When you're writing a song.....

Mark L

• Members

I write with major minors etc, but then once I have the root I tend to see if I can riff them and mod them to somthing more. I started doing this method when i realised that if I had a few drinks and wanted to jam with my stereo (no band deano, thats me) if I was lazy i would simply work out the chords rather than the complex and jam away. Then I tought hey, surely it could work the other way round. Still need the band though:rolleyes:

• Members

I do not write songs just like that, quasi for nothing. Before I write a song I need to know who the artist is, from then on it could be anything I think will make sense

That's a good point. It's important that the song structure fit the content and the intended audience. You don't want to load up a punk rocker with a bunch of augmented ninth chords.

• Members

Definitely a simple major, minor, sometimes 7th guy. Once upon a time, for some reason, I decided I wanted triadic chords to be my "sound". That wouldn't be particularly unique if I were a guitarist (guitarists in general tend to use simpler chords), but I'm a keyboard player, and most of my "species" seem to gravitate toward more complex, jazzy sort of chords. I decided to go in just the opposite direction, and that's pretty much the musical path I've stuck with since.

However, one area I have gotten pretty adventurous is in experimenting with bass substitutions, or "slash chords", as they're often called. Every song I write, I always seem to wind up using at least a few of them.

• Members

My tastes are what guide the construction of the chord progressions I put together.

If I was working for someone, a publisher, and writing for dough, I would probably be letting common pop sense form the changes.

I like people who can put together catchy music with pop sensibilities but do so outside the box...rules are good for art sometimes because they force people to do a lot with a little. When there are no rules, it's good and it's bad...(can of worms.)

Archived