New Song-Land Of The Free

The dman

• Members

I hope my timing isn't off with this song given the current political atmosphere in the US but I wrote this song a few years ago reflecting on the reality of living with opression and dreaming about moving to America.

The song is about 75% done as far as recording goes so I thought I'd throw it to the wind and get some comments.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6451459

Land OF The Free

I wanna roll across the fields of plenty

Through the heart of America

Just ride the road till my tank is empty

And I may never come back again

I want to feel the morning sunrise

Reigning down the misty mountainside

And if I find what I

• Members

Interesting you guys bring up some valid points. This is a song that I kind of do my own thing on but your right, change the arrangement and get somebody who can sing country and it would probably have more impact in that genre.

Something to think about :idea:

Thanks

• Members

OK... I think you've got a song in here. I can think through this to get down to the torn emotions that must accompany such decisions... but I feel I'm hearing a guy talk about yearning for something new and different in a very distant and un-concrete way.

I don't really have much idea why he wants to leave home, what's driving him (at least besides the somewhat vague idea of "oppression" -- when Bob Marley talks about oppression, I know what he means -- but he usually would still put in the detail and example that makes it feel real and immediate [and when he doesn't, it's usually one of his weaker songs, in my mind].)

And the idea of the new land is somewhat cloaked in familiar, predigested phrases... I want to really see what he sees when he looks into this future he's dreaming of -- not some platitudes about freedom and the open road and that sort of thing.

So, I think you've really got a song here -- but I'm feeling like I'd like to see you recast it with more vivid, specific images and maybe tell us -- or hint, for sure, is ok --more about why he wants to leave his old life behind.

• Members

I actually like the vagueness of it. I'd actually make it more vague than more detailed. I'd also be inclined to imply America rather than say America. Otherwise, there's a danger of falling into Jingoism or American Idol territory.

Without changing it too much, here's an idea for a quick revision of the second verse:

Mama I can

Archived