Fear ye not! (Writer's block content)

Mark L

• Members

I've had writer's block for quite some time now. But I've just been watching a documentary about Paul Weller, and...

.....he says......

....that he's old enough and wise enough to realise that every now and again he just doesn't feel the need, or have the urge, to write. Or he's run out of inspiration. It could last a few weeks, a few months or a few years. And it doesn't bother him, because he knows from experience that his muse will return

So take heart, fellow songwriters :)

• Members

I've had writer's block for quite some time now. But I've just been watching a documentary about Paul Weller, and...

.....he says......

....that he's old enough and wise enough to realise that every now and again he just doesn't feel the need, or have the urge, to write. Or he's run out of inspiration. It could last a few weeks, a few months or a few years. And it doesn't bother him, because he knows from experience that his muse
will
return

So take heart, fellow songwriters
:)

I too have the urge to write and write and sing and play what i write and when I feel as if I'm blocked( almost never) then I just learn some new music.

Three or four songs or sometimes even ten learned (note for note)songs later, then i've refilled my well from which to draw.

I very seldom get writers block because i'm constantly learning new stuff.

new styles, new lyrics, new chord progressions. more chords, better grasp of theory.

you're never too old to learn. :poke:

• Members

"that he's old enough and wise enough to realise that every now and again he just doesn't feel the need, or have the urge, to write"

That just about sums it up. Sometimes, just like every other activity (including sex), we just ain't in the mood.

Best, John Piano%20Smiley.gif

• Members

Jeremy dePrisco posed this question to me and to other friends of his. We all talked about creativity and the well running dry. I have never thought about writer's block being self-imposed, as in willfully imposed, but, circumstances are really such that those conditions can be prevented. The busier you are, the more likely that motivating factors can be removed and you will exhaust the ideas or energy needed to write.

I am not a prolific songwriter, but, I write a song start-to-finish in about five minutes, typically. My mother was the same way. When I am in the mood, I can write a bunch of songs, but then, life gets busy again and I am working on articles or a new book and the music gets pushed to the side.

• Members

My creativity comes in waves. I may write 2 or 3 songs w/in a couple of days then go several months w/out the pencil ever touching the paper.

The main thing is, I never worry about it. I guess I have accepted the fact that I excercise no real control over my muse.

When I am in a dry spell I try to listen to as much music as I can and read (novels & poetry) as much as I can. Its kinda like refueling.

Archived