I want to start DJing

NeonMarmot

• Members
Haha, yeah but who buys new vinyl? Not only that, but by the time you buy the album version, radio version, instrumental, acapella, and remix that comes on most 12"s you've already spent over $8 (assuming Beatport or the other online stores even have all the extras you get on a 12").

All that extra stuff on 12"s (extended versions, bonus beats, instrumentals, etc.) is valuable if you actually do more than just play songs.

One of the things that actually makes DJs unique is their catalogue, that's built up over a looong period of time. You have to craft a library. Downloading 1000 mp3s isn't going to get you there. Not only that, but you'll have the same {censored} every other wack DJ has. If you go back more than 5 years you'll figure out that there's a large body of music that never made it to mp3. Without the 12"s you're at a severe disadvantage as far as track selection.

I buy new vinyl, but I particularly go after gems that keep the underground alive. (Not much of that mainstream stuff) I have several new vinyl tracks that never made it to mp3.

A catalogue of great music is invaluable to showcasing up and coming artists and to folks that also produce like myself.

Thanks for the above comments by the way. :thu:

• Members

Haha, yeah but who buys new vinyl? Not only that, but by the time you buy the album version, radio version, instrumental, acapella, and remix that comes on most 12"s you've already spent over $8 (assuming Beatport or the other online stores even have all the extras you get on a 12").

All that extra stuff on 12"s (extended versions, bonus beats, instrumentals, etc.) is valuable if you actually do more than just play songs.

One of the things that actually makes DJs unique is their catalogue, that's built up over a looong period of time. You have to craft a library. Downloading 1000 mp3s isn't going to get you there. Not only that, but you'll have the same {censored} every other wack DJ has. If you go back more than 5 years you'll figure out that there's a large body of music that never made it to mp3. Without the 12"s you're at a severe disadvantage as far as track selection.

This is true maybe for purely electronic music, but I also spin a lot of international music, and I've never seen those new releases on vinyl. Downloading 1000 MP3s will get you there if you're downloading unique stuff from obscure places--obviously getting the charts on Beatport or whats latest on the Hype Machine won't.

• Members

Anyway, the bottomline is do both if that appeals to you. I strongly recommend having real vinyl in your collection though. You won't regret it.

I don't mix at all anymore so for me the pressure to stay up with what's hot is basically moot. I like obscure sounds that people can't necessarily identify but enjoy the way I kut them up.

• Members
Hello everyone, I am interested in DJing.

How can I get started?

I am just a kid, so I would like to keep the budget as low as possible,

I don't know what other information you need, so just let me know if I need to supply more background as to what I want to do with my DJing etc..

Neon,

After 14 years of DJ'ing and turntablism, I can offer you this advice: Just try it. Ultimately, write down /save in a word file, all of your ideas. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

(you like newer Electronica stuff, so try to find some older Electro, that might be a good place for you..or go to a used record store, and dig around the dollar bin, and see what else you can find..you might surprise yourself and discover a new Genre)

I know you are on a budget, so see what kind of free software is available on the internet. Or if you wanna be adventurous, see if you can use a turntable.. If your uncomfortable with Vinyl, try Serato at your local Guitar Center..if that doesn't work for you, an MP3/laptop system may be the way to go.

***In the end...it's about what works best for YOU, and YOUR situation..(and that's coming from a guy who ONLY spins vinyl) **

If you DO decide you like the turntable route, and want to get serious about this, check youtube...there are LOADS of videos that show you basics..If not, DJ SHORTEE and GM Roc Raida (RIP) have a couple of great instructional DVD's on basic turntable setup...(yes they spin/spun hip-hop, but the basic setup and knowlede of a turntable is universal for ALL types of music.)

I think Z-Trip has a segment somewhere out there on basic beat matching.

