Rough Demo of a Song I've Been Working On

• Members

Currently just a rough idea demo, I have those annoying ass drum loops going on still. =D

I'm a little stuck, because I want a really awesome solo during the bridge section, but I can't come up anything, and I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys can come up with. If you want to just take the song and record a solo over it and send me a copy, or whatever you want. Or if you're not the hands-on type, just tell me what you think would sound good.

I've got lyrics and vocal lines already planned out for this song, and once I get this solo section it should be ready for a better quality recording and I can finish the thing.

Also any other comments are welcome as always.

Song is here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=701714

It's called Echo.

(Oh and pardon slight timing errors, I'm too lazy to fix everything for a demo anyways)

• Members

Hey, Floop, long time no etc seems like!

[As you note, the drums need some tinkering... that open hat ride -- or whatever it is -- needs to go or at least be so buried you can't hear how fake it sounds... it's like four times louder than the snare. Anyhow. You know.]

I like the overall lo fi sound, here, the edgy surf kind of thing. It feels propulsive and catchy. The right solo in that last open spot could make it work pretty well, I think.

Just lose the hat ride... :D

• Members

Haha, yah, well it's just the drum loop I used for recording so I could get some rhythmic feel. I'll be recording with my real drummer or have another drummer friend in NY do the drums once exams are all finished. I really want to know what type of solo would work.

I guess some guidance questions are in order:

Chromatic vs harmonic?

Fast flurry of notes or melodic?

Harmony instruments or single instrument?

Ridiculous or laid back?

I really wanted to go all out here but I'm worried it'll be too out of place.

• Members

IMO, start with a huge "whhhaaa" bendy then a flurry of cascading upwards notes starting on rotating thirds or wherever feels nice and then switch it up with a nice melodic "motif" of sorts then vary that until you are satisfied.

But that's just me.

• Members

I think a busy/splashy Grant Hart drum part could work against the fuzzy/melodic Bob Mould guitars - check out "New Day Rising" from Husker Du for a great example of this kind of arrangement. But as it is, the ride hat is just way too much.

Honestly, I don't want a solo. I think there is too much melodic wandering in the song already. There are lots of strong melodic guitar ideas here - cull a few of them back until you have 3-4 riffs, then work out some variations and transitions on these riffs (try out all four of your approaches listed above, as well as anything else that comes to mind), and then think about how you can organize these pieces into a coherent whole that builds, releases and comes back with a happy ending.

But I like the song - it's got tons of potential.

Archived