Peavey Bandit 112 "red stripe"...nice!

nibsborg

• Members

A good friend of mine had some 1X12 red stripe combo a while back (Studio Pro or something like that)

It sounded alright at sitting around picking levels, but it sounded nasty and harsh when cranked to a band volume. Which it barely got to.

I replaced the amplifier chip it in twice in 3 years.

• Members

how good is the Supreme head? Is it like the Bandit in a head format??

Yes I mentioned it in post #10. The T-dynamics knob seemed to add tube like push-pull kind of vibe which made it sound better than most tube hybrids and the Supreme is 100% solid state.

I'll have to find a used Supreme or Supreme XL (if they are as good as the earlier version Supreme) or one of the new Bandits (if they still sound like the previous generation Supreme).

• Members

I own a silver stripe bandit, and I've extensively played a red stripe bandit. The red stripe has a lot more gain on tap and sounds much tighter and more modern. The silver has more of a fuzz tone to it, pretty loose sounding, not as good for my tastes but it would be great for stoner rock or even sludge with the gain dimed. It has a slight edge in the clean department IMO, a bit warmer and better reverb. For me, the red stripe is better (haven't bothered trying to exchange it, but anyway). Both are worth more than they cost though, easily.

:wave:

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I see the tide is turning re Solid State amps. More and more people are talking about them with positivity. And a friend who owns our biggest Muso Shop said he’s starting to sell many more. Just wait til they here about early Peavey/ Yamaha (my personal SS fave, Bandit close 2nd.) Prices will go through the roof! In fact the Bandits normally could be had for £40/£60 but now you’re looking at least £80! ‘Hold em, know when to fold em!’ 😉

• Members

• [img2=JSON]{"alt":"Roots13","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/forum\/guitar\/acapella-28\/core\/images\/default\/default_avatar_thumb.png"}[/img2]
    #11.1
    Roots13 commented
    03-25-2018, 01:48 PM
    I see the tide is turning re Solid State amps. More and more people are talking about them with positivity. And a friend who owns our biggest Muso Shop said he’s starting to sell many more. Just wait til they here about early Peavey/ Yamaha (my personal SS fave, Bandit close 2nd.) Prices will go through the roof! In fact the Bandits normally could be had for £40/£60 but now you’re looking at least £80! ‘Hold em, know when to fold em!’ 😉
  • sorry. Not sure how I double posted.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Wow, 2 years later, lol. I recently picked up a Peavey red stripe USA made transtube Bandit in a pawn shop in fantastic condition. I am absolutely amazed at the sounds I'm getting. In fact it will be replacing my Fender DRRI from now on. The amp is rock solid, built like a tank. To me it sounds best when leaned back via tilt back legs. It's a bit heavy, but not overly so. I play jazz and blues, and it is perfect for those genres. 

Archived