Writing a Rock Opera

• Members

I think the most challenging part would be to do it with originality. How many bands have you heard that want to write an epic album, yet when it comes out it sounds like The Wall, Dark Side, whatever? They fail to realize that the grandiosity of said albums are their originality, the fact that they're ahead of their time.

Having said that, I think the second most challenging part would be not coming off as a total pretentious prick. :p

• Members

I think the most challenging part would be to do it with originality. How many bands have you heard that want to write an epic album, yet when it comes out it sounds like The Wall, Dark Side, whatever? They fail to realize that the grandiosity of said albums are their originality, the fact that they're ahead of their time.

Having said that, I think the second most challenging part would be not coming off as a total pretentious prick.
:p

I've always thought for rock operas, pretention was a plus. :idea::idea::idea:

• Members

I've always thought for rock operas, pretention was a plus.
:idea:

I guess that's why I'm not into rock operas. :)

I do like King Diamond though...but his rock operas are a gimmick inside a long-term gimmick which in my mind is totally excusable. :phil:

• Members

I actually have a collection of songs with various plot strains lightly wrapped around them and a (vaguely) consistent character I've been moving toward some sort of rock opera/musical theatre thing.

It's not that I had a burning desire... it's just that my obsessive nature created a basic group of works... when I recognized that I just allowed the next few songs so inclined to sort of fall into alignment with the previous and then set about to developing ancillary characters and, you know, a plot line. Something I don't usually worry to much about in my songs. But this will be different.

• Members

I love, have always loved concept albums which is actually a slightly different thing than a rock opera. Someone mentioned The Wall which is a Rock Opera, but Dark Side of the Moon was not conceived as either a concept or rock opera from my understanding. I think Tommy is the prototypical Rock Opera.

Anyway I love albums that are tied together by a theme which is what I'd consider a concept album and at this point I have numerous ideas in my notebook for concept albums in the ambient/new age/electronica area which I hope to pull off at some point.

I think writing a rock opera is a bit like writing a novel as opposed to a short story.

KAC

• Members

Personally I would find writing a rock opera easier. When you're writing a collection of unrelated songs, each song has to stand on its own even if there might be some unifying sound that you're going for in making an 'album'. With an opera you have story and structure dictating things. You have the license to write half-baked material if it serves the plot - just think of some of the clunkier material in Tommy or The Wall - songs that are only one verse and one chorus, songs that end awkwardly knowing that they segue to the next song. It's a vehicle for unchecked self-indulgence...

I've never done one myself. If I had a story worth giving this kind of treatment, I'd probably try it. Then I would animate the whole thing singlehandedly :thu:.

• Members

I think it is a natural progession. As composers from earlier time periods looked for greater fulfillment in writing larger scale works (operas, symphonies, oratorios, Mass, etc.), I would assume that some modern musicians would look to try and create a larger, maybe more involved piece of music.

I don't think that rock operas HAVE to be pretentious. My suggestion is that the STORY must be strong enough to stand on it's own. I think that is where the pretention comes from that is so stereotypical.

If your story is weak, yet is set to powerful, moving music...the whole thing just comes off weird IMO.

• Members

I don't know about a rock opera (I don't think it could work--definitely not for me ;)) but does anyone remember that bit on the "Fifth Element" where he went to see that lady perform on the ship? That was an incredible piece of music, classically written with a dash of modernism. I could get into something like that.

• Members

Actually, the Fifth Element piece was an actual classical piece, to which they added a rocked up part at the end. It was Gaetano Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor".

I didn't know that, thanks for the tid-bit. It was surely an awesome experience the first time I saw it! Anything in that vein would surely, surely work for me being an opera lover myself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My friend and I have just started writing a Hip Hop Opera of sorts. A concept album in hip hop style. It will be one long story/song divided by tracks. Tribal feeling through out. It'll probably come out pretty pretentious, but I don't care, I hate that word anyway.

