New song: This Is a Beer Night

eddieboston2

• Members

So, this one isn't going to change the world or anything. I'm just going for a fun little number to play out at bars and get the crowd "warmed up," so to speak.

Thoughts welcome.

Some nights when we sit and watch the moonshine

All we need is each other and a jug of wine

I just look in your eyes I can't help but be thinking

This fruit of the vine is all I'll ever be drinking

But sometimes when the Pats are winning,

I forget all the loving songs I been singin'

Put down the glass, let's get out of here

Tonight's a night we're gonna drink some beer.

This is a beer night

Slap me down a Miller Light

A frosty drink to make me feel alright

So if it's really all the same

I'd rather go and watch the game

And make this a beer night.

In the Sahara where it's hot and getting hotter

Would have given up a kingdom for a glass of water.

In the land where nothing but the cactus grow

I was dying for a drink of clean H2O.

But some days when I'm down at the oasis

I drink like I don't know what a resting place is

So gimme something cold as the morning dew

Just don't water down my mug of tasty foamy brew

• Members

I could too easily envision this as a rabble-rousing power chord-chorus bar anthem with a bunch of corporate rock guitars -- and that's reinforced by the inclusion of the decidedly non-real-beer drinker beverage, Miller Lite, the most washed out and pathetic excuse for beer America has ever produced and packaged, not to mention the bastardized product that started the whole lite beer phenom. (Hint: if you want 2/3 the calories and 2/3 the alcohol -- drink 1/3 less beer -- don't pour freaking water in it.)

I haven't had a beer or anything else since 1994, but beer was an integral part of my life style and I considered myself definitely an enthusiast and maybe something of a n epicure as well.

And you lost all beer-guzzling credibility with me on both fronts with the mention of Miller Lite.

:D

PS... Nice guitar playing, as always! ;)

• Members

It's threading the thin-line between novelty song and beer commercial jingle. Either is fine, depends on what you want to do. You can definitely make a go at selling this to some advertising company. I've certainly heard songs like this in many beer commercials.

Edit: Eddie Boston is an awesome beer drinker jingle name btw, is that your real name. I easily picture some guy at a N.H bar/seafood restaurant open mic singing this tune on a cold winter night with a bottle of Sam in front of him.

• Members

I like it. For the purpose that you mentioned, it's just fine. My one suggestion would be to hammer home the chorus, repeating it after each verse, get the crowd joining in on "This is a....". Note that this comment pertains to the arrangement, not the writing.

Maybe one less verse???

Admission - I like beer. Lots of good microbrews here in Ontario. Never had a Miller Lite (not a fan of heifeweis, either).

cheers

R

• Members

I like it. For the purpose that you mentioned, it's just fine. My one suggestion would be to hammer home the chorus, repeating it after each verse, get the crowd joining in on "This is a....".

Thanks, MDR. I like that idea. I'll give it a try and see how it sounds.

• Members

I had the same thoughts as Blue - was expecting a Monday Night Football rocker based solely on the title. It grew on me as I listened though and I thought it was pretty cool the way it was.

Could be an anthem song with a little more production. It would have to be much shorter for the ADD types that watch tv - verse/chorus only maybe. You could have a long version on Letterman though :thu:

• Members

Nice, in a Jimmy Buffet kind of way. My personal preference is that a song about drinking beer needs a little more gusto behind it.

And if you could build a rhyme scheme around "craft-brewed Belgian Dubbel Heifeveisen" that would be awesome.

• Members
Perhaps, but "craft-brewed Belgian Dubbel Heifeveisen" doesn't quite fit the meter or rhyme-scheme.
;)

I'd probably lean more toward Negra Modelo, but that's also syllabically overpopulated for your purposes. Guinness Stout works, syllable-wise but might require some rhyme tinkering... I forget the context now. (Happens so much these days. :D )

• Members

I was in Tijuana with Me'Shell NdegeOcello

The signs in the street advertised a bordello

First girl she sees, Me'Shell goes "Hello!"

And left me alone with my Negro Modelo.

I'm not sensing the internal rhythms -- but I love the basic rhyme scheme and narrative flow. With the right delivery and backtracks... I don't want to say, instant hit, but with the right video -- and, crucially, a guest star turn from Me'Shell -- I think you can start thinking about what color vintage XKE convertible you're going to buy...

• Members

This sounds a bit "jingle-esc" to me. A simple little tune with a ping-pong folk-country guitar line. However, what really holds this song back is the performance. You'd expect a song like this to be very bouncy and fun, but as is...it just trudges along and isn't very exciting. It makes me want to fall asleep and skip the night of drinking I had planned.

• Members

Well I ran from that place like the bulls in Pamplona

Like a stock car around the last turn in Daytona

Dissapearing like an aura returned to Sedona

It was wrong - I really just wanted a Corona.

The hot desert wind dried the sweat on my face

I had trouble keeping my toupee in place

Thirst was a hazard, but in his briefcase

My servant carried twelve Dos Eques

• Members

The hot desert wind dried the sweat on my face

I had trouble keeping my toupee in place

Thirst was a hazard, but in his briefcase

My servant carried twelve Dos Eques

I kind of like this idea of silly rhymes for Mexican beers but, as eddiefromboston points out, I need to brush up on my Spanish pronunciation before I go too much further.

Tecate anyone?

• Members

I kind of like this idea of silly rhymes for Mexican beers but, as eddiefromboston points out, I need to brush up on my Spanish pronunciation before I go too much further.

Tecate anyone?

How about Flemish?

I searched for a bag to put the last bread slice in

I blocked up the holes to keep all the mice in

A blizzard was raging, the sidewalks were icin

Archived