"New York City Cowboy"

smaltonian

• Members

Hey, Steve

I like the rather melancholy story pretty well -- the song didn't really come alive for me until we got to the late sweetheart's picture carefully put away in the inside coat pocket... that image really made it a little more real for me.

This tune has a nice big rendering here, everything seems to be in place. Which is good, 'cause it sounds like you've put a lot of work getting it to where it is. It'd be a shame to hear someone say, "Gosh, I really like this, but it'd be better if you just..." and then suggest something where you'd have to tear it all down and start over. Anyhow, happily, I can say it sounds like it's ready to roll out the factory door.

Nice work!

:)

PS... your Soundclick page is mighty hard to read, there, podner! ;)

• Members

Boy, this really sounds great! With the nifty string-y sounds and backup vocals and everything, man oh man. I don't think I've ever recorded anything this "ready to go" sounding.

OK, OK, there is one tiny thing. The first time through, I had trouble finding the 1-beat during the first part of the song, before the drums come in. I kept losing the sense of the rhythm. Even something as simple as hi-hat hits on 2 and 4 would have kept me on track. It's probably just me, and I "got" it OK the second time through, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Super job!

-CAG

• Members

BLUE2BLUE

Hey thanks alot for the time....You are the first to comment on that line....It was a line I agonized over to get right for awhile....thanks for noticing

Steve Altonian

Yeah... for me the song revolved around it. It answered natural questions: why is the cowboy in NYC; why does he seem emotionally lost... it's the poignant answer at the core, for me.

• Members

Boy, this really sounds great! With the nifty string-y sounds and backup vocals and everything, man oh man. I don't think I've ever recorded anything this "ready to go" sounding.

OK, OK, there is one
tiny
thing. The first time through, I had trouble finding the 1-beat during the first part of the song, before the drums come in. I kept losing the sense of the rhythm. Even something as simple as hi-hat hits on 2 and 4 would have kept me on track. It's probably just me, and I "got" it OK the second time through, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Super job!

-CAG

CAG--

I know....... if I didn't write the tune I wouldn't of known where to come in and sing.........LOL......But my producer kept to the way I wrote the tune and kept that hole there....I did it on the guitar/vocal I sent him and was concerned he would "fudge" on it.....But he nailed it

Thanks for listening

Steve Altonian

http://www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian

• Members

I don't listen to much country music but as far as I know this is just as good as any pop song out there. I'm with b2b on this one and I really liked that second verse (after the first chorus). The music sounds great and your vocal delivery is pretty damn good.

• Members

EAGLE

Thanks for the time and taking a listen..........

Actually I wrote this song on the cheapest guitar in the world...A beat-up, chipped up classical nylon guitar with steel strings on it....Tuned low in a key never heard of before or since....Oh and I had a devastating cold when I started TO WRITE THE TUNE.....it was so low at the time but was perfect for me....IT WAS ALL TIMING

The man who loaned me the guitars name was "EAGLE"

Thank You Eagle wherever you are these days

Steve Altonian

www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian

• Members

DAMN!!!!that was beautiful.I'm totally not a country fan,but that song just touched me in so many ways.Awesome production orcgestration,lyricism and song structure. Your vocal chops and writing skills are flawless.It sounds like your on your way to good things!

• Members

i heard a little prod issue in the intro. it's SO small, that it's not a huge problem, but easily enough fixed if you're using software instruments (which it REALLY sounds like). that's why i mention it. (specifically, it's the string pad at around :10 that comes right after the little piano trill. it feels a touch early....everything in that intro is laid back, but that's right ON the beat....it needs to lay back, too. it's jagged as is.)

this is easily a good demo for a tune that could garner some market attention in country. it's pointed, well-written and sung nicely. (i should say that it's rather boring, but except for john hiatt and a bit of lyle lovett (sp?), i find pretty much ALL country boring...you really SHOULD disregard that comment. i only put it out there because it seems you have the talent to make something more interesting in the country genre)

i think you should go ahead and record this for master.

• Members

DAMN!!!!that was beautiful.I'm totally not a country fan,but that song just touched me in so many ways.Awesome production orcgestration,lyricism and song structure. Your vocal chops and writing skills are flawless.It sounds like your on your way to good things!

NATHAN

I really do appreciate all the comments you made........It's good to know it touched you....

havea great day

Steve Altonian

www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian

• Members

i heard a little prod issue in the intro. it's SO small, that it's not a huge problem, but easily enough fixed if you're using software instruments (which it REALLY sounds like). that's why i mention it. (specifically, it's the string pad at around :10 that comes right after the little piano trill. it feels a touch early....everything in that intro is laid back, but that's right ON the beat....it needs to lay back, too. it's jagged as is.)

this is easily a good demo for a tune that could garner some market attention in country. it's pointed, well-written and sung nicely. (i should say that it's rather boring, but except for john hiatt and a bit of lyle lovett (sp?), i find pretty much ALL country boring...you really SHOULD disregard that comment. i only put it out there because it seems you have the talent to make something more interesting in the country genre)

i think you should go ahead and record this for master.

QUALITYCAKES

Thanks for the honest and in-depth review.........And I appreciate the encouragement to push the envelope in the country genre....

Thanks

Steve Altonian

http://www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian

Archived