newest tune

DR Foster

• Members

Welcome to the Songwriting Forum.

The basic mission of the forum is the discussion of the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on works on new songs and other works in progress. Of course, giving thoughtful comment requires some time and energy.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you.

And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

Welcome!

• Members

Cool! It's only as good as we members make it.

I got a chance to sit down with "Drawing Blood." Some pretty interesting chord changes. I wondered if the song might not have a stronger identity with some sort of signature motif woven in. There's a bit of that but, for much of the song, it seems like there's a long, somewhat relentless stream of rhythmically repetitive phrases coming at you.

A guitarist I respected once said, guitar playing isn't like singing -- you can just keep playing, throwing 8th and 16th notes at them for the duration of the song, you don't have to stop even to take a breath... but that doesn't necessarily mean you should...

He went on to say that he liked to approach his guitar like singing... giving up with a phrase -- a musically meaningful phrase with rhythmic variety, rests and notes of varying length and attack and duration -- and then give the listener a little bit of time to feel it.

I liked a lot of what I heard in "Drawing Blood" -- but the memory of the song that I come away with is sort of this long string of fluttering guitar notes. (Quite precisely played, to be sure. ;) )

I wonder if, in this case, a little less -- and a little simpler -- at least in key sections, might not be more?

Anyhow, some fine work from many angles!

:)

• Members

Cool! It's only as good as we members make it.

I got a chance to sit down with "Drawing Blood." Some pretty interesting chord changes. I wondered if the song might not have a stronger identity with some sort of signature motif woven in. There's a bit of that but, for much of the song, it seems like there's a long, somewhat relentless stream of rhythmically repetitive phrases coming at you.

A guitarist I respected once said, guitar playing isn't like singing -- you
can
just keep playing, throwing 8th and 16th notes at them for the duration of the song, you don't have to stop even to take a breath... but that doesn't necessarily mean
you should

He went on to say that he liked to approach his guitar like singing... giving up with a phrase -- a musically meaningful phrase with rhythmic variety, rests and notes of varying length and attack and duration -- and
then
give the listener a little bit of time to
feel it

I liked a lot of what I heard in "Drawing Blood" -- but the
memory
of the song that I come away with is sort of this long string of fluttering guitar notes. (Quite precisely played, to be sure.
;)
)

I wonder if, in this case, a little
less
-- and a little
simpler
-- at least in key sections, might not be
more
?

Anyhow, some fine work from many angles
!

:)

thank you for taking the time to review my work.indeed my intent was to play over the rhythm trax like a singer.theres even a couple spots where a lick has been repeated to give a sort of continuous feel.like a singer might repeat a lyric but i tried to not have it feel like an actual whole verse was repeated.

the link was repeated intentionally to give that common thread or hook thruout the tune.along with the chorus.something catchy to grab onto.

the bridge was meant to be drony but w/several rhytms goin on at the same time to keep a listener interested and something to latch onto after repeated listens.

i'm glad ya found something in there that caught your attention.

thank you much

• Members

I liked it a lot..

are you programming your own backing or do you borrow it, or how and why do you use what you do for a backing?

thanks for showing interest.i recorded it all on logic pro 8.guitar and bass parts are of course my original composition.

the drums are from the loop library within the software that i just programmed

i just put my studio together in may.there should be a pic in the show your studio thread.this is my first tune i recorded with it.a rough demo.

hope this helps.feel free toask any other questions.

thanks again

• Members

There is definately some decent guitar playing going on for sure. The verse seems to lack a main theme or idea---in your changes it all makes sense but during your main verses it just seems like a jam.I would add maybe another instrument or perhaps a guitar of a different sound to give a sense of change throughout the song. Good piece with a lot of potential for sure and excellent guitarin'!

• Members

There is definately some decent guitar playing going on for sure. The verse seems to lack a main theme or idea---in your changes it all makes sense but during your main verses it just seems like a jam.I would add maybe another instrument or perhaps a guitar of a different sound to give a sense of change throughout the song. Good piece with a lot of potential for sure and excellent guitarin'!

thanks for taking the time to listen to my work.i agree with ya on adding another instrument.i'll eventually pick up a keyboard.i like samples too.not music but sound bytes from say dialogue from a movie.

• Members

FWIW, I once had a guitar instrumental that I played the solo pretty much straight through... which for me, is something of a feat. The solo was relatively decent for me -- but at something like 3'20" it felt long... I mean... 3'20" of guitar solo... I dunno. That's not me.

I posted an early version and someone said something very similar, how about busting it up with another instrument (there was an organ doing a little funky arpeggiation underneath) or at least changing up the tone.

Unwilling (I know, I know) to throw out part of a "perfectly good solo" I opted for going in and throwing different EQ filtering and reverb and echo in differing amounts to different sections. It might well have been better if I had put in an organ solo or something (a sax was also suggested and I used to have a sax player I worked with some but he moved on to bigger and better things and is now a fixture on the blues tour circuit playing stand up bass)... but -- anyhow -- the EQ and 'verb changes in different sections really made it sound like different instruments enough to break things up. Some. It's till 3'20" of guitar solo -- but at least it's varied. And -- crucially -- I didn't have to put in any more creative work. :D

• Members

I've heard a lot of instrumental guitar that just completely turns me off to the genre because it seems to me, after hearing it, that the artist is purely trying to hit as many notes as possible and not focusing on writing a good instrumental song.

I really like how melodic the lead guitar is in this song. There were a lot of hooks that caught my attention and kept me interested through the whole song, which is great cos I usually get very bored with instrumental stuff. Not to mention I think the technicality is great as well. I would love to hear this song with a live band. Sampled drums can only do so much for a song. Great job nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, just checked your bad ass well played guitar tune.

I like it!:thu:

I think on that chorus hook it might be better and more changy if you backed it up with another guitar perhaps even pan them left and right to cause a good stereo effect.

Hey do you ever play it the same twice coz thats some learning if you do.

On the bridge near the end (the plinky plonky bit) turn up and mud it up a bit to make the listener really feel the change of sound and emotion.

Like it though top playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Hey, just checked your bad ass well played guitar tune.

I like it!
:thu:

I think on that chorus hook it might be better and more changy if you backed it up with another guitar perhaps even pan them left and right to cause a good stereo effect.

Hey do you ever play it the same twice coz thats some learning if you do.

On the bridge near the end (the plinky plonky bit) turn up and mud it up a bit to make the listener really feel the change of sound and emotion.

Like it though top playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks alot.glad you enjoyed it.thats a rough demo not final mix.still learning logic pro 8.so all the polishing needs to be done yet.

but yeh,thats the song note-for-note played that way everytime.i agree with the bridge opinion.

thanks again.

• Members

Can't wait to hear future stuff! Some awesome playing there!

As noted; if you can achieve just a
little
more focus (and it wouldn't take much) you'd have some real potential there!

I like it a LOT!

:thu:

glad you enjoyed it.next tune is in the works.thanks for takin the time to listen to my stuff.

Archived