Just For Yesterdays

BrianKeesy

• Members

My first post of hopefully many to come. I'm trying to do some recordings of this song so when I do I'll post them up here as well. Until then here are the lyrics and chords for it.

e|--0-----0-----0-----0-----0-----0--|

B|--1-----3-----0-----0-----0-----0--|

G|--0-----0-----0-----0-----0-----0--|

D|--2-----4-----2-----0-----2-----4--|

A|--3-----5-----0-----2-----3-----5--|

E|-----------------------------------|

C D Am7 Bdim 2C 2D

-----> = Slide

C------>D------->C------->D

Did you say that once?

C------->D------->C------->D

Why were you that lost?

C-------->D----->C------->D

Was there hope inside

C------>D---------->C------->D

Or just give up and die

Whats this here I see

Is this a part of me

Do I see it through

All for me and you

Am7------>Bdim------------->2C---->2D

Whats the point of all this crying anyways?

Whats the point of all this lying anyways?

Whats the point of all this trying anyways?

Is this all just for yesterdays?

What's this to you baby

Will you stick around for me

well is there hope for us

or just eternal lust

I don't think of you

when my heart is blue

I get my love in stride

so from you it hides

Whats the point of all this crying anyways?

Whats the point of all the lying anyways?

Whats the point of all this trying anyways?

Is this all just for yesterdays?

What's this to you baby

will you stick around for me

well is there hope for us

or just eternal lust

• Members

Welcome to the songwriting forum, Brian!

The SW forum is devoted to talking about the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on new songs and other works in progress.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend largely on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you.

And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

:)

I think you've got something here... of course, it's hard to get the feel of a song and how it's intended to be delivered from lyrics (even lyrics with tab).

A couple of concerns: depening on the delivery, I could imagine that short scale of your rhyming lines puts those AA and BB rhymes quite close to each other, syllable-wise. If the tempo is slow, it might not be an issue. But it wouldn't be too hard for me to imagine a delivery where the tightly spaced rhymes might sound sing-songy. Also, a couple of the rhymes seem convenient, rather than necessarily well-chosen.

Sometimes, even when I have a line I really like I'll have to change it, because it just doesn't offer the right opportunities for its rhyming mate, forcing an awkward or, worse, a somewhat less-than meaningful/on-point choice of phrase/meaning. IOW, I figure it's okay to have moon and June in there, rhyming -- if I really want to talk about June and the moon. But if one of them (or, worse, both) are in there just to rhyme... well... it's a problem, in my mind.

• Members

Thank you for the welcome.

You are right. A couple of the rhymes are convenient but I tried to use the word that fit best and still sounded good. I'm not too happy with the "What's this to you baby" line but that is how I was feeling at the time so it worked out. I don't really like using the word "baby" at all but sometimes it is the only one I can think of.

When I wrote the song, I was in a relationship where I felt like I was giving as much as I could to make it work and she wasn't giving any effort at all. So it felt like the further we were going along the less I was liking her and I started lying and trying to cover it up and the more I did that the more I was hurting myself. Thats why the chorus is repetitive like it is, I was trying to convey that over and over I was lying too much to her, trying to hard to be happy, and hurting myself in the process.

It is a slow tempo song. I'm not sure how to describe it in terms of tempo but they way I've been singing it, it seems to work out ok. There is a short pause at the end of each line that seems to help spread the rhymes out a little bit. Once I get a decent recording done (I'm still "refining" my singing skills) I'll upload it to soundclick and various other places. I have a poor quality one on my facebook and a nice one I did with a friend of mine singing it.

I will be more than willing to help anybody that needs it when I can. I don't get to check the forum out on a regular basis due to not having the internet at my house (I'm at work right now), but I will do what I can. I've found that I can almost always learn something new when I'm trying to help somebody get over a hurdle.

I am also a multi-instrumentalist so if somebody needs to have some parts made up for a certain instrument I can help there as well. I've been learning how to write scores for orchestral instruments but I'm not too good at that yet, if somebody were to need it.

