Your Favorite Songwriter?

Nick*

• Members

I doubt I could pick one, so like everyone else, I'm making lists.

Obvious choices:
Paul McCartney
John Lennon
Brian Wilson
The Motown songwriters (H/D/H, Smokey, etc.)
Pete Townshend
Carole King
James Taylor
Andy Partridge

Not-so-obvious choices:
Jason Falkner
Rod Argent (especially his Zombies stuff)
Andy Sturmer and Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. (both with Jellyfish and without)
Rivers Cuomo
Adam Schlesinger and Chris Collingwood (Fountains of Wayne, and on their own)
Jeff Tweedy (I like his songs better than Jay Farrar - sorry)
Nuno Bettencourt
Chris Murphy, Andrew Scott, Jay Ferguson, Patrick Pentland (all from Sloan - and they all write)
Craig Northey and Steven Drake (Odds)
Ty Tabor, Doug Pinnick, and Jerry Gaskill (King's X)

Brian V.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude's a best selling author too. His latest book "Swine Not?" has got to be right up there with Hemmingway's best.*

*is what I might say if I'd actually read it.

Hey, Kinky Friedman also went the prose route, too, with a series of mystery novels. It's an aging songwriter thing to do, I guess.

I had a couple chapters about a brave and handsome database programmer turned recording engineer who was gonna solve mysteries but I've never, ever gotten to the fourth chapter of anything, no matter how much I drank. Er... tried. (Stopped drinking but haven't stopped dreaming about writing the next great American hardboiled detective story.)

• Members

I think that was the ballsiest thing I've ever seen on TV. The sad part is that she has people in the commercial writing for her and telling her the correct things to say.

Forgot to mention the Bee Gees. Give credit where credit is due even though I'm a rock-n-roller.

• Moderators

I doubt I could pick one, so like everyone else, I'm making lists.

Obvious choices:

Paul McCartney

John Lennon

Brian Wilson

The Motown songwriters (H/D/H, Smokey, etc.)

Pete Townshend

Carole King

James Taylor

Andy Partridge

Not-so-obvious choices:

Jason Falkner

Rod Argent (especially his Zombies stuff)

Andy Sturmer and Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. (both with Jellyfish and without)

Rivers Cuomo

Adam Schlesinger and Chris Collingwood (Fountains of Wayne, and on their own)

Jeff Tweedy
(I like his songs better than Jay Farrar - sorry)

Nuno Bettencourt

Chris Murphy, Andrew Scott, Jay Ferguson, Patrick Pentland (all from Sloan - and they all write)

Craig Northey and Steven Drake (Odds)

Ty Tabor, Doug Pinnick, and Jerry Gaskill (King's X)

Brian V.

Great list. I've bolded the ones I know and agree with. And these guys: Adam Schlesinger and Chris Collingwood (Fountains of Wayne, and on their own)...

They're one of the only modern day equivalents to The Brill Building or Tin Pan Alley. Consistent songwriting. Cleverness to spare. And can be a hack for hire and still be brilliant. Great choice.

• Members

I bought a Bright Eyes CD one time based solely on the album art, had never heard of him before. Was quite impressed with what I heard.

I think "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" is one of the best albums ever.

Good call to the people who said John Fogerty too. His solo work is incredible.

• Members

No, that's a good thing!

It shows (or to the extent you buy the Paris Plan, anhow) that she knows how to delegate authority to subordinates who know how to do their homework. It's a mark of a good leader.

It is not, of course, the only metric. I thought that bathing suit was awful. I'm not sure I'd want my president parading around the WH pool in something like that. VP, maybe.

• Members
I think "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" is one of the best albums ever.

Good call to the people who said John Fogerty too. His solo work is incredible.

I love that album... in fact I'm listening to it as we speak :cop:

My favorite part is from Road to Joy

I could of been a famous singer
if I had someone else's voice
but failures always sounded better
let's {censored} it up boys make some noise

and than it just goes insane chaos mode.

• Members

Dave Grohl. His stuff before and right after Nirvana is so awesome and dirty. Like he says, 'Your focus in music shouldn't be how technical or challenging it is, all that matters is how good it is songicly. (how good of a song it is).'

And maaan does he ever beat the {censored} out of drums. No fancy drum solos either.

• Members

A dozen classic Canadian songwriters for the mix...

Bruce Cockburn
Joni Mitchell
Neil Peart (Rush)
Jim Vallance
Miles Goodwyn (April Wine)
Tom Cochrane (Red Rider)
Bryan Adams
Daniel Langois
Pye DuBois (Max Webster & Kim Mitchell)
Leonard Cohen
Jan Arden
Gordon Lightfoot

Honorable mention to Lenny Breau and Bill Bourne who didn't make the list. :)

• Members

1) Thom Yorke - absolutely brilliant artist. period.

2) Hawksley Workman - a multi-instrumentalist from Canada who strangely few people know. he experiments with many different genres and is without a doubt one of the greatest songwriters in the world.

3) Conor Oberst - a young bob dylan.

4) Leonard Cohen - the best lyricist ever.

5) Bob Dylan - bob dylan.

6) Damien Rice - heartbreaking lyrics and a pretty voice.

7) Jeff Buckley - grace is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

8) Neil Young - neil young.

9) Finn Andrews - frontman of The Veils. anyone who hasn't heard the album "The Runaway Found" MUST listen to it. He was 17 when it was recorded and it's completely captivating.

10) Tom Waits - the most gravelly voice I have ever heard.

• Members

Justin Hayward. The guy could drag words out of a rock. Most folks know him as the lead guitarist for The Moody Blues. The bass player, John Lodge, was also capable. Not the most popular band of their time but their songs are enduring the test of time.

Also, John and Terry Talbot of Mason Proffit came up with some great songs. Again, they weren't front-runners but there was some soul to their stuff. If I had to group them I'd say they were the first of the indy bands and alternate country. Two Hangmen was their most played song. Their music was influential to the acoustic genre of the early 70's.

Joni Mitchell was a phenomenal song-crafter. Her album Court And Spark, when she got into a jazzy style, was a piece or art.

John Denver - Despite his lack of mainstream style and popularity, he was also a songsmith. I didn't get into his style much but there was a place on the edge for him with me.

Paul Simon - Great writer/lyricist

Bob Dylan - Same

Cat Stevens - Loved the Greek influence of his sound

Jethro Tull - Ian Anderson (flute rocker, nonetheless)

Jackson Brown

New Riders Of The Purple Sage (NRPS - also early alt. country)

Bernie Taupin / Elton John

Traffic (acoustic)

There are many others but these people were high on my list when I actively listened to music many years ago.

• Members

I agree with most of the songwriters listed: Waters, McCartney, Lennon, Cuomo, Yorke, Gallagher etc., etc.

I really can't believe Johnny Rzeznik hasn't been mentioned yet. Songs like "We Are the Normal", "Name", "Naked", and "On the Lie" are brilliant if you ask me. SERIOUSLY underrated because of the Dolls' later work, but Rzeznik's early writing not only lyrically but melody wise is on par with many of the greats.

Archived