Peavey Bandit 112 "red stripe"...nice!

nibsborg

• Members

Played one of these at a local shop the other day. I usually go there just to check out trade in gear. This amp has been sitting there for about a year so I decided to try it out with an older G&L Asat Classic.

This amp has many features, separate EQ's for clean and lead, vintage and modern switches on both, a presence control that actually does something and this T-Dynamics knob that I think acts like an attenuator...and the reverb is pretty damn good too.

This is probably....no...IS the best SS amp that I have ever had the joy to fart aroud with, save the JC120. My wife even liked it!:thu:

Great clean thru almost death metal but I like blues. Great blues tones, nice harmonics and controllable feedback. Nice surf tone too, Walk Dont Run...I wish I could have spent a few hours exploring but she was getting antsy.......

Anyway, I really like this amp as a back up or a real gig amp on a budget.

What do ya'all think about this one?

• Members

i had an earlier transtube bandit-- pre 'red' stripe.. but i felt exactly the same way. i seriously think people believe i've been smoking crack when i recommend 'em for beginner amps... but i know better... they really are fantastic little sleepers, and they record well too. i used mine for a show when my mesa went in the shop, and it worked pretty admirably.. what practice amp can you say THAT about?

• Members

You're probably not going to get much traction on this one, since there is a definite high-end tube amp bias (no pun intended) around here. But for the record, the new Bandits are nice little amps. They're pretty damn hard to beat for the price. I'm pretty impressed with the TransTube whatchamacallit, and the Power Sponge works very naturally as an attenuator. I'd like to have one as a practice amp.

• Members

Ive played a couple Bandits and i thought they were pretty good, just make sure u dial em in so they dont get 2 "fizzy" :thu:

The one i played was a older model as well, i dont know which one it was but i do know it was a older model

There seems to be at least 4-5 different Peavey bandits, (different speakers, Scorpio, Marvel, etc) ---- between the older models and newer models im lost when i look at 1 lol :lol: -- The older model i played was pretty good though, not bad amp.. :cool:

Perhaps someone can chime in on the models themselves..

:wave:

• Members

I own a silver stripe bandit, and I've extensively played a red stripe bandit. The red stripe has a lot more gain on tap and sounds much tighter and more modern. The silver has more of a fuzz tone to it, pretty loose sounding, not as good for my tastes but it would be great for stoner rock or even sludge with the gain dimed. It has a slight edge in the clean department IMO, a bit warmer and better reverb. For me, the red stripe is better (haven't bothered trying to exchange it, but anyway). Both are worth more than they cost though, easily.

• Members

I really liked the Peavey Supreme head (which was really a Peavey Bandit in a head). I always meant to buy one but the local place wanted more than double for a used Supreme what I could get one for on Ebay and this was back some years ago. I will have to pick one up once I find one cheap. One of the few amps that pulled off a nice jazz tone as well as the heavier stuff.

• Members

Played one of these at a local shop the other day. I usually go there just to check out trade in gear. This amp has been sitting there for about a year so I decided to try it out with an older G&L Asat Classic.

This amp has many features, separate EQ's for clean and lead, vintage and modern switches on both, a presence control that actually does something and this T-Dynamics knob that I think acts like an attenuator...and the reverb is pretty damn good too.

This is probably....no...IS the best SS amp that I have ever had the joy to fart aroud with, save the JC120. My wife even liked it!
:thu:

Great clean thru almost death metal but I like blues. Great blues tones, nice harmonics and controllable feedback. Nice surf tone too, Walk Dont Run...I wish I could have spent a few hours exploring but she was getting antsy.......

Anyway, I really like this amp as a back up or a real gig amp on a budget.

What do ya'all think about this one?

Hearing my Les Paul > T-100C get stomped by an Epi Sheraton and 75 watt Bandit opened my eyes to the tonal suckage that is scooped mids. Great little amps with a very distinctive voice.

One time a guy posted a clip on here without naming the amp, said we'd all be surprised in the end by what it was, and in the 3rd or 4th post of the thread I guessed Bandit on my first try, based on how good the clip sounded. Yeap, I got nothing but love for them, and many other unsung Peavy amps, like the Butcher, Mace, and Ultra models. I just don't dig the 5150 or Transtube models.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize you were talking about one of the Transtube models. My buddy had the 2x12 100 watter, and it just didn't sound very good. We tried tweaking the hell out of it, but could not get really sweet crunch tones or high gain tones out of it. The cleans were nice, but that was all. So he took it back, and swapped it for a 5150 combo, which just reinforced my impression that I do not like 5150s.

• Members

That old Peavey stuff is great.

I have an old Peavey KB300 keyboard amp sitting in the garage which I actually use as a portable PA by plugging a mixing desk into the input. It needs a couple of new pots, but other than that it's as good as the day it was bought.

Build quality is excellent too. You don't see very much stuff around nowadays thats as solid as that amp, and it's USA made too.

• Members

That old Peavey stuff is great.

I have an old Peavey KB300 keyboard amp sitting in the garage which I actually use as a portable PA by plugging a mixing desk into the input. It needs a couple of new pots, but other than that it's as good as the day it was bought.

Build quality is excellent too. You don't see very much stuff around nowadays thats as solid as that amp, and it's USA made too.

Yeah, seriously i have a bass amp from the 80's (tnt 150) that has fallen off the backs of trucks and down stairs and is still working ALMOST brand new.

the cord got frayed in an accident : ( but aside from that IT'S GOOD.

• Members

Yeah, seriously i have a bass amp from the 80's (tnt 150) that has fallen off the backs of trucks and down stairs and is still working ALMOST brand new.

the cord got frayed in an accident : ( but aside from that IT'S GOOD.

Hah. I have a TNT150 too. Yeah it's pretty much a tank. :cool:

• Members

Hah. I have a TNT150 too. Yeah it's pretty much a tank.
:cool:

it's AWESOME, right?

all the different knobbies and the eq, THE EQ!

when i was a kid I could play forever just moving knobs around.

and now I'm not a kid anymore.. and I still use the amp for live performances.

• Members

I have a TNT 130 from back then that I have scavenged the Black Widow out of for various cabinet applications. Every once in a while, I stick it back in the TNT and fire it up. Sounds great, as always.

that's the guitar amp, right?

Why couldn't they put the black widow in the 5150 combos/cabs instead of those {censored}ing terrible sheffields.

• Members

it's AWESOME, right?

all the different knobbies and the eq, THE EQ!

when i was a kid I could play forever just moving knobs around.

and now I'm not a kid anymore.. and I still use the amp for live performances.

Yeah, the EQ is fun. It's a great amp, especially considering how cheap they are. I think I got mine for like $250 shipped or something, and I bet I could have gotten it cheaper.

• Members

No, it's a bass combo. Built like a tank (heavy as one, too.)

I love reading the product testimonials on the Peavey page:

"Had to write and tell Peavey how well built your equipment is. My name is Neil Gordon. Last Friday I left the club I was playing at 2 A.M. and I neglected to properly latch the tailgate on my Dodge Dakota 4x4. As I was driving, the Peavey Bandit I borrowed from my 16 year old son fell out

Archived