Bring back that new song feeling

• Members

I wrote a great song about five years ago. It was a real moment of inspiration, and I could tell right away the song would be a keeper. I recorded myself instantly, capturing the excitement, the passion, the joy that comes with a new creation. I loved the song. It was my baby. I had made it.

I loved it so much I played it all the time. To myself, while sitting on my bed. To girls I was trying to impress. To the local open mike crowd. People liked it, they said it was one of my best songs, they said they had dreams about the melody. I kept playing it.

Somewhere along the way, something happened. I can't place my finger on exactly when or where or how, but I stopped loving that song. I never close my eyes anymore when I sing it's chorus. There's no tenderness, like before, in my fingerpicking. I'm trying hard not to show it, but baby, baby, I know it. I've lost that new song feeling.

Now when I play it at open mikes, people start conversations with their neighbors. They order another round of drinks. It's lost its magic.

I listen to my old recording, and I think, damn, that's a good song, but when I play it now, it just doesn't have the same energy. So it's not the song that's changed, its me.

But here's the question. Is it gone gone gone? Or can I bring it on back? Is it possible to recapture the excitement of a new composition? How?

• Members

You need to work on your relationship. Spend time together, just the two of you, like you did when your relationship was new. Also, couples counseling with a certified therapist once a week.

These feelings are not unique or wrong - there is a point when every songwriter starts taking his songs for granted, not appreciating them for the precious nuggets that they are - but just because you have these feelings is no reason to lose the good love that you had.

:lol:

• Members

It's a fact of performing that there are gigs where you just phone in it. When I get into that mode, I try to snap out of it by asking myself -- just before I play a song -- what if this were the last time I'll ever get to play this song?

Though I've played a song a hundred times or more, I keep reminding myself that there may be someone in the audience who is only hearing it for the first time.

• Members

You could meet it once a year at a hidden retreat for a secret rendezvous. Hilton Head is nice, they tell me. Find a discreet little B&B off the beaten track. Maybe wear sunglasses and a fake mustache when you go out.

• Members

Let someone else play it.

You're not going to permanently lose a song. Unless you get hit by a bus.

If you don't have enough other great songs to play instead of that one, write some. You can bring the old one back for your "Eddieboston2:Anthology" album and reunion tour.

• Members

Absence makes the heart grow fonder....

(Jeebus, I'm a cliche factory today!)

Put it aside for a while. When you play it again, maybe you'll see what makes it a great song and you can recapture the feeling again.

Or not. I ate oatmeal every working day for months and I just can't eat it any more.

Think about guys that have been playing their songs for 40 years or more:

Dylan - "Blowin' In The Wind"

Paulie - "Yesterday"

Mick - "Satisfaction"

How do they do it?

• Members

Yeah. I hear Bobby McFerrin hasn't played Don't Worry, Be Happy in years. Jimmy Buffett, though, still seems to get a kick out of playing Margaritaville for an appreciative audience (I've been to about eight of his concerts). I think there must be some trick to re-finding or maintaining the joy in a song like that, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

Archived