Need tips kind Sirs and Madams

THeLoveGun

• Members

I'm very curious as to how you write songs. the whole process. (silly question)

I'd imagine you'd have steps before the final form of art.

eg. melody, then, rhythm, lyrics... (as a general example)

how do you get about from square one?

• Members

It really varies for every writer, and often for each piece.

Some people have a set process they follow, but many people get inspiration from the strangest of places (not the least of which is new sounds, pedals, etc) and can have a melody or a lyric running through their head at any given time. My favorite is when you wake up with a nearly complete piece in your head - just be sure you're not replaying something you've heard elsewhere, lol!

For me, I often come up with the music first, while tinkering on a keyboard workstation, then work the lyrics in as I go...Often building in a bridge, etc., after verses and chorus are already done. But that's not always the case, and it's certainly not always the case for everyone.

Bound to see lots of variety in this thread. :)

• Members

I'm very curious as to how you write songs. the whole process. (silly question)

I'd imagine you'd have steps before the final form of art.

eg. melody, then, rhythm, lyrics... (as a general example)

how do you get about from square one?

I build everything around changes (chord progressions.) I'll put together a chord progression that I find compelling, decide if it's a verse, a chorus, or something else, and then find a matching part to go with it for other song parts. As far as how many of each part to use, i just let my musical taste guide that construction...I like short songs that are to the point, so I put together shorter songs usually. I have a short attention span. Anyway, the whole time I'm doing this, stringing together changes, I'm usually humming a melody and that melody almost always becomes either a vocal line or a guitar melody part. Then I record all the parts and listen to it in the car for a while, humming and singing scratch vocals to figure out what consonants and cadence and phonetics I find compliment it. It all goes from there.

To some degree, once I get rolling the song really writes itself.

• Members

For me, it's often easier to start with lyrics first. They usually end up suggesting something, somehow.

Every now and then I come up with some music I want to make into a song and it's often more difficult.

In fact, I've been wrestling with a set of chords for the last 4 or 5 days... singing nonsense syllables over the chords in different ways... trying to carve away the stone to find the statue... as it were.

• Members

I guess i'm more comfortable lately starting with lyrics and then pass to the melody. but it's very individual. personally, I know I can't do it alone. i need someone else to start humming something, and then I say No,No, I have a better idea... lol, but seriously... for me it's easier together. when you have another mind thinking with you, it's easier to know what you want...

• Members

I start out with a melody or a rhythm. Then I begin to add other instruments and filler parts. Then I start to focus on the song structure. Once I have a decent (very) rough draft, I begin to mess around with sounds. I also take this time to edit any and every imperfection of my recorded parts with MIDI tools. It is then I try to make a complete (although open to change) rough draft of the song--meaning that I try to have the basic foundation of the song; the length; the structure; the feel, etc. Once I get this far, the song just writes itself. I add, take away, add again, until I feel it is a song that is well polished. Then I just tweak it to the best of my recording abilities and there it is.

• Members

I write lyric ideas down and usually have a backlog of 'em. so what happens is:

1) the lyric comes to me with a meloday, possibly even a 'head arrangement' (rhythm, chords) that I then try to reproduce on whatever instrument feels right (guitar, bass, keys, sometimes drums)

2) contrarywise, sometimes when playing an instrument I come up with a riff or tune or groove that feels good, I go to the workbook and try out unattached/unfinished lyric ideas with that groove. when this works, the groove stamps its identity on the lyric, rather than the other way around.

I used to very occasionally come up with songs while playing guitar, just get the idea and it starts to flow onto the paper, but that seems to happen less and less.

• Members

What I've started doing is composing a riff or hook I thats really banging. Once I was on to somthing out of habit I would make it a verse and then when the chorus came (in my opinion the part of the song that everyone sings and knows) I would be stuck to add something awsome. So now what i do is when I write somthing killer, I used straight away as a chorus.

Thats my tip!

• Members

usually I'll start with music and in most cases the words come while playing.

As said above this is not on every occurance for at times I do have the lyrics and put the music to them.

Like MB says it's great when you wake up with a tune in your head already to go and everything is in place when you hit the record button. Oft times for me if the song doesn't happen within a few minutes I have to really work on it to bring it out which is really a bummer because I hate having to work on a song. It seems the more it takes to get it the less appeal it has to me whereas it really should be the other way around.

• Members

I start with a song idea. I create a melody that enhances the mood I want and start thinking about a hook, chorus, the first few lines, etc... I play around with that a little. When I finally actually write the song, it is done in about five minutes.

• Members

Its easier for me to play the music first before I start writing. That way I can fit the syllables to the meter of the music.

That being said I have written a few songs w/ lyrics first, but even then I have an "imaginary" beat going on inside my head that I can fit syllables to.

Archived