Freeware recording program

cjlinus

• Members

I thought I saw a thread here about freeware recording software. I can't seem to find it now though. Anyone know?
:confused:

Looks like we need a section on free/shareware software in the Resources sticky thread. ;)

Calling wwwjd! You busy? :D;):D

BTW... it's not free -- although there's a free evaluation demo with no restrictions -- but it's quite reasonable for commercial use and really cheap for non-commercial use: Reaper. Reaper is the product of what was, until not that long ago, a one man software company. And as all of us software dev types know -- the smaller the team, the faster the turnaround on improvements, fixes and changes. There have been reports of feature requests being honored the same day by Reaper's developer. It's truly an impressive effort with a lot of devotees.

• Members

{censored} that Krystal thing sucks. You can't even hear anything on playback....you push play and no sound comes out...what else is there out there?? I tried audacity, but it doesn't even have any reverb. WTF? I mean, how {censored}ty can you be???

• Members

I too had a frustrating experience with Kristal. There are some major compatibility and usability issues with it. Audacity is a nice concept, but I think it has a ways to go before it replaces anything commercial.

I ended up shelling out the hundred bucks for Sonar Home Studio, and I've been quite happy with it. I have not tried Reaper.

• Members

I don't have a list of free software. I could compile a SHORT one with Krystal, Reaper, Cantible and the like. Isn't there a software section in the RESOURCE GUIDE?

I thought so, too... but that loser mod doesn't have one.

Oh, wait... I'm the loser mod.

I guess I better start one.

I was only kidding about putting it off on you, wwwjd!

Of course, it was through your exemplary and comprehensive efforts that we have such a long list of potential upload/download music distro sites and a lot of other info up there -- in fact, it was pretty much your prefab list that gave me the idea that we needed to stickify this info.

I'm figuring I'll just let this thread roll a little and harvest all the suggestions. ;)

• Members

OK I tried Kristal last night and it was not what I thought. I need something that I can record midi and transfer that to an audio file. I know that this is not really a songwriting topic but I need to figure out how to give myself more drum options and I don't want to spend any more money right now. I may just be back to using the same old loops. Thanks for the help and I'm glad the thread may proove usefull to someone else.:p

• Members

It doesn't get any better than Reaper.

For free effects go to:

Here's 775 of them.

Absolutely in agreement on both the total supremacy of Reaper (took me away from Live) and the great resource that is KVRaudio. I have about 200 effects from there. EVERYONE should nab at the very least the Classic series and the AO freeware released plugins (especially the AO Mastering Parametric EQ, it's an awesome, flexible, and powerful parametric EQ that gives you a graphical representation of the frequency response curve which can really help you get an idea of what you're doing to the sound, even if you've never used a parametric EQ before). Anyone who plans on doing VST stuff with guitar should get the G-Guitar series of plugins (G-Gate, G-RevDly, etc., etc.)

Reaper is "free" in that it continues to function entirely feature-unlimited even beyond its trial period, but it costs $50 for a personal license and $250 for a commercial license. Well worth the money (less than any other serious DAW, and this competes with the best of them in my opinion). The personal license does not restrict you from producing your own stuff, for profit, as much as you want - it only restricts you from working with others' material, which is granted with the Commercial license.

The included plugins with REAPER's full install are generally great, too, by the way.

• Members

I think N-Track had a free version at one time. If it's not free anymore, it's probably cheap (under $100). Try googling "N-Track free version".

Best, John:cool:

I'm pretty sure there's not a free version anymore, but a license (which allows for both commercial and non-commercial use) is around $65. I have a license, but haven't used it much. From what I've seen it works well and is reasonably easy to use as long as you're familiar with recording concepts.

I don't do a whole lot of actual recording, so I tend to use Cool Edit 2000 and its 4-track plug-in. Unfortunately the developer, Syntrillium, is no more and Adobe didn't really keep CE2k around in any recognizable form. As far as I know, Audacity is currently the closest replacement.

Archived