Amp Help.....Marshall Valvestate

• Members

I just bought a used Valvestate 8040. 40 watt 112 ss preamp hybrid. I hope someone has had this problem and knows the fix.

I know the pots could use a good cleaning, but do they have a tube that can be replaced? I havent broken into the back sheilded part, but someone was telling me there is a tube in the power section somewhere.

If thats the case then I am pretty sure it could stand to be replaced.

I get great Marshall growl as long as I am playing chords in both the clean and crunch settings. But when I try to play some leads or single notes, it almost sounds like I am using a octiver....I get a bass droneing note under the note I am playing....weird...

• Members

I just bought a used Valvestate 8040. 40 watt 112 ss preamp hybrid. I hope someone has had this problem and knows the fix.

I know the pots could use a good cleaning, but do they have a tube that can be replaced? I havent broken into the back sheilded part, but someone was telling me there is a tube in the power section somewhere.

If thats the case then I am pretty sure it could stand to be replaced.

I get great Marshall growl as long as I am playing chords in both the clean and crunch settings. But when I try to play some leads or single notes, it almost sounds like I am using a octiver....I get a bass droneing note under the note I am playing....weird...

That is strange I doubt it is the Tube but that can be replaced, is the speaker ok?

I had 2 of these (8080) fantastic amps.

• Members

That is strange I doubt it is the Tube but that can be replaced, is the speaker ok?

I had 2 of these (8080) fantastic amps.

Yea love the tone for a hybrid. The speaker is fine. Its a 12" celestion. Its weird but I think there is supposed to be a tube in the preamp section somewhere. I cant find anything about them online as they quit production back in the 90's.

Great amp...just wish I could figure out a fix for it...

• Members

Just pull the amp chassis out and you'll see the tube clear as day. I have heard that some Valvestates didn't have tubes. I have 2, a 65 watt and 100 watt and they both have one. Try replacing the tube, it's an easy fix if that's your problem.

• Members

Just pull the amp chassis out and you'll see the tube clear as day. I have heard that some Valvestates didn't have tubes. I have 2, a 65 watt and 100 watt and they both have one. Try replacing the tube, it's an easy fix if that's your problem.

yeah, i might be wrong. I had a valvestate vs100 with no tubes. I thought the other valvestates didn't have any. Apparently they do. But yeah, the best thing is to open it and see for yourself

• Members

In Marshall site:

What is Valvestate?

Quite simply Valvestate technology emulates the superb tone of a cranked to the max all-valve power stage with uncanny accuracy.

Always known valvestate as an emulator amp...I didn't had access to the internet in those days...

8040 - This 40 Watt, 1x12, twin channel combo features an ECC83 (1 2AX7) valve in the Boost channel's pre-amp section for authentic valve distortion. Contour, Reverb and an Effects Loop make this amp equally effective at home, on stage or in the studio.

I guess I'll never stop learning. Even so, it was a bit tone limited, never appreciated much

• Members

In Marshall site:

What is Valvestate?

Quite simply Valvestate technology emulates the superb tone of a cranked to the max all-valve power stage with uncanny accuracy.

Always known valvestate as an emulator amp...I didn't had access to the internet in those days...

8040 - This 40 Watt, 1x12, twin channel combo features an ECC83 (1 2AX7) valve in the Boost channel's pre-amp section for authentic valve distortion. Contour, Reverb and an Effects Loop make this amp equally effective at home, on stage or in the studio.

I guess I'll never stop learning. Even so, it was a bit tone limited, never appreciated much

It's cool.....that's what this forum is SUPPOSED to be about.

It's a Marshall...they ARE limited in tone. Even the nicest ones. Not saying it's not good.

The secret for me and my VS100r was changing out the speaker, and keeping the highs and presence very low.

• Members

Thats not a tube, its a lightbulb to illuminate the wonderful SS circuitry...:lol:

• Members

I guess you never looked inside then. The only Valvestate amps without tubes are the rack power amps and some of the low power
marshall-board.jpg

Uhhh...why is the arrow pointing to a random transistor and not the tube near the front of the chassis?

Or do I misunderstand the point you are trying to make?

• Members

Uhhh...why is the arrow pointing to a random transistor and not the tube near the front of the chassis?

Or do I misunderstand the point you are trying to make?

I was going to copy the pic, and put an arrow where it's supposed to go.

Obviously...there is a tube there.

What does exactly is still up for debate, apparently! :cop:

• Members

That was just a random picture showing the insides of VR100. Nevermind the arrow, anyone who knows how a tube looks like can spot it.

As for the "debate" of the function of the tube: There is no debate. There are either facts or incorrect information spread by people who know jack shit. If in doubt, you can always scope / simulate the design and see exactly what the tube does in the circuit. Arguing about the function is pointless.

But in short, the tube in Valvestate amps is NOT for decoration - and I don

• Members

It's cool.....that's what this forum is SUPPOSED to be about.

It's a Marshall...they ARE limited in tone. Even the nicest ones. Not saying it's not good.

The secret for me and my VS100r was changing out the speaker, and keeping the highs and presence very low.

:facepalm:

• Members

That was just a random picture showing the insides of VR100. Nevermind the arrow, anyone who knows how a tube looks like can spot it.

The OP didn't even know that his amp HAD a tube, as well as a few posters, so taking for granted he knows what one looks like doesn't seem like the right step.

Ive seen noobs that thought the illumination light for a power switch was a tube...:facepalm:

We dont always know what the expertise level is for everyone that posts in here.

• Members

:facepalm:

What?

I might have a clip around. I know I have one with a Voodu Valve in front of it.

A tool is only as good as the craftsman.

You might be talking about my Marshall comment. I never said it was bad....but they aren;t exactly known for a HUGE array of tone....

Maybe it would help me if you ditch the :facepalm: and just say.

• Members

I've owned a number of Valvestates, and as others have mentioned, some have tubes and some don't. I recently picked up an 8040 which does have a tube. I also have a VS230, which I'm putting up for sale soon. About a year ago I was opening it up to fix a jack and figured I'd drop in a new JJ tube to see if it made a difference. I couldn't believe that when I got it open that there was no tube in it. That's when I did some research and found that some have them and some don't. I've had four different Valvestate models over the years and they are, indeed, pretty decent amps for the money - especially after doing some speaker swaps. It's not my main amp, but I always seem to have one around.

• Members

I wasn't saying bad of the valvestate amps. They're cool for beginners, and for players who don't need a full amy of tones. But, compared to the last Crate V series, for example, they aren't match, since it's old technology Vs a new one..