Writing Qs...

Fenderman1991

• Members

Hey guys, I have few questions. Thinking about it now, I can only remember one, but I'll ask the others as I remember them...

I want to write a surfish song, like Dick Dale, the Ventures, and the Beach Boys.

It really hit me when I listened to these songs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3sJUf4NMI5w

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2826779

Rainy Day Girl and Hostile Planet I really like

It seems it's a lot about the drums too, which I don't have as of now, but any tips?

• Members

i hear harmonic minor in that {censored} like crazy, but i admittedly don't have a lot of surf records and i don't know it that much.

one thing's certain, though: y'all need a mosrite! lol. *dre -e -e -e -eam...dream, dream, dre - eam* lol. at least, one of my dreams. :)

g

• Members

I have a Mosrite!!

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

I can't find my good pic of the body...;)

Ok, it's my Dad's, but I love it all the same! On the back of the papers, it is written May '66. So I'm assuming that's when he bought it.

Anyway, Harmonic minor eh? I'll give it a shot. THanks!

• Members

super {censored} you:):) just kidding....sort of. that guitar is absolutely gorgeous. your dad was cooler than my dad...{censored}.

i will never be lucky or wealthy enough to own one of those. i've come to terms with it. if i were you, i'd sit on that thing for LIFE. :)

good for you, man. it actually looks like a REAL one, too.

• Moderators

My guitarist had one back in the late 70s. It was more about the Ramones than the Ventures then though. The key to writing great surf music is to write melodies, period. Telstar (not surf I know), Walk Don't Run. Those are great tunes with cool chordal support first. The surf trappings are secondary, although admittedly important to the genre. But the surf instrumentals that focused on the idiom more than the tune itself, songs like... wait, I can't remember the names...

• Members

HAHAHHAHAHAHA I been jamming to surf tunes on PANDORA.COM for the last week! How timely. I miss the simple fun of these style songs and wish you the best of skill doing some new surf music. I'd live to hear it. My take away from the surf style music is it uses very BASIC elements: BASIC drums, guitar, bass, some organ, nothing fancy... ALL melody and song smith skillz, not FX and gimmicks! Gotta love that

Archived