The Art Of Writing Bad Lyrics

Stackabones

• Members

Interesting article over at Guardian UK.

The art of writing good lyrics may be beyond our understanding, but the art of writing really bad lyrics is a straightforward business. Indeed, how not to write a lyric can be explained by eight simple rules.

Debatable, yes. Humorous, perhaps. The only list of its kind, no.

:thu:

• Members

don't write your lyrics apart from your melody or retrofit old lyrics into songs where they don't fit. The syllable count should have some harmony with the rhythm of the melody.

I don't think making sense is all that important and can point to hundreds of hits songs that prove this. it just has to roll off the tongue well and sound cool.

• Members

finally, a topic I'm comfortable with!!

creating bad lyrics is an art form on par with creating great ones. and the two are often done by the same people! let's face it, not everything cole porter ever wrote was golden, and the same thing goes for (insert your favorite lyricist here)!

when contemplating epic bad-ness in lyrics, jim morrison naturally comes to mind. 'his brain is squirming like a toad' indeed. by my count, that line alone violates three of the "don't's" in the the OP's bullet list.

• Moderators

I don't think making sense is all that important and can point to hundreds of hits songs that prove this. it just has to roll off the tongue well and sound cool.

Here's how I feel about it: it doesn't have to make sense to you, but the listener should be left with the impression that you're talking about something even if if you are being cryptic.

But when it obvious you're just making up random {censored}, I do think that's often bad.

Archived