Argh, verses.

• Members

I always get a good intro riff going, but it'd be kind of lame to just play the whole riff over and over. I'd like to get an intro riff, then head into a verse. I just can't do that. I don't know where to go. And don't get me start on a pre-chorus quick lick/riff.

I can get down a chorus, solo, and intro/basic riff, but these verses are killing me.

• Members

I have trouble coming up with verses sometimes as well. If something doesn't come naturally, I'll take the chord progression from the intro and swap one of the chords out for something else. At the very least, it's different enough from the intro to get by, and who knows...maybe it'll lead to something else.

• Members

I'm guessing we're talking about the music in verses. (Sometime we should talk about coming up with the lyrics for that elusive third verse I'm always having to beat on myself to write.)

One problem I've had on and off is coming up with a killer chorus (OK... a halfway-OK-seeming chorus) and then being stumped at how to work 'backwards' to the verse.

My brain works fine when looking for choruses from an established verse... I usually have a pretty good intuition about where to go to raise the level/intensity...

... but working backwards to the verse... that's tougher for me.

I guess a lot of what happens is that, like a lot of folks, I tend to modulate within the key up or down to the chorus (I'm not one to talk intelligently about modes... I think Angelo knows the names of all of them but I work intuitively, so there's not figuring things out intellectualy for me. It's intuition, trial, and error.

One of the few things I do know by intellect as well as experience is that you can often go to the minor 6th modality from a major key chorus (chorus in G, verse in Em, say)... but then, if you don't approach that with some kind of sensitivity, it can seem pat/hack, tired.

• Members

I decided to do that in a song that I coincidentally just posted, and I think I got away with it... :)

I tend to have the same problems blue2blue just mentioned, except that I usually just omit the dang third verse unless it's a breakdown or half-verse or something, so at least I don't have to worry about that. But the "great chorus, now what" problem is quite familiar.

• Members

I always get a good intro riff going, but it'd be kind of lame to just play the whole riff over and over. I'd like to get an intro riff, then head into a verse. I just can't do that. I don't know where to go. And don't get me start on a pre-chorus quick lick/riff.

I can get down a chorus, solo, and intro/basic riff, but these verses are killing me.

Just do like the rock guys do. Play the same riff part for the verse twice, and then have the vocals come in. There's got to be a zillion rock songs like this. Some that immediately come to mind: Satisfaction, You Really Got Me, and anything by AC/DC and a lot by Living Color.

Archived