Good or bad: Natasha Bedingfield - Love Like This

amplayer

• Members

I'm of the opinion that this tune is just dead awful. However, many people seem to love it. What's wrong with me?

To me, a song that has only 2 chords, no form, no breaks, no change in anything at all except for the vocals can not be good.

What do you all think?

• Members

Seems to me it depends on the song. I've heard some pretty cool jams. One of my old bands had a song that was just Am / Bbm all the way through. It started really really quiet (our ex-heavy metal drummer even broke out the brushes), got louder and louder very predictably, finally busted out in a rush of lyrics, and then did a live fade down. On paper it should have been boring as hell. But it was one of our favorite songs for quite a while.

I'm listening to that Natasha Bedingfield song now.

The Autotune makes me want to rip my ears off my head and chop them up in little pieces so they'll never have to hear anything like this again.

Autotune like this is one of the most singularly unpleasant effects I've heard in 5 decades of pop music listening.

At least they're not trying to fool anyone.

A couple days ago I discovered an Austin based singer-songwriter I hadn't really been exposed to, Slaid Cleaves. And I really like a lot of his songs. But more than a couple of his tracks have some pretty egregious Autotune-type vocal correction. It's really peculiar, because it's nice, simple rootsy music. And the AT wrenchmarks really show in places. I mean, it's not done for effect -- it's a hundred times more subtle than the R&B pop song above. What I really don't get is how they ever let it out the door. Because it's so obvious in places.

Mind you, I have no problems with using Autotune or other vocal correction software. I've used it myself. But if you're not using for an effect like the pop tune from Natasha Bedingfield and it's obvious, anyway -- it's time to re-evaluate your project or your expectations, seems to me. Me, I'd rather hear some poor sod who can barely hit the notes than hear the warbly, fluty, just plain weird harmonic ickiness that goes on when Autotune (and the others) are misused.

• Members

I'm of the opinion that this tune is just dead awful. However, many people seem to love it. What's wrong with me?

To me, a song that has only 2 chords, no form, no breaks, no change in anything at all except for the vocals can not be good.

What do you all think?

Do you have a link? I've never heard of it or of her. Sorry.

• Members

Do you have a link? I've never heard of it or of her. Sorry.

There are a few videos on YouTube of different versions of her doing this song -- including an acousitic-guitar backed live version that proves she actually can sing OK, though you'd never know it from the mix used in this user-submitted lyric/music vid mashup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoTApewyBE

[This is the mix I heard on my subscription service. I have to say that the mono-izing the vid goes through on YT does not do it much justice -- but at least the low-fi mono seems to make the obnoxiousness of the vocal AT treatment a little less in your face.]

• Members

I don't particularly care for this song one way or the other. It's boring. But I've heard songs that change very little without being boring. It's a matter of creating an interesting mood of some sort.

• Members

I don't particularly care for this song one way or the other. It's boring. But I've heard songs that change very little without being boring. It's a matter of creating an interesting mood of some sort.

+1

some people can pull off repetetive songs by making the thing they repeat actually interesting.

I'm not gonna check the link though because I've heard her song on TV "i wanna have your babies" uggghgh.

Archived