"Make Up Your Mind"

JimiRules

• Members

Hey guys, I just want to get some thoughts on a new song I wrote. It's not really a "studio" quality recording. We just set up some microphones in our practice room and went for a live recording.

The song is called "Make Up Your Mind." It's a Green Dayish pop/punk song about a guy who has a girl that keeps playing mind games with him. I admit they lyrics aren't the deepest, but I was concentrating on making the song more catchy and hooky than anything else. Anyways, please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=794552&songID=6510472

• Members

Thanks Travis... Yeah, l knew the mix wasn't the greatest. Like I said before, we just miked up and went for it. There's guitars feeding back, and stuff at the end that wouldn't be there if it were a polished studio "everything recorded separate" track. Thanks for the thumbs up.

• Members

It sounds properly hooky, I guess, for this type of pop-punk. I was actually able to make out some lyrics but, as a rule, I only comment on lyrics if they're posted, so I'll leave that aside. The chord changes were pretty familiar but then, after three decades of punk-derived pop and rock, that's probably none too surprising. Most chord changes in rock, pop, and country sound pretty familiar at this point. Better add the blues to that list. ;)

The band played with rough conviction and the singer sold it all well. For fans of this kind of roughed up confectionary pop, this should work well.

:)

• Members

Hi.

I think it's already hooky and I like the energy in the song.

I believe the pre-chorus is too familiar (like you mentioned, Green day-ish) and I mean the pre-chorus:

"How do you do this to me, playing with my mind"

I thought that you were going to sing:

"Sometimes I give myself the creeps... sometimes my mind plays tricks on me."

etc.

I think you could probably change the chord progression there a bit without losing any of the energy of the song.

• Members

those lyrics are simple, hooky and effective i'd say.. good work on that. The guitar solo was a little unexpected in this style.. but i dug it all the same. this kinda music aint my bag yknow, but its great for me to hear it now and then just for the pure energy of it.. thumbs up to you cats

Archived