Budda Superdrive 18......Clean?

Jimmyohio75

• Members

How do the cleans sound on the Budda SD 18?

I recently sold an Orange Rocker 30 because the clean channel sucked. It was cold, flat, sterile, totally lifeless. The gain channel rocked however.

I have not yet played the BUdda but tell me how the clean channel sounds. Does it have any warmth? Full? Articulate?

• Members

I'll say up front my experience with this amp is limited but I passed on this amp because I felt like it didn't deliver the pristine cleans I was looking for at the time. Good cleans, but not really completely clean, IMO. Sounded good to me but it had a little hair on it.

• Members

good lord, yes. beautiful.. a lovely el84 amp! very marshally-- but with a more adaptable midrange control... try it!

When you say Marhsally do you mean the gain channel or the cleans? IMO Marshall ain't that great. I am looking for Vox and/or fender cleans

• Members

Jimmy, didn't know you were here as well as tgp. You will love the vox sound of the Budda cleans. Check out the youtube vids. I found the SS to be harsh compared to it and the Black Pearl, but the BP is single channel.

Yep, I'm a full fledged gear addict. I lurk here, the TGP and the Fender Forum. My only concern about the Budda is the clean headroom. I hear that 18 BUDDA watts is like 50 watts in other brands. If this is true then it should have plenty of clean headroom. Of course my band does almost 90% dirty stuff so it won't matter much. I just like to know it's there if I need it....know what I mean?

• Members

i don't think the budda sounds very marshally in it's clean tones-- but it CAN-- there's a push pull pot on the mids-- i think it's called 'MODERN'.. which boosts the mids.

it's not really voxey-- but it's not entirely fender, nor marshall. i LIKE the cleans on the thing-- but they'll be a little hairy, kinda like a deluxe- with a WAY more substantial midrange than 6v6es i've heard.

18 watts is loud... but it's not a 50 watter for headroom. but if you like some harmonic perk and not a sterile clank... it's a great sound.. but you'd have to hear it to see if you like it. dirty though... nothing sounds as awesome to my ear as a really overdriven el84!

• Members

i don't think the budda sounds very marshally in it's clean tones-- but it CAN-- there's a push pull pot on the mids-- i think it's called 'MODERN'.. which boosts the mids.

it's not really voxey-- but it's not entirely fender, nor marshall. i LIKE the cleans on the thing-- but they'll be a little hairy, kinda like a deluxe- with a WAY more substantial midrange than 6v6es i've heard.

18 watts is loud... but it's not a 50 watter for headroom. but if you like some harmonic perk and not a sterile clank... it's a great sound.. but you'd have to hear it to see if you like it. dirty though... nothing sounds as awesome to my ear as a really overdriven el84!

U pretty much nailed it. Listen to this man.

• Members

U pretty much nailed it. Listen to this man.

When you say "deluxe" do you mean a Fender Deluxe reverb? I love those cleans. If this is what you mean I'm all over it. My current Fender Supersonic seems a bit thin and sterile, but not as bad as my previous Orange Rocker 30..those cleans flat out sucked!!

• Members

When you say "deluxe" do you mean a Fender Deluxe reverb? I love those cleans. If this is what you mean I'm all over it. My current Fender Supersonic seems a bit thin and sterile, but not as bad as my previous Orange Rocker 30..those cleans flat out sucked!!

kinda-- but 6v6es are very different critters than el84's.. it's like comparing a 6l6 to an el34.. they're both tubes, but very different sounding. they share a coupla similarities.. sure.. but the midrange signature is different to be sure.

i think yer gonna need to try one to see-- its NOT a deluxe- it's not as sparkly clanky. it's not an ac15 either.. but it's got a similar thing going on. buddas sound like buddas!

sterile they ain't!

• Members

I'd say decent cleans, it's not stellar or something to jump around in xtc, the OD is the worst point of the amp

god.. i disagree about the gain- but it's not high gain, to be sure! it's very much a classic rock/blues overdrive amp.. no high gain implied or exerted... although it can get a fair bit in my experience, but i don't drive my amps that hard.

Archived