Your Favorite Songwriter?

Nick*

• Members

Just wondering who your favorite songwriters are.

Why are they your favorite?

Who has been the most influential on you?

My favorite would have to be Chris Cornell. The Temple of The Dog album was such a magnificent piece of work. Anyone who has not heard it MUST hear it. He is probably also one of the greatest vocalists in rock music.

His ability to write rough grungy riffs (Badmotorfinger album) and then switch to a slower softer side (Euphoria Morning album) has had a major impact on my songwriting (although I doubt it would be noticeable). I'm also amazed by his ability to write great "dark rock" music.

Just trying to make a different topic- hope it's okay to make a thread like this here.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John O ... from Five For Fighting ... love his words and melodies, the voice can get old after a while though.

Jim Croce ... perhaps the king in my mind.

Lyle Lovett, a humorous and satyrical look at life

Ryan Adams .... excellent catchy tunes ... has begun to fade in my rotation

Karen Peris-Innocence Mission ... brings me peace during chaos

Adam Duritz, the Rain King

• Members

don't have alot of opinion here. But I just discovered this guy Townes Van Zandt. SOrta like what I hear on his live cds.

Excellent choice but I actually prefer his songs done by other folks.

Lyle Lovett covers 2 of his songs on the Step Inside this House recordings

• Members

When I was a kid I used to organize my musical tastes in hierarchies but even then I was always juggling things around.

I have so many favorite writers -- hard to remember all my favorites. I love Gene Clark, Sam Bean (Iron & Wine), Richard Thompson, Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse), Hank Williams, David Bowie, John Prine, Leonard Cohen, early Dylan, Guy Clark, Hoagie Carmichael, Neil Young, early Jagger (a really undervalued writer, considering some of the very well written songs in the 60s and 70s)... the list goes on and on...

• Members

don't have alot of opinion here. But I just discovered this guy Townes Van Zandt. SOrta like what I hear on his live cds.

Yep, he's great. Unrecognized talent Michael Timmons of the Cowboy Junkies is one of my favorites. Joni Mitchell of course, Bob Dylan in a both a serious and wacky sort of way.

• Members

my favourites are david bowie, proper pop, proper written. Love his music and his bizzare techniques such as the jumbling lines around by cutting them out.

mark knopfler, all simple not the best singer but that all makes it real and earthy and heart felt.

quinn and burt from the used, it takes alot to write that kind of music and make it sound good, the albums dont get samey and borin like many albums i have in that genre. they rock

and of course the one and only dave gilmour and floyd - dont need to say why

• Members

Hey all,

This my first post here on the songwriting forum although I've been posting at Craig's SSS forum for awhile. Here's my top handful of writers in no particular order:

Nick Lowe

Marshall Crenshaw

Lennon/McCartney

Pete Townshend

Lyle Lovett

Brian Wilson

Leiber/Stoller

I'm starting to get back into writing more, so I hope to be posting here more often.

• Members

You stole my answer! TVZ has influenced my songwriting the most.

Blue2Blue, you got the rest: Leonard Cohen, Guy Clark, early Dylan...

• Members

I always liked Havana Daydreamin', He Went to Paris, and of course, Son of a Son of a Sailor:

As the son of a son of a sailor

I went out on the sea for adventure

Expanding the view of the captain and crew

Like a man just released from indenture

As a dreamer of dreams and a traveling man

I have chalked up many a mile

Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks

And I learned much from both of their styles

• Members

I always thought "Why Don't We Get Drunk and S---w" had a certain poignance.

:D

Dude's a best selling author too. His latest book "Swine Not?" has got to be right up there with Hemmingway's best.*

*is what I might say if I'd actually read it.

Archived