Writing lyrics and melodies just over beat.

CLOCK13

• Members

I have a question to ask if you do not mind. I made a part of beat the other day which contained cymbols and a backbeat and then I wrote lyrics and vocal melodies over it. The vocal melodies go great with the beat but the beat is not yet finished. Is it possible when I finish the beat that the added drums that will make up the full beat will not go with the vocal melody I created? The reason I do not finish the beat myself and see is I do not know how to you use the recording software to put my vocal and beat and everything toghether. The partial beats I make and sing over always have the back beat and cymbols which I feel is the most important.

• Members

Certainly, it's possible (way too easy) to write a drum part that will make it difficult to sing certain rhythms over it.

But, really, it sounds like the best advice here is to suggest you sit down and learn your recording software so you can do some proper experimentation and see for youreslf.

Just read the messages from different folks on these boards -- there is a real range of knowledge and sophistication... If they can do it -- a smart guy like you can do it. :D

• Members

Hmmm... I guess hang out, look for people doing instrumental music that fits what you want to do who might be looking for someone to collab with. If you have something recorded that shows your writing and performing chops, you can use that as a 'demo reel' if they want to hear what you do. Even if it's not technically slick on the music side, as long as it shows off your skills, it should help.

Back on the personal production front, maybe instead of programming your own beats right off, it might be helpful to work with prefab beats/loops.

Using something like ACID, Garageband, Fruity, where you've got a bunch of prefabricated bits you can assemble into something of your own, can give you a lot experience in seeing what works without the hard-startup of creating your beats from scratch.

After you've worked with other folks' loops and beats for a while, you'll have a better idea of what works, what works for you, and you'll probably have some pretty good insights on how to put them together. (Analyzing other folks rhythm work against a graphic grid can be invaluable.)

Good luck!

• Members
Hmmm... I guess hang out, look for people doing instrumental music that fits what you want to do who might be looking for someone to collab with. If you have something recorded that shows your writing and performing chops, you can use that as a 'demo reel' if they want to hear what you do. Even if it's not technically slick on the music side, as long as it shows off your skills, it should help.

Back on the personal production front, maybe instead of programming your own beats right off, it might be helpful to work with prefab beats/loops.

Using something like ACID, Garageband, Fruity, where you've got a bunch of prefabricated bits you can assemble into something of your own, can give you a lot experience in seeing what works without the hard-startup of creating your beats from scratch.

Good Advice blue 2 blue: Can you believe I can legally use other people's drum loops in my songs without changing them at all? I wish somebody told me that 8 years ago. One final question: What is the most user friendly between ACID, Garageband and Fruity?

Archived