parts on keys is to phrase like a horn player phrases.... I didnt think that sounded that much like a sax ,, nice work ,,but it sounded like a keyboard player not a sax man. Ya gotta remember the sax is a wind instrument ,,,,I am not trying to slag your stuff because its good ,, but I think it could be more realistic with your head in sax mode. I like the sax on my roland stage piano, but its best when i get my brain into it

• Members

I think one of the most important things when doing horn parts on keys is to phrase like a horn player phrases.... I didnt think that sounded that much like a sax ,, nice work ,,but it sounded like a keyboard player not a sax man. Ya gotta remember the sax is a wind instrument ,,,,I am not trying to slag your stuff because its good ,, but I think it could be more realistic with your head in sax mode. I like the sax on my roland stage piano, but its best when i get my brain into it

My wife says it sounds like a duck..whatever that means!

The fact is nothing will ever replace the real. However, however, there are good sounding samples and cheap sounding samples, so much to the point that only a critical and discerning ear can tell the difference (it sounded like a keyboard player not a sax man).

• Members

My wife says it sounds like a duck..whatever that means!

The fact is nothing will ever replace the real. However, however, there
are
good sounding samples and cheap sounding samples, so much to the point that only a critical and discerning ear can tell the difference (
it sounded like a keyboard player not a sax man
).

Usually oboes sound more like ducks. :poke:

KAC

• Members

I play live sax, but I'm bad enough that it doesn't sound much better than a sample. To the OP, if a song can't stand up without a sousaphone, it's probably not worth recording in the first place.

Try writing a march without a tuba (or a Sousaphone).

My only even vaguely convincing fake sax is here.

Since it's a true solo... it's pretty exposed.

• Members

Vaguely convincing. I agree with rat that the DeveryHarper part was a good sounding synth patch but not at all convincing as a sax.

BTW, I tried to check out the companion piece, "Blue Money" (because I love the Van Morrison song of that name) but it seems to have been dropped from the soundclick list.

• Members

Yeah, I would concur b2b sax is about as good as you get with a fake/synth sax. I wanted to hear Blue Money as well.

While the Devery Harper sax is definitely synth, I'm listening to his entire album right now and loving it! Well done Devery!

KAC

• Members

Vaguely convincing. I agree with rat that the DeveryHarper part was a good sounding synth patch but not at all convincing as a sax.

BTW, I tried to check out the companion piece, "Blue Money" (because I love the Van Morrison song of that name) but it seems to have been dropped from the soundclick list.

Yeah... not the same tune. I'd forgotten that particular song but I figured there were plenty of "Blue Money"'s around...

Really just a long blues rock instrumental. Not my strongest suit... I just... I dunno. Anyhow, it should be there somewhere, probably on a subsequent page. But you didn't miss all that much. Still, the one short tune does work pretty well (or as well as it ever will) in front of it.

I've often been on the verge of taking "4:17 a.m." down but there's something I kinda like there... reminds me of walking around the outskirts of the French Quarter in New Orleans one time early in the morning and hearing a lonely sax wailing in a deserted alley. He was playing "'Round Midnight" and he was playing "real good for free" (as Joni said)... Later, the next afternoon late me and a pal were walking through the same area and heard the same guy... playing the same thing. Late that night we heard him again. Still playing "'Round Midnight." It sort of took just a wee bit of the romance out. But it still sounded pretty good. For free.

;)

• Members

You suggested in another thread that whenever one thinks about using an audio clip sample one should consider replacing it with a sax solo. As I was reading that, I was thinking to myself - whenever I consider using a sax solo I always try to figure out if I can't replace it with an audio clip sample. :)

• Members

Nonetheless, soft-synths are a staple for me. I am not going to shy away from writing songs with natural instruments in them only because I cannot afford to pay the approximately 20k to have my stuff professionally recorded in a studio! The technology is good enough that 80% of the people wouldn't even know the difference. I know the difference, you know the difference. As long as it is pleasing to the ear I guess that's all that counts!

Archived