Also, is there a good dictionary program out there that has a rhyming dictionary built into it?

• Members

Yeah... I figured as much on the tempo. I have songs like that, too. Read them off the page and it's... uh oh. But sung, it works out.

With regard to meaning and sentiment vs rhyme choice, problematic phrases/cliches/etc... sometimes you just have to go with what you feel and what you mean, even if it's not the most clever/subtle/cool/literate/whatever choice. To me, there's a core of meaning and emotion that usually must be served first if a song is to work.

That said, I have sometimes, with some reluctance, moved a song away from its original motivations and even emotions when I discovered a "better" song lurking within what I had. It's a tradeoff, sometimes. There are no hard and fast rules.

• Members

So I've had you playlist playing here for the last hour or so and I have to say it is pretty amazing. You've done some great work not only with the songs themselves but with the whole setup of the blog thingy. Thank you for sharing that music with the world and I hope I can return the favor shortly. Do you offer a way to download the songs? I have an mp3 cd player in my truck and I'd love to have an mp3 cd of your songs to listen to on my drives (I drive a half hour to work and another half back).

I was also reading some of your other posts about Band-In-A-Box and after checking out their website it sounds like something I might like. I don't do much with drums so I've been looking for a way to program drums into my songs that I've been trying to record. Can you record audio into it and put the other stuff over it or does it only program stuff? I think I'm missing that point from reading on the website (I may have just not found it yet).

• Members

Looks like it does what I'd want it to do. Have you done this before? Does it work good?

"Full production of your own audio CD: George sings and plays guitar for country songs that he loves to write. He wants to make a CD of his songs. He selects a country style, then records a vocal track using a microphone connected to his computer. He then uses the Audio Harmonizer to add audio harmonies to his vocals during the chorus sections. Next, he overdubs his vocals with a guitar track, and adds a touch of reverb to the audio track. Finally, he renders his song and burns an audio CD using the included CD burning software... all done entirely within Band-in-a-Box."

• Members

Welcome to the forum!

The best rhyming dictionary I've found is at rhymezone.com - totally free.

As for your lyrics - they're pleasant enough, but not particularly memorable. Try working towards a more specific image or idea that will stick in the mind of the reader/listener.

Stuff like

I don't think of you

when my heart is blue

I get my love in stride

so from you it hides

is okay, but I don't know exactly what you're saying about this relationship, or how it makes this relationship different from any other. A more concrete image or scene will help seperate this song and relationship from all the others we hear about.

• Members

So I've had you playlist playing here for the last hour or so and I have to say it is pretty amazing. You've done some great work not only with the songs themselves but with the whole setup of the blog thingy. Thank you for sharing that music with the world and I hope I can return the favor shortly. Do you offer a way to download the songs? I have an mp3 cd player in my truck and I'd love to have an mp3 cd of your songs to listen to on my drives (I drive a half hour to work and another half back).

I was also reading some of your other posts about Band-In-A-Box and after checking out their website it sounds like something I might like. I don't do much with drums so I've been looking for a way to program drums into my songs that I've been trying to record. Can you record audio into it and put the other stuff over it or does it only program stuff? I think I'm missing that point from reading on the website (I may have just not found it yet).

Thanks for the kind words, Brian.

I decided a while back that I needed, like, a library, like famous authors and presidents and statesmen have. :D Since it looked like I was the only one who was going to do it... I needed a way to trick myself into the work.

And, when I started, podcasts were just heating up and I felt like I needed some practical experience. I do have to say (if I do say so myself) I've got a pretty cool system going over there. The only thing slicker would be if I could get the program to do everything and all I'd have to give it would be a few keywords and it would write the damn vignette thang for me.

I actually started the vignette thing as a promo for songs I'd posted on the old mp3.com (have to reach back past the turn of the century for the start of those memories).

With regards to Band-in-a-Box... I've found it very useful -- but I'm not sure I'd want to try to do serious multitracking in it. At least not the version I have. For sure. But, sure, you can get a vocal down in it. And, cooler, you can use the harmonizer built-in with the chords in the arrangement window to generate vocal harmonies. It's not the most sophisticated, and I've never got anything that really sounded like actual harmony parts but it can come pretty close if you work it. Close enough to work out a song, for sure. I had fun with the vaguely Queen-like intro to this song.

But the interfaces are quite clunky.

Although, again, I'm on an older version, Version 2005.

And if one pairs the arranements it generates with just any old crappy GM synth with tinky voices, the arrangements really will sound like a Casio demo.

But if you match them up with good voices and tinker things, you can get some pretty usable drum and other back tracks. I seldom take everything the way it's generated, the fills are sometimes a bit, you know, round-the-toms-heavy (but then so are a lot of drummers, eh?) I frequently drop it into my sequencer and tinker the MIDI. -- Oh another cool thing, you can piece together complex arrangements in BiaB from different styles. I used to do that in my sequencer, but it's nice to be able to just insert a style change into a given piece.

At its best it's like having a decent robo backup band. At its worst. it's more like a quick way to program a Casio demo. ;)

Whether or not you get BiaB you should definitely investigate the recording software Reaper. It's free to try out and there's no time-out so you won't be forced to decide in the middle of a project because a trial period ends. It's quite reasonable in both non-commercial and commercial versions. (I think that's how it works.) And the developer is amazingly responsive to bug reports, feature requests, you name it. People like the shop that puts it out, Cockos.

That might be a good balance to BiaB. Another option might be Powertracks Pro, also from PG Music, the BiaB people. It's been a while since I used it and I don't think it's nearly in the same league as the much newer Reaper, but it's quite reasonably priced; you can probably get a special deal on it through PG, if you try, maybe bundled with BiaB. OTOH, Reaper is so much cooler... :D

On the rhyming dictionary front -- someone here in the SW forum turned me on to this free rhyming dictionary that's got some pretty amazing features. I'm more a Wordpad kind of guy, but it's got word by word rhymes and thesaurus entries and counts syllables and... it's free. http://www.bryantmcgill.com/Free_Rhyming_Dictionary/

• Members

Thank you all for the information. I haven't used Reaper but I do use Audacity. I have been able to do decent work through it and there are alot of good options (most of which I have no idea what they do). So I was thinking if I found a decent way to "program" a drum track, I could always input that into Audacity and then record the rest of the stuff from there. So now that I'm thinking about it more BiaB might be a little much for what I'm trying to do.

---------------

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=817595&content=music

If that link didn't work please let me know. That is the "basic" recorded version of "Just For Yesterdays". I'm not that much of a singer yet so please keep the critiquing to the songwriting techniques. Thank you for the input.

• Members

Thank you all for the information. I haven't used Reaper but I do use Audacity. I have been able to do decent work through it and there are alot of good options (most of which I have no idea what they do). So I was thinking if I found a decent way to "program" a drum track, I could always input that into Audacity and then record the rest of the stuff from there. So now that I'm thinking about it more BiaB might be a little much for what I'm trying to do.

---------------

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=817595&content=music

If that link didn't work please let me know. That is the "basic" recorded version of "Just For Yesterdays". I'm not that much of a singer yet so please keep the critiquing to the songwriting techniques. Thank you for the input.

Reaper is an amazing program, especially considering the price (or lack thereof). However, as a scratch pad, just for cutting an idea, Audacity is good. Reaper is geared more heavily towards being the ultimate open-source recording program. It's like the difference between a 4-track cassette recorder and a huge mixing desk connected to racks of gear.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on Reaper. I love it.:thu:

• Members

I paid good money for ACID and Vegas, so I don't use Reaper much, but I have used it, and I think it's pretty damn close to as good as Vegas as an audio editor (and has a very similar interface, in function, which is nice), and when you factor in price, it's (in my opinion) the best multitracker out there based on cost. Nothing else is even close (not even Audacity).

Brian

Archived