Song To Sing Fiance At Our Wedding Reception...

• Members

I spent some time today trying to put together a song to sing to my fiance at our wedding reception in September. It's going to be a surprise, and rather than do a slow, ballad-ish song, I decided that I'm going to do something funny.

It's SUPER unpolished, and could suck, but please watch the video below, and let me know if you have any suggestions. As for some of the references, her family sees me as kind of lazy (since I work from home), and my family sees her as someone who doesn't take criticism very well. Some of the references in the song are about how much of a pain in the ass I am to wake up in the morning, how I'm a huge Red Sox fan, etc. The lyrics are below the video. You'll notice a split in the video (where two clips were spliced together). My daughter knocked the camera down, so I had to re-record the end.

Anyway, thoughts/opinions? Too conversational/sarcastic for a wedding? Go the slow, sappy route? Any lines you'd change?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I'm not gonna tell you what to say

It's not like you'd listen anyway

I guess that's cool if I can sleep

Awake before 9 makes me weep

I'll give you everything you need

Even if it makes my hair recede

I'll give you more and more and more

Just let me check the Sox game score

Believe me that it's gonna be

Our own demented fantasy

Cause I'll be there by your side and

Find ways to swallow pride and

Lift you up when you're feeling down

Even if it takes all day

I'll love you till we're old and gray

In my toupee

Call me crazy call me weird

My life was lost then you appeared

Don't know the where, or when, or how

Just know how much I love you now

Easy ain't our thing so don't expect

Every single day to be perfect

Just know I'll try to help you see

How beautiful you are to me

Cause I'll be there by your side and

Find ways to swallow pride and

Lift you up when you're feeling down

Even if it takes all day

I'll love you till we're old and gray

Early bird special at the brunch buffet

Buy your Depends and your Vitamin A

In my toupee

• Members

OK... I'm going to go back and listen to this -- but as soon as I read the phase "...I'm going to do something funny..." I had to click reply...

I'm sure I don't have to point out that there are many inculturated and biological differences between men and women (and if I do now, I'm sure I won't after a few months/years of married life)...

Not the least of which are often very different sensibilities when it comes to (what many see as) sacred rituals. Like, you know, gettin' hitched.

For every gal who loves a good joke on her wedding day in the middle of the ceremony -- I'm thinking there are, oh, conservatively, about 40,000 who very much will not enjoy same. Much. Even if they pretend to.

I'll come back in a little while when I have a chance to actually listen to this. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. I seriously didn't read another two words after "...funny."

;)

• Members

I finally had a chance to check this.

I'm charmed.

I now notice that it's going to be at the reception so my fantasy of you stopping the formal ceremony in the middle and busting out into song (actually that does sound kinda cool) was happily ill-founded.

I would say that, as long as she's not more than 6 months older than you, if she is not also greatly charmed by this she is just not in the spirit of things. (Do not tell her I said that, though, should this all blow up in your face and you're looking for a scapegoat. I don't want no blushing brides coming after me like an outtake from Bridezilla. :D )

Seriously, I think it's a sweet little song.

The very last bit could be a little uncomfortable for the real old folks and/or grandfolks. I have an older friend who's been going through some tough health issues and, you try not to get bogged down in the little stuff and keep perspective but I suspect there are times when its the little indignities that weigh more, day to day, in some ways, than the big threats.

That said, I think that bit shows a real romantic spirit on your part. It's a real celebration of enduring love told in a quite understandable and vivid way. And amusing, in a human, earthy, way.

It's a celebration of life. Of love.

I've had too much coffee.

Nice song! ;)

• Members

I think it's a really nice song. I don't know what your wedding will be like - it could work....

From my limited experience in getting married though, I would leave all humor to the best man. It's what he's there for, it's his little payback for having to rent a tux and hang out with bridesmaids. In addition, I don't recall ever thinking at my wedding that I needed to be MORE in the center of attention - just remembering peoples names and the right dancing steps for the generation of my partner was about all I could handle. The additional stress of singing and playing an original song in front of a bunch of people I hardly knew and might never see again or would start seeing every holiday season for the rest of my life was not a necessary addition to the day.

But, as I said to begin with, YMMV. The song will definitely get you laid. I would save it until you really need it.

• Members

I think it's a really nice song. I don't know what your wedding will be like - it could work....

From my limited experience in getting married though, I would leave all humor to the best man. It's what he's there for, it's his little payback for having to rent a tux and hang out with bridesmaids. In addition, I don't recall ever thinking at my wedding that I needed to be MORE in the center of attention - just remembering peoples names and the right dancing steps for the generation of my partner was about all I could handle. The additional stress of singing and playing an original song in front of a bunch of people I hardly knew and might never see again or would start seeing every holiday season for the rest of my life was not a necessary addition to the day.

