First posts here - 2 songs (love/death...of course!)

shawngibson

• Members

I gave up music about 12 years ago, but my Mom just died so I needed to get back into it. Please be honest...brutal is good (good way to grow if it's honest!). I think they need breathing room and I hope they aren't corny...

Shawn

SILENCE (The Loudest Noise on Earth)

(Verse 1)

The hour hand moves so slow

Each infinite tick just brings me down

All I want is to hear you now

When the sun crashes down on the new day

(Verse2)

When you don

• Members

Nice gear list; you've set yourself up well to get back to it. I am so grateful that once music is in us and part of our lives it is always there for us.

If you don't mind I will not critique these lyrics at all except to say that they are not corny. Clearly your mother is very present in them.

You write well; I hope to see more. :wave:

• Members

I couldn't agree more. I thought with so many years of absence it would be like starting over...but it has been more like riding a bike. I'll never be Mr. Technical again (a good thing probably LOL) but the basics and all the theory (modes etc.) are all still there; I can only hope they get refined over the next months/years. I'd like to mature, I never cared about anything except 3-note-per-string stuff when I was a kid.

Thanks kindly for the words too, I appreciate knowing they don't appear corny. Now it's time to start strumming and putting it all together...

Shawn

• Members

That's exactly what I meant by breathing, I think they are both too wordy. I'll have to try to spend a few weeks or however long it takes trimming them down, or when I hire a singer I'll get shot...or not be able to even hire a singer...unless I'm doing rap...which I ain't LOL.

• Members

I don't have a ton of time right now to break these down. However, I do agree that there are a lot of words here that aren't buying you much in terms of imagery or emotions. There's lots of connective tissue here (pronouns, articles, little non-actiony connecting verbs). Basically, without your backstory/biographical info I wouldn't know what your specifically talking about. I think you need to get some real definitive, specific images on the page and then tweak.

• Members

I don't have a ton of time right now to break these down. However, I do agree that there are a lot of words here that aren't buying you much in terms of imagery or emotions. There's lots of connective tissue here (pronouns, articles, little non-actiony connecting verbs). Basically, without your backstory/biographical info I wouldn't know what your specifically talking about. I think you need to get some real definitive, specific images on the page and then tweak.

This could be rewritten slightly and made into a sticky. :)

• Members

That's exactly what I meant by breathing, I think they are both too wordy. I'll have to try to spend a few weeks or however long it takes trimming them down, or when I hire a singer I'll get shot...or not be able to even hire a singer...unless I'm doing rap...which I ain't LOL.

• Members

Thanks Marko. I can definitely see a lot of dead air in Sunday Sun (I've had issues with that aspect since the first 2 verses were written...it's just too...breathy/too many filler words), but I wouldn't know how to reduce Silence except to chop it up a bit, I mean the lines are saying what they need to say based on what it is I 'am' trying to say, if that makes sense.

The first song is actually about a woman, not my Mom; the second is, of course, about my Mom and my very good friend (who heard some bad news about her own Dad that day). I don't know how to take real life and artificiate it for the sake of imagery (I'm not very symbol-based in my head), but then again I had the same problem writing poetry for my entire life...I'm not particularly colourful.

I'll try to disseminate Monday Sun to it's core, and see if I can give more room for a singer and less time wasted on connecting words...wish me luck:)

Shawn

• Members

OK 2 more, any better? I loved someone when my Mom was dying so i am pretty {censored}ed up:

Take/Down

(Intro)

One more glass of antifreeze

One more lie to ease inside

You bury just the parts of you

I wanna open wide

(Verse1)

One more unreal memory

Down your throat's that burning fire

Swallow all your misery

I don't wanna wallow in your mire

(Verse2)