I long to please, I am on my knees

My soul longs hard after You, hard after You

Chorus hasn't been recorded yet

You are my God You are my King

You are my Lord, my everything..."

Entirely recorded with Korg Triton Pro

Vox thru MIDI Vocalist and MicroVerb 4

Recorded with Cakewalk via M-Audio Audiophile USB

This is a scratch demo only and is nowhere near completed.

The intro is way too long and there's still an uber-cheesy breath-sweep in it :facepalm: .

There will be more lyrics/vocals including a Chorus...Otherwise it did seem to capture the "feel" I was going for...

C+C appreciated.

Thanks!

• Members

I know when I run across a piece I simply can't stand (or understand) I generally just don't leave a comment.

Apparently there are 12 of you so far who feel that way about this one. :)

Oh well.

Where's that dedicated "Worship" forum again? :D

• Members

So, you don't think you can hold your own in Babylon? :D

This has a very coherent feel, a nicely consistent, rather haunting mood... but it feels like it goes on a bit too long without enough development. (I realize it's not done yet, of course. So that may address my concerns.)

Understood that the lyrics are supposed to be extremely straightforward, simple/elemental -- but that intentional artlessness puts even more weight on the music, which, moodily enticing as it is, also doesn't have much content development. It's got a great feel -- but it feels kind of frozen in amber, musically. (BTW, one thing that does help is the changing texture offered by the fine line you walk with the resonance on the square wave synth filter. It really has the edge-of-chaos feel of guitar feedback.)

Maybe this will change when you've got things more developed. It's certainly got a great, moody, haunting vibe.

One thing: the lyrics and the music seem to convey a strong sense of yearning that may be in contrast to the expectations of those who view praise music as more properly uplifting and positive.

• Members

Thanks for the comments!

...One thing: the lyrics
and the
music seem to convey a strong sense of yearning that may be in contrast to the expectations of those who view praise music as more properly uplifting and positive.

Stricktly speaking, this isn't a Praise song...Having electric guitars and a driving beat is unusual for a Worship track, as they've generally been considered more "meditative" in the past, but this (in deference to its title) is a Worship piece. :)

I hesitated posting it, because of the incomplete chorus and the long intro, but I really needed to know if the "vibe" had been conveyed...Your use of the word "yearning" confirms, mission accomplished.

The slow filter sweep at the very end will likely be incorporated into the chorus to help set it apart in a "typically Michael Blue" repetetive song.

Thanks!

• Members

I like what you've got - I just wish it were more condensed.

Cut the whole intro up to 1:00. Tighten the 1:00 to 1:30 lead in down to :05 or :10. Bring in another instrument for the response section of the verse (and not that freaking piano riff, enough is enough). The chorus at 2:45 MUST go somewhere else harmonically and melodically - I'm thinking up to the five, but it can't stay on this vamp. Again, cut the dead wood before you come back to the second verse. Yuck, that piano riff is back again, but now it's on some kind of guitar patch - I'm sick of that melody, I don't care what instrument is carrying it. I like the squelchy thing that comes up around 5:40 - take the 10 seconds of that, tack it on to the end of the second verse, and fade out.

I am also really wishing for a drum fill here or there.

• Members

I don't mind worship songs at all, and I like this one so far. I'm still in the introduction. It's unlike any worship song I've ever heard before. Ok singing now -- I'm having a little trouble hearing the words, but I do like this. Good job.

• Members

I followed one of the links to a page in what I took to be Japanese or perhaps Chinese. (I get confused by the profusion of character sets in Japanese.) I saw the word Microsoft embedded in it which made me wonder if it was purporting to be a cracked-software site... in which case it might just as easily be a trojan-distribution page or who knows.

Thanks for reporting the suspicious links, Michael. There are a lot of malware sites hosting zero-day exploits and trying to trick folks into clicking links that could download malware or trojans to their computers.

• Members

Thanks dbd! "unlike any worship song I've ever heard before"...That's what I like to hear. :)

I'm sure you looked at his other posts, but I suspect all 14 were the same...May want to have a Global Mod clean it up, if you can't get to them all.

Feel free to delete all conversation about him in this thread when you're done if you like.

Thanks!

• Members

This piece is currently being reconstructed.

It will be more concise, and there will be more vocal variation, particularly in the new chorus.

Not sure what else I'm gonna do with it...It just may be a somewhat repetitive song, just not as bad as it is now. :)

• Members

Typically, intros last 15-20 seconds. Yours lasts over a minute and is pretty repetitive. The drum pattern has a strange stutter to it that takes away the flow of the song. The melody is good, as are the lyrics. I could use a lift somewhere - a bridge of some kind. I was hoping for some more energy to come out of the singing - again a bridge or change up would help... :thu:

• Members

The repetitive angle has been covered (and it sounds like it's still scratchpad in terms of content) so not much to say there except, maybe, when looking at that pay attention to it both in lyrical content and in the music (sort of like plot/subplot - you can use one to tkae the "repetivite weight" off the other)

I can see what ido is saying abt the drum pattern. I think the basic idea is fine to keep it from having too much of a "4 on the floor" feel (I guess that can speak back to the repetitive part with the "phasing" of the drum beat adding some dynamic element), but I think it gets pushed too far so there are points of distracting anticipation of the drums

pull that concept back just a touch and I think yu can have some anticipation that both keeps interest and maybe even reflects the longing theme of the lyrics

It will be more concise, and there will be more vocal variation, particularly in the new chorus.