• Members

My friend and I have just started writing a Hip Hop Opera of sorts. A concept album in hip hop style. It will be one long story/song divided by tracks. Tribal feeling through out. It'll probably come out pretty pretentious, but I don't care, I hate that word anyway.

Definitely keep us up to date. I would like to see (hear) that!

• Members

how about this for a story line:

In these days of global communications, 5 or 6 guys from an internet forum decide to collaborate making a Rock Opera. The songs are the adventures of various guys from the group as they deal with writing remotely online, dealing with family pressure to give up, competition from "Professionally paid" writers that try to derail their plight, and the deeply ingrained love affair with that mistress called music that drives their desire. The conclusion results in a live performance of the Opera at the local symphony stage with the backing of local businesses and interested music people, and applause filled acceptance from all in attendance.

- Art creating and then immitating life :)

• Members

Man, brings back memories of almost ALL The Alan Parson's Project albums: all concept based:

- Tales of Mystery and imagination

- I, Robot

- Pyramid

- Eve

- Turn of a friendly card

- Eye in the sky

good stuff!

• Members

how about this for a story line:

In these days of global communications, 5 or 6 guys from an internet forum decide to collaborate making a Rock Opera. The songs are the adventures of various guys from the group as they deal with writing remotely online, dealing with family pressure to give up, competition from "Professionally paid" writers that try to derail their plight, and the deeply ingrained love affair with that mistress called music that drives their desire. The conclusion results in a live performance of the Opera at the local symphony stage with the backing of local businesses and interested music people, and applause filled acceptance from all in attendance.

- Art creating and then immitating life
:)

It could work for sure, particularly if you have parts for a couple of the guitar and synth freaks in the other forums. Mix in a bit of politics and viola!

KAC

• Members

The most massive thing a songwriter can do, Ever done it? How'd that work out for you? Think about trying it? Voice your opinions and concerns!

I guess Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar, Hair or Evita are about all rock opera ever realized.

I saw the staging of this musicals, but never thought a second about it after the event. It's some sort of kitsch I guess...

Wasn't there a movie with some dead ugly bloke running around with suspender?

• Members

"Rock Opera"? I call it what it is - a "musical".

I have been working on a musical for ten years. I have the music and the story. I just need to read a few plays to figure out how to write the script to tie it all together.

Guilty pleasure. i know it may never be completed and will almost certainly never be performed. Hence my drive to work on it. :freak:

What's your opera about?

• Members

... and will almost certainly never be performed....

Your chances are getting better and better every day!

Musicals and pop operas are everywhere. Every godforsaken place has a musical production. Within a radius of 80 miles where I live, there are at least 10 musical theatre, open air, indoor, outdoor, stages built on the lakes:

Bregenz.jpg

ABBA turned down an offer of one billion US dollars to do a reunion tour consisting of 100 concerts, then 'Mamma Mia!' opened in London, and soon premi

• Members

I've thought about it and started one and then scrapped it and then kept thinking about it. I have a story I'd like to do but when I try to write the lyrics to it, they come out way too simple.

I've also tried to design a "concept album" that is a collection of short stories made into songs. I've got a couple songs already for that but it is still gonna be a while.

One of the songs from that "concept album" had started off as wanting to be a rock opera. I was working in a library and we had the patron that would come in and use the computers to get on the internet and he would wear gloves to type. He was just generally a weird person all around and always got the strangest combinations of books. One day he came to check out and he had a book on schizophrenia, a book on cloning, a book on armys, and a book on potential work conquerors (ie, Hitler, Napolean). My wild mind put all these together into a story where the guy was schizophrenic and he found a way to clone his separate personalities into different people. So he started cloning himself and once he saw how many of these clones he had he decided to clone himself an army and take over the world. I eventually added an ending where he went to take over the first town and everybody was laughing at him because he didn't really have an army, he had just gone crazy and was imagining it all. That eventually got turned into a song called "General Of One".

Archived