Tips for composing Folk/Celtic Metal?

Enzan

• Members

Hi there. My friend just started to compose folk/celtic metal (he is really good at it) for our new band and I would like to contribute somehow, but i'm really inexperienced in writing folk metal songs. I know some good folk metal bands (Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, Moonsorrow) but sometimes inspiration is not enough. I tend to copy thier style, thier riff or thier melodies because I don't really know where to start.

I know I should listen to core folk/celtic, but I don't know any.

Maybe you guys can help me somehow? Any tips are welcome!

BTW sorry for my bad english!

• Members

Thank you very much rasdasiv but I just red all the entire post and it is praticly all about the overall tone.. Plus that guy's song is great but is not our style at all.

I would like some tips on folk metal songwriting and/or some core folk band ideas.

• Members

learn as much note for note KELTIC JAMS as you are able.

The metal side is just a FUSION of the TWO DISTINCT genres.

So get away from JUST the songs you are playing.

instead learn at least 50(fifty) celt tunes. from a large number of authors.

then learn a large number of METAL tunes.

then FUSE what you have larned into a NEW genre.

once you larn all them tunes you'll be AUTHENTIC.

be AUTHENTIC.

be the ball.

be...

• Members

Thank you very much Taylor, your post is very helpful! I will follow your advices!

Unfortunatly I still need some folk/celtic band ideas... I found this band called "The Bothy Band". but it sounds a little bit too happyfull to me :(

[YOUTUBE]XgXwIIHAmaw[/YOUTUBE]

like ZOMFG who would fuse METAL with THAT.

• Members

Yeah... I mean, I've been listening to celtic folk-derived music on and off all day (mostly Pentangle but with some others as well). As someone who's listened to various folk, banjo and fiddle tunes since the early 60s, it's kind of in my blood.

This above is obviously pretty much in that general bag (with the possible exception of the electric clavinet, anyhow. ;) )

• Members

Yes I never said it is not celtic. But I feel like it is not exactly the type of folk i'm searching for..

I mean listen to this:

[YOUTUBE]iijKLHCQw5o[/YOUTUBE]

It is Eluveitie's metal version of Tri Martolod. Sounds much more "serious" to me

• Members

Hi,

I just found this band called "Luar na Lubre":

[YOUTUBE]d-xaCxwww5A[/YOUTUBE]

Listen from 1:20. That is exactly what I'm looking for. If any of you know similar bands, please let me know!

By the way, thank you for the comments so far!

• Members

I really like that band Luar na Lubre, they are really melodic which to me is what any derivation of Celtic music is all about. I didn't like Eluveitie as much, it seemed a little forced and less emphasis on a strong melody. As for other bands to check out, I would listen to some Flogging Molly. They are more of a punk Celtic mix, but there music is incredibly powerful, with melody, lyrics and stuff that is ridiculously fun to mosh to.

• Members

Listen from 1:20. That is exactly what I'm looking for. If any of you know similar bands, please let me know!

By the way, thank you for the comments so far!

Ah... ok... I'm still not hearing any metal in there. But this just seems like the show band version of Celtic string band music.

With regards to past masters you might want to check out Steeleye Span, Pentangle, Fairport Convention -- but they all mix varying degrees of rock (and sometimes jazz) elements in.

Here are some other bands/artists you might check out:

Trees

The Watersons

The Albion Band

Ashley Hutchings

Fairport Convention

Maddy Prior

Martin Carthy

The Dransfields

Morris On

Silly Wizard

Fotheringay