One idea (not sure if it'd work well or degrade miserably into velveta-like ooze)

after a couple of repitions - have another voice(maybe fem to really set it apart as a different speaker) sing that stanza

"I sing praise, unto Your Name

BUT (at least on the second voice's first trip through it ) - phrase it

"I long Too - please, I am on my knees" (probably have to lay it through inflective phrasing, so could work or could fall apart - or maybe yu can fit it in with phythmic phrasing...dunno...but I'm not sure it needs be central to the idea anyway)

so you get the sort of "I'm not alone in being alone" idea (not that, at this point the voices are joining, they are still disjoint - just shwing a common situation of isolationlonging)

Then on the chorus they join (unison or strict parallel organum, to stay cohesive. I don't think going contrapunctual would be consistent either musically or thematically, esp in the chorus) to kind of suggest union through the Lord and give some release from the tension in the verse

Given we're looking at duet - I think it would avoid the "look for the union label" anthemic nature of a larger vocal group and keep the longing and any union simple to relate to and very personal

eh, just spitballin

• Members

While I agree with the others' critique of "too repetitive" I see that as a function of there simply not being enough there; which is appropriate for this stage of development of the work). So, I am less worried about that than some - I believe it will work itself out

One thing I would like to hear is stronger development and motion in the music itself as the song continues instead of being a relatively static body supprting the lyrics. Perhaps a richer baseline.

This can be accomplished even while maintaining an introspective feel, much Hindustani (North Indian Classical) music is good at this and could be instructive

As to the drum track. I can see what others are saying, though I'm less sensitive to it. Having siad that, I do agree that the rotating "gap" in the phrasing could be reigned in in your intent wasn't to create such a strong 'uneven' feel

I know when I run across a piece I simply can't stand (or understand) I generally just don't leave a comment.

Apparently there are 12 of you so far who feel that way about this one.

Where's that dedicated "Worship" forum again? :D

I don't believe it has to follow that some views without comment (especially in the wee hours) has to indicate disinterest because of religious subject matter. There doesnt even have to be disinterest some may wish to "chew on" the work , others may find not enough to comment on at this stage of development, others may simply feel there isn't much to comment.

Those people could have very different operating styles from you or me, and a good way we can respect them is to allow them their differences from ourselves (because we work this way does not require they do as well) :)

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

The drum pattern is arpeggiated and will have more variation (fills, differentiation in the Bridge, Chorus, etc) when complete.

I'd love to hear a sample of the Hindustani style you mention...I'm always up for learning something new.

Re: the last comment...I wasn't being entirely serious there...I was making light of the situation for the benefit of our Moderator. ;) I do realize lots of people view these things and don't comment for any number of reasons. With a piece this early in development, they were likely doing me a favor.

:thu:

• Members

I'd love to hear a sample of the Hindustani style you mention...I'm always up for learning something new.

Its fairly easy to source, much of the "non pop" sitar and surbahar music you will hear is Hindustani - though, fo yur puposes, I'd stick t the Alap section of a raga - Nikhil Banerjee, Imrat Khan might be good places t start

Now, it is a substantially different musical language so it takes some time to understand it. However, that may be exactly where it is instructive, it's the sensibility within that language that contains the instrctive concepts (as opposed to just some quick techniques)

Re: the last comment...I wasn't being entirely serious there...I was making light of the situation for the benefit of our Moderator.
;)

Same-same, just a reflection - that's how these sorts of comments go

a little edge, a little wink, a little nudge ;)

• Members

i think there's an interesting homoerotic undercurrent here, or perhaps simply repressed sexuality coming to the surface

"long" and "hard" and "on my knees" are very interesting word choices, particularly in this genre

• Members

A very famous psychoanalyst once said; "your interpretation may tell you more about
yourself
than about your subject".

Which one?

It sounds vaguely like Hermann Rorschach (but I can't say I recall that quote)

It can be an interesting device, certainly, but application can be quite difficult as it becomes recursive. The interpretation OF the interpretation is also subject to that (so - as the quotation points our - in turn, our interpretation of eclepto punk's interpretation may tell us more about ourselves than our subject, eclepto punk or his/her interpretation)

• Members

Since the subject has come up, Eclepto was not the only one to notice that combination of images. I suspected it said more about my own suspicious mind, so I didn't mention anything. Still, since the issue has emerged I thought I ought to say something now. It is something that some folks are going to notice, which is an uncomfortable reality.

Archived