New Song "awake the sounds"

Jxeboy

• Members

In preperation for my new album I tried a lot of new recording techniques with this one. I really worked on the drum sound, and ended up with a much better mix. I want to make the songs sound kind of open, and having a lot of space. I achieved some of what I wanted, but any suggestions would be great. The song is called "awake the sounds" and you can listen at

http://www.myspace.com/callingyou478

http://www.soundclick.com/callingyou

Thanks guys!

~jake

• Members

I really enjoyed that song. The drum mix, the guitars, the vocals...they all played so nicely together. The one thing I've always struggled with in my own recordings is where the cymbals should sit in the mix. In everything I've ever read about mixing, they've always said the cymbals should sit back in the mix because they can cause higher frequency distortions. Anyway, you seemed to have nailed it. The drums sound very focused and clean. If you don't mind me asking, how did you record the percussion parts? What new techniques did you use?

• Members

I really enjoyed that song. The drum mix, the guitars, the vocals...they all played so nicely together. The one thing I've always struggled with in my own recordings is where the cymbals should sit in the mix. In everything I've ever read about mixing, they've always said the cymbals should sit back in the mix because they can cause higher frequency distortions. Anyway, you seemed to have nailed it. The drums sound very focused and clean. If you don't mind me asking, how did you record the percussion parts? What new techniques did you use?

I concentrated very heavily on the drum sound in this mix, so I'm glad someone noticed it. I really focused on getting rid of that constant cymbal ring as you noted above. I did this by using individual mics for each tom, and then taking my overheads and using a mic with a very narrow pickup area and facing them away from the toms but still at the cymbals. I then gated everything but the overhead mics, and paned them really far to each side. I then put some compression on the snare and kick, and paned all the tom mics so when I did a fill it came from every angle. I put all the drum tracks on a group channel and compressed the whole thing a little to give it a together sound, and turned them up pretty loud. I also always make sure I cut the lower EQ on all the tracks. I think they came out pretty good, but I still think the kick needs to be more defined. Anyways, thanks for listening and if you have any more questions, or suggestions for me just ask.

~Jake

Archived