Q-Bert has a few DVD's as well, the segments feature basic turntable maintenance, and can show you basic to advanced scratch techniques as well. I'm sure there are other beat matching videos out there. I just dont know of any off hand. Sorry. :(

Try to learn as MUCH AS YOU CAN. period. Whether its beat matching, the names of different Genres of music, the COMPLETE discogrophy of the producer who made your favorite album, scratching, hand speed, etc.

If you can count to 4 then you can learn how to drop a beat.

***Here's a good listening exersize to start practicing without spending a DOLLAR:***

Pick 10-20 songs that you know and love. Songs that you know because you've listend to them OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Play one and listen to where the main portion of the drums begin in the song. Try counting in your head or out loud: "1,2,3,4....1,2,3,4" along with the tempo of the drums in whatever song you are listing to. (sounds corny and very Kindergarden-ish, i know..but trust me..it's VITAL. )

Each song is different. Some are faster than others...Just practice counting along with the tempo of the drum. If you can learn the tempo of each song, and where the drums begin, then you can learn how to DJ.

The business side and marketing yourself comes much later.

Above all: Enjoy the music that YOU play. And have FUN!!!

Good luck man... :thu:

Peace.
-DJ Doc Nu

PS
"NEON MARMOT" is a great DJ name.. ;)

• Members

I completely agree with DJ Doc Nu. Everything he said is gold.

Also I haven't seen any DJs in clubs/bars in Chicago use vinyl for the past two years. Not siding one way or another, just stating my observations. Plus I thought production of vinyl was going to stop in 2012 (in the US) because of concerns about the environment and toxins released when destroying vinyl? Not completely sure on that though.

As for starting, you SHOULD learn to beat match (transition two songs) and not rely on a program to do it for you. To supplement the advice that's already been given, here is a good way to practice: Get a song, queue it up on both turntables (whether digital or physical) and try and keep that song playing for a while (say 20 minutes). Transition back and forth between deck A and deck B. The goal is to eventually not be able to hear the end/beginning of the song. If you cannot identify that, you're doing it right!

One last tip, record everything you do.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I am just a kid, so I would like to keep the budget as low as possible,

I don't know what other information you need, so just let me know if I need to supply more background as to what I want to do with my DJing etc..

Being a Vinyl player myself I have noticed a drastic change in the club scene as with obtaining music on vinyl it's very fustrating to get anything new on vinyl where nearly everything is on MP3 format from download sites ..

And with the MP3' site I have seen first hand the demise of distributers and record labels and shops ...

Nowadays most Dj's use Abelton live , serato , final stratch laptop based programme and CDJ's Pioneer mainly ...

But being a hardcore Vinyl player I would rather spend my money going to events seein a Dj use Vinyl sadly it's very rare .. whereby all the Big commercial names all use CD's ...

But getting started as a Dj depending on what your wanting to play .. be wary of promoters that will get you to play without paying you because your so excited at gettin your first gig a so called set for 15 mins longer if your lucky and which all your mates are down watching you .. Simply because the promoter job is to make money and in the club it's the people behind the bar and your mates ....

Anyways sorry for rambling on... what is your budget ???

If your really looking to buy dexs most will say don't bother better off with a set of Pioneer CDJ's

• Members

I would suggest the following. and I'm going to catch flack for some of this..

get USED CD turntables. Used, you could probably get a pair of older ones for 600$. New they're about 500$ a piece so.. yeah.

I say cd instead of vinyl simply because you can burn whatever you want, and its cheaper to get into than vinyl. that way, if you don't end up enjoying it as much, you haven't spent as much. Pioneer CDJ's are great, look them up. Eventually though, if you get into it and expand your budget, I'd recommend switching to vinyl. and absolutely DO NOT get one of those all in one 2 cd player or 2 ipod unit things. Cheap crap.

get a cheap mixer, you don't need something fancy to learn

Get a sampler, or drum machine. the great myth surrounding some of those artists you mentioned is that they just use turntables and mixers, which is not true. Drum machines and Samplers create a large portion of the beat.

I'd say go strictly software, but beatmatching is physical, and you should learn to do it. if you don't know what that means wikipedia it.

Archived