But, as I said to begin with, YMMV. The song will definitely get you laid. I would save it until you really need it.

For us, we're only going to have about 50-60 people, all of which are close friends and family. If it made sense to just bring her outside and play it for her I would, as it's really just a "for her" thing. But, the venue dictates that I play it in front of everyone.

And, I'll write a new one when I need help getting laid. ;)

Mike

• Members

My two cents, use another adjective other than "demented". The funny lines are funny, the serious lines are good and there are clear transitions between the two. I think people will like it for the most part. It hints, humorously and effectively, at marital conflict. "Just let me check the Sox game score..." and then comes back to a serious tone... and it's good. "Believe me that it's gonna be. Our own ... fantasy, Cause I'll be there by your side and

Find ways to swallow pride." I mean... that's awesome. The only problem I see with it is that when you're talking about the fantasy, the emphasis should be on OUR, ya know? It's like "...look I don't like to get up in the morning, my hair's probably going to recede and we're going to have a couple of conflicts about the Red Sox, but other than that... I'm gonna swallow my pride, apologize a lot and try really hard.." THAT'S the message... at least the way I see it. I'm concerned the emphasis isn't on the fact that you're saying, "But hey, all joking aside, it's about us... this OUR fantasy". The emphasis to the listener (all those 80+ year old women in the crowd!) may end up, "this is our own DEMENTED fantasy..." followed by the film score "DU DU DU DUM!"

I think you should pick a positive adjective that matches the tone. ...and hopefully her family will laugh at some of the lyrics, recognize the sincerity in the seriousness and when it's over say things like, "...well that was really nice."

My two cents. Oh, and if it didn't come across in this post... I think it's a great song.

• Members

Man, that's awesome! Really sweet and sincere sounding. There won't be a girl in the room not crying. Seriously, kudos.

One line struck me as a little iffy. The "Demented Fantasy" thing. It stuck out just a little, amid an otherwise sweet, cute, song.

Again, kudos! :thu::thu:

• Members

The emphasis to the listener (all those 80+ year old women in the crowd!) may end up, "this is our own DEMENTED fantasy..." followed by the film score "DU DU DU DUM!"

This is exactly what I was trying to say, but you did a much better job. :D

• Members

My two cents, use another adjective other than "demented". The funny lines are funny, the serious lines are good and there are clear transitions between the two. I think people will like it for the most part. It hints, humorously and effectively, at marital conflict. "Just let me check the Sox game score..." and then comes back to a serious tone... and it's good. "Believe me that it's gonna be. Our own ... fantasy, Cause I'll be there by your side and

Find ways to swallow pride." I mean... that's awesome. The only problem I see with it is that when you're talking about the fantasy, the emphasis should be on OUR, ya know? It's like "...look I don't like to get up in the morning, my hair's probably going to recede and we're going to have a couple of conflicts about the Red Sox, but other than that... I'm gonna swallow my pride, apologize a lot and try really hard.." THAT'S the message... at least the way I see it. I'm concerned the emphasis isn't on the fact that you're saying, "But hey, all joking aside, it's about us... this OUR fantasy". The emphasis to the listener (all those 80+ year old women in the crowd!) may end up, "this is our own DEMENTED fantasy..." followed by the film score "DU DU DU DUM!"

I think you should pick a positive adjective that matches the tone. ...and hopefully her family will laugh at some of the lyrics, recognize the sincerity in the seriousness and when it's over say things like, "...well that was really nice."

My two cents. Oh, and if it didn't come across in this post... I think it's a great song.

Thanks for the input. Now that I actually sit back and read the lyrics, I agree. I'm going to think of what line to put there.

I'm thinking...

"Believe me that it's gonna be...our chance to live our fantasy."

Thoughts?

Mike

• Members

Thanks for the input. Now that I actually sit back and read the lyrics, I agree. I'm going to think of what line to put there.

I'm thinking...

"Believe me that it's gonna be...our chance to live our fantasy."

Thoughts?

Mike

Yep - good revision - it works well.

I'm not gonna tell you what to say

It's not like you'd listen anyway

I'll give you everything you need

Even if it makes my hair recede

I agree - let someone else make the jokes. You may intend the above lines to be funny but I find them to be slightly critical. I'm sure you don't want to come across the wrong way so why take the chance? The rest of the song is more "loving" and suits the tone of a love song... Congrats and may you enjoy many years of domestic bliss!

• Members

"our chance to live our fantasy" is a very good revision indeed. Thanks for the chance to critique. It's nice to help, most of the time I just piss people off. =D

I was working on it last night, and I'm thinking of using "Our unpredicted fantasy", because of all the bull{censored} we've put each other through since we met. ;)

Mike

Archived