Everyone check out my bestfriend's...

karma279

• Members

Hi, karma279

I'm the mod here in the SW forum and usually I prune out promos and such -- because the purpose of the forum is strictly talking about the craft and practice of songwriting and songwriters getting and giving feedback on works in progress...

But you said the magic phrase, 4th deployment...

So I'm going to let this slip. And send a special thanks to your friend's extraordinary service to the nation and hope we can get him and his fellow soldiers back home safely just as soon as possible.

:)

• Members

Hi, karma279

I'm the mod here in the SW forum and usually I prune out promos and such -- because the purpose of the forum is strictly talking about the craf and practice songwriting and songwriters getting and giving feedback on works in progress...

But you said the magic phrase,
4th deployment

So I'm going to let this slip. And send a special thanks to your friend's extraordinary service to the nation and hope we can get him and his fellow soldiers back home safely just as soon as possible.

:)

+1000

hells yeah. i'll check it when i get home. ....and be sure to thank your friend for me, too. :thu: {censored}ing studs, those guys are.

• Members

Thanks blue...

This is a really great section of the forum. Thanks for listening so far guys. Keep it coming. I didn't know he had the "add" locked down. He may not know it either.... kinda hard to keep the tunes out there if you can't add! I'll see what's up with that.

• Members

I didn't get a chance before... "Last Day" is sneakily powerful. It has a lazy, kind of neo-folk feel, a real lazy afternoon sound -- but the lyrics are harrowing. Pretty powerful juxtaposition.

I like the jazzy feel he got on that song and some of the other acoustic songs. And the full band track, "How Does It Feel?" cooks pretty good --and his vocals are plenty soulful on it.

And, speaking of soulful, looks like someone dropped a dime or two on a studio treatment for his version of "Let's Get It On." I'd say tackling a song like that shows some real ambition and, amazingly, I'd say he's pretty up to the task. I'm not sure he makes it his own, exactly -- but he certainly doesn't embarrass himself, and that would be something 999 singers out of a 1000 undoubtedly would on this song. Yeah, kid can sing. ;)

Good stuff. He's got a good voice and a good feel and can get a real edge into his writing, too, when he goes for it. I'd say he's got a lot going for himself, for sure!

I was actually going to put in a MySpace friend request (heady praise from me) but it looks like he's got it pretty locked down (which is cool, I can understand that).

Anyhow, I hope you'll pass along my compliments and -- again -- my gratitude for his long service. I hope we can get him and his brother and sister soldiers home soon and safe. :)

• Members

First I would like to say thanks for actually giving me a listen. I like to think of music as a universal language that has the ability to soothe/stimulate the masses. In the lyrics to these songs, I attempt to combine the reality of life with the smoothness of soul and simplicity. More times than others, I throw in political inuendos to vent my frustrations while biding my time to transition back into the civilian world. For example, In "Your Last Day" a line states:.."I know some but I don't know much, about why people gotta make a fuss cuz I, think like this so let me kill you. . . ". The meaning in that line is that "war is for those who never open their doors to talk to other countries of why they both disagree" (another song to be released soon). Regardless of my radical views, I hope that a group will eventually find my lyrics and empathize with them.

Nick, thanks for the kudos and everyone else: My last name is Garza for those myspace blocked people. If anyone knows how I can change it, please let me know. I tried everything within my limited power. :thu:

• Members

Thanks, Manny. Just sent you a friend request from my band page (one blue nine).

"Your Last Day" really hit home for me... I could really feel it... that moment of uneasy peace in the middle of the eye of a hurricane of violence.

While I haven't walked even a few inches in your shoes, I definitely empathize with the emotions -- and the yearning for peace that seems to flow in and around the powerful juxtapositions of violence and moments of peace in "The Last Day" and is suggested elsewhere.

I hope you'll find a way to spend plenty of time with us here in the SW forum... I suspect you have a lot of insight to give.

And I'd really like to hear more of your work.

;)

• Members

i love "your last day". great vibe ....and +1000 on the lenny kravitz vibe. i thought the same thing on 'your last day' that b2b mentioned. it's powerful when i put it in context.

i'm a fan, man.

g

...added you as a friend there, too

• Members

Hey... there's that guy! Bout time you joined up on here. This place is a great way to wind down and kill some time. There are some talented folks around here...

I hang in Guitar Jam most of the time... kind of "off topic". I spend a little time in Electric Guitar and Acoustic Guitar as well. This forum (Songwriting) is cool too...

Just stay away from "Open Jam"!

• Members

Yeah, yeah. This whole war on terror thing is time consuming! I have some poems and some other stuff I would like to paste on here if that is kosher.

Bring it on! I'm sure Blue would be cool with it...

I mean; they will most likely end up lyrics anyway. Just make a thread titled "New poem/song lyrics; what do you think?"

Word

• Members

Poetry is very different that lyrics. I'm sure most of you have heard that and may be even know it and know why. Some other music sites I frequent have a specific poetry forum separate from the lyrics/songwriting forum(s).

KAC

Well 7 out of 10 times Mannys poetry ends up as lyrics. So if he posted some...

It'd be relative to the topic as "Songwriting".

Bring it soldier-boy!

• Members

15 (yes, 15) times out of 10 my poems are set to music. Otherwise known as song lyrics. I believe song lyrics are poetry in motion. In my mind, the only difference between poetry and song is that poetry is without music (in no way slamming straight up poetry). However, protocol is the overly sticky glue that binds societies; some call them norms. Therefore, I will come to a solution.

• Members

No. Lyrics are not poetry. Lyrics should stand on their own, but not completely, they need the music to be complete. Poems are intended to stand on their own and have a completely different set of requirements.

Now certainly there is a grey area where a draft could go either way and certain some bad poetry could be revised into lyrics, some lyrics could be made into poetry.

The goal though, the result is what defines it, if a set of verses is intended to stand alone and convey meaning, emotion, ideas then it's a poem (there are other possible requirements). If it's intended to be sung to a melody and accompanied by music then it's a lyric and the requirements are very different.

We can discuss further if you like, but bottom line is they are not the same.

KAC

• Members

I guess I have been wrong this whole time in singing my poetry. The great thing about music and the arts is there are no rules, however, there are those who would choose not to break with tradition. The formula is simple: if it sounds good. Like I said, I have been wrong in many of my songs since the goal was to express myself and, instead, I put music to them and a little more soul. I have put out a request on ebay for a "Rules of Poetry and Music" book, however, I can't find it. I guess I will have to write it (the book) with just a simple one liner: do what sounds right. It's like trying to explain to Jimmy Buffett what a vacation is. It's all good though!

"Common sense can build castles. Lack thereof can erode them."-Me

• Members

Yes, you have. If you are singing it, it's lyrics by definition. :)

Poetry and lyrics have a different function. It has little to do with rules, though they do apply to some extent in the creation of the verses.

As I said there is certainly a grey area some verse could go either way, but the result defines it. Most lyrics don't work well as poetry and most poetry does not work well as lyrics.

Not that it has any relevance but I've been writing poetry for over 10 years now as well as a lyric on occasion and to me they are almost completely different. This is the same message I read in virtually every song/lyric writing text I've studied. Certainly you are welcome to a different opinion. My bottom line is that if 15 out of 10 of your verses turn into lyrics then they aren't poetry.

KAC

• Members

I agree with you bro. They are poetry; I see it and read it in poetry form. It all begins as poetry and you turn it into lyrics. If some post some here for "critique"; just be sure to put "lyrics" in the title to keep it on topic :D

Archived