Anyone here listened to any Sufjan Stevens?

Swingfinger

• Members

He comes from a very similar as Iron and Wine. I have been enjoying his albums immensely.

I like Sufjan.

Without knowing exactly what noun you intended after "similar," I rather disagree with the comparison to I&W, although I like both artists a great deal. They're both mellow, I suppose, and excellent songwriters, but I don't see a lot of similarities otherwise.

Sufjan has made some great acoustic/folk tunes, but his most popular songs always sound very produced to me, very polished, orchestral pop music. (Just off the top of my head I'm thinking of the middle of "Chicago," when the chorus sings in harmony, mirrored by the glockenspiel/bells sound, while a crystal-clear plays a countermelody above everything. It's unbelieveably stylized - rather reminiscent of a Broadway musical, everything pristine and layered.) Frankly, I think that's Sufjan's real talent - the vision and the arranging skill to compose all these disparate instrumental parts, and the different sections of his (often long) songs.

Iron & Wine to me, is much more "roots" music. Granted, his last record The Shepherd's Dog features more instruments and ambient noise, but his tunes always feel like folk melodies plucked straight from an Alabama twilight. I hear a lot less emphasis on production in I&W than Sufjan, more emphasis on truly striking lyrics and melodies.

Love 'em both though; glad others feel the same way.

• Members

Illinois is a great album. Haven't really gotten into Michigan, not that its not good, I just haven't listened enough. He's a great writer and great in the studio. Everything comes out very clear and precise like palpitations mentioned. I wonder when he'll release a new album.

• Members

Sufjan is great. I really love his sense of melody...it's somber, yet very playful and loose. And he makes very simple things sound lush and vibrant. Even "Swans" (my least favorite, too) is full of highly sophisticated melodies.

He ultimately reminds me of Nick Drake, both sharing a sense of melancholy with an underlying whimsical melody. That's just what I hear though.

Archived