Honest Opinions Please

OAFCORE

• Members

This is not intended to be a shameless plug, I'm new to the forums. My band is currently writing our first full-length and I would like a little input on our EP from some the music community to inspire our new material...let me have it. I'm more interested in the bad then the good....I play guitar BTW and wrote this material before we got our other guitar player....

http://www.HumTheDrone.com

THANKS!

• Members

Overall it's more defined than a lot of similar stuff. The mix seems cleaner than I expected. You've got a very good drummer, but the toms/kick are a little too buried in the mix.

Your singer has a good voice and is deftly riding the line between deth metal and rock/HM. I got to give him a nod for being able to rein it in when he needs to- he's got some control and very good pitch.

I think you're committing a common sin that I hear in so many alt/rock/thrash bands- the bassist is totally lost in the mix. From the few clips I can actually hear him, he sounds pretty good- get him out there a little bit.

The guitarists sound like they're competing in places- not directly necessarily, but like there's still something stilted or uncommon between them in places. You mention this was written before the other guitarist came in- I have no idea how long you've played together, it may be something that works itself out.

I can't critique on the lyrics much since you didn't post any and much of it is not understandable. the bits I can discern, it sounds interesting.

Now for the hard part... you guys are obviously good; you're playing out and you hear plenty of compliments- you don't need any more from me, so here ya go... I can hit 5 post-metal/alt/thrash/whatever-you-want-to-call-it bands with a rock from my house that are good. I know a few in my area alone that open for whatever big act comes through, and would give you a run for your money. The point is, I think you're in a safety zone, the same as them. This genre is just boilerplate at this point- it's THE easiest style to be cool with at no risk. I like some heavy stuff as much as the next guy, but it irritates me that the precision and harmonies of the early acts (Iron Maiden/UFO/Judas Priest) and the power and dissonance of speed metal (Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax) has been reduced to a style derived from the least of both. Now you can argue that this has happened across all styles and I wouldn't disagree, but this one is a little closer to me, and you asked. Honestly, this isn't a dig against your band per se, but I think a band from this arena is equipped to create the next thing, so I push for it. Maybe I'm trying to change a beast that doesn't want to change- if so, then disregard.

I think you guys have talent and are able to work together- I would really be interested to hear even the scratch takes of you guys trying something different.

• Members

Overall it's more defined than a lot of similar stuff. The mix seems cleaner than I expected. You've got a very good drummer, but the toms/kick are a little too buried in the mix.

Your singer has a good voice and is deftly riding the line between deth metal and rock/HM. I got to give him a nod for being able to rein it in when he needs to- he's got some control and very good pitch.

I think you're committing a common sin that I hear in so many alt/rock/thrash bands- the bassist is totally lost in the mix. From the few clips I can actually hear him, he sounds pretty good- get him out there a little bit.

The guitarists sound like they're competing in places- not directly necessarily, but like there's still something stilted or uncommon between them in places. You mention this was written before the other guitarist came in- I have no idea how long you've played together, it may be something that works itself out.

I can't critique on the lyrics much since you didn't post any and much of it is not understandable. the bits I can discern, it sounds interesting.

Now for the hard part... you guys are obviously good; you're playing out and you hear plenty of compliments- you don't need any more from me, so here ya go... I can hit 5 post-metal/alt/thrash/whatever-you-want-to-call-it bands with a rock from my house that are good. I know a few in my area alone that open for whatever big act comes through, and would give you a run for your money. The point is, I think you're in a safety zone, the same as them. This genre is just boilerplate at this point- it's THE easiest style to be cool with at no risk. I like some heavy stuff as much as the next guy, but it irritates me that the precision and harmonies of the early acts (Iron Maiden/UFO/Judas Priest) and the power and dissonance of speed metal (Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax) has been reduced to a style derived from the least of both. Now you can argue that this has happened across all styles and I wouldn't disagree, but this one is a little closer to me, and you asked. Honestly, this isn't a dig against your band
per se
, but I think a band from this arena is equipped to create the next thing, so I push for it. Maybe I'm trying to change a beast that doesn't want to change- if so, then disregard.

I think you guys have talent and are able to work together- I would really be interested to hear even the scratch takes of you guys trying something different.

You know I would have to agree with you on the overplayed genre. We try to be 'progressive' and experiment with different time signatures, structural complexities, and key and tempo changes but I do feel that sometimes we end up sounding like our influences. Which I suppose isn't a bad thing; a band the musical layman can enjoy because it sounds familiar, but also a band that appeals to a musician's taste with our intricacies and attention to detail. I do agree though, we need to branch out a little and create a style all our own...thank you very much...that was very good feedback and I really appreciate it....

• Members

I'm not qualified to really comment on whether or not this will work for fans of the genre but I found the two tracks I listened to to have a bit more of musical interest to me than other hardcore/screamo type stuff I've been hearing lately. I liked the fact that, while the music was relentless, the recording wasn't so squashed that it was totally fatiguing to listen to, as so much contemporary rock is. I could imagine the choice of making the vocalist fairly prominent has been provocative to some listeners. Me, I find it a nice novelty to actually be able to follow some of the lyrics. (I could use a touch more bass and drums, myself, but that's way outside the purview of songwriting and, like I said, I'm very much not your target audience.)

Anyhow, I think it sounds pretty good in many ways and I found it more interesting than a lot of stuff I've heard lately. Whether or not me kinda liking it is a good thing or not, I ain't so sure... :D

Archived