Songwriting Challenge 10 - Vote for a Theme

rsadasiv

• Members

I keep trying to come up with Themes that are broad enough to allow as many people to participate as possible. So, in the spirit of the endless Democratic Primary, I am going to try the democratic process here, and ask people to vote on what the Theme for this month's songwriting challenge should be.

• Members

Well ... if this is in the spirit of the Democratic Primary, where's the "none of the above" option? :poke:

I voted "All of the above" ... though the first option is perfect for me -- I write all my tunes for live performance. Maybe I need to write one that never gets performed live? :idea:

Nah. ;)

• Members

So, let's get this straight...anybody voting for "all of the above" is wishing to write a song with a hook on a secondary instrument for live performance by a particular band. Did I get that right? :D

I voted for hootenanny...unfortunately the likelihood of me getting anything done this month is next to nil...

• Members

Sorry, I'm poll incompetent. Anyway, here is a little more explanation on the choices.

Written for live performance - There was a thread about "How Important is Live Performance to Your Songwriting" a while ago, and I wanted to follow up on that. Some songs don't work live. There are lots of reasons: instrumentation/arrangement, the hook has to be played absolutely precisely or it falls apart, the lyric is too personal, the energy doesn't build in an organic way. Try and write a song which will work when performed live.

Written for a particular band (doesn't have to exist) - A lot of people write for themselves or their current band. And if you are not a great performer, and don't have the money for studio musicians, this can be a significant limitation. If you could have Charlie Watts on drums, Duck Dunn on bass, Keith Richards on guitar, the Tower of Power horn section and Aretha Franklin singing, what would you write?

A song with a hook (whatever that means to you) - We've had several threads about hooks which all ended inconclusively. Maybe an example would help.

Hootenanny - Write a song on something other than your primary instrument. I guess this is slightly clearer. In "Songwriters on Songwriting", Jackson Browne says that even though he writes most of his material on guitar, he always tries playing it on the piano as well, "just to see what's there". One of my favorite Talking Heads songs, "Naive Melody (This Must Be the Place)" started with a jam in which all of the musicians switched instruments. Liberate yourself from the tyranny of the acoustic guitar and see what you can come up with playing a kazoo/jugg/whatever.

• Members

i like "other than your primary instrument" . . . that's a GREAT exercise. it forces a breakdown and simplification. also, it gets you out of patterns. that got my vote. (now, if i could only find the time to SUBMIT something, damnit!) :lol:

• Members

kazoo/jugg/whatever.

Ram, I don't know how much I should take our discussion of jug music at face value (and this was probably a year ago), but just to clarify, the instrument is called a "jug", and it's just a jug, like you'd get cheap wine in. I threw in the extra "g" as a reference to Juggs magazine, which was a stroke mag that I don't think is even published anymore.

• Members

I voted hootenanny but I felt that was unfair to me because every song on acoustic guitar and my "primary" instrument is bass. If this wins the vote we'll have to have you elaborate on the rules some.

I was thinking that a guitar in alternate tuning might squeak by for me, since I never go out of standard.

• Members

Also, it'd be
really
hard to write a song on a jug. It'd be about like writing a song with your armpit.

There's a brief scene in some Andy Griffith Show episode with Denver Pyle (as the head of the Darling clan, who were mostly the Dillards in barely speaking roles) where he plays a verse of a song solo on the jug. It pretty well upholds your position.

If you listen carefully to some of the Dillards tunes, you actually can hear a jug (doubt seriously it was played by Denver Pyle, a well-known Hollywood character actor who was also part of the extended company of actors who worked on the old B&W Perry Mason series).

With regard to the poll -- I answered the AOTA option -- but I'm willing to throw my vote with whatever seems workable.

I am a super-delegate and, hence, able to change my vote, right? :D

I'll go with the will of the people...